moderated Change wording of "vote now" link in polls #suggestion #done

Andy

On Tue, Jan 4, 2022 at 05:54 PM, Mark Fletcher wrote:
That's already the case with the Unsubscribe link at the bottom of every email.

Yes, I remember that.  And did not much like it.

But -- Does it actually give someone else access to your GIO account?  Or does it just unsubscribe you, or prompt GIO to send you a confirmation email?

Leaving someone else's computer logged in to your account would not be a good thing, IMHO.

Andy

Glenn Glazer

On 01/04/2022 15:49, Bruce Bowman wrote:
On Tue, Jan 4, 2022 at 06:07 PM, Glenn Glazer wrote:
I would assume that if someone forwarded such a link to someone not in the group the link referenced, that the latter person's clicking on the link would not cause any changes to the group and just take them to an error or home page. Correct?
You could assume that, but that's not the way it works with the existing unsubscribe link. Anyone with the link can unsubscribe you.

Oh no. Thanks for correcting me... that's not optimal and I begin to understand the concerns others have.

My own preference would be to somehow divorce the voting function from the login function. Such a "vote now" link (or whatever we're calling it) would identify which member you are, and take you to a place where you can vote, but not actually log you in (i.e.: so you can't do any further damage).

Not a trivial exercise.

Regards,
Bruce

I think MFA is the solution to these problems. If the link holder can't respond correctly with the second auth form, then they aren't that person and no harm can be done.

Best,

Glenn

--
#calcare
PG&E Delenda Est

Bruce Bowman

[...]

On 01/04/2022 14:54, Mark Fletcher wrote:
On Tue, Jan 4, 2022 at 2:13 PM Andy <AI.egrps+io@...> wrote:
On Tue, Jan 4, 2022 at 04:39 PM, Mark Fletcher wrote:
... I think the ideal solution would be to have a custom Click Here To Vote link that automatically logged people in. ...

Hmm.  I don't like a link that automatically logs you in.  The member might forward the email to others, and then others have access to their GIO account.

That's already the case with the Unsubscribe link at the bottom of every email.

Mark

I would assume that if someone forwarded such a link to someone not in the group the link referenced, that the latter person's clicking on the link would not cause any changes to the group and just take them to an error or home page. Correct?

Thus, for a poll, it's the same as if they used the email they got from the group if they are in it and a no op if they aren't.

Best,

Glenn

--
#calcare
PG&E Delenda Est

On Tue, Jan 4, 2022 at 02:54 PM, Mark Fletcher wrote:
I don't like a link that automatically logs you in.
That's a common practice, and not just on this site. There's usually a warning not to forward the link to anyone.

On Tue, Jan 4, 2022 at 2:13 PM Andy <AI.egrps+io@...> wrote:
On Tue, Jan 4, 2022 at 04:39 PM, Mark Fletcher wrote:
... I think the ideal solution would be to have a custom Click Here To Vote link that automatically logged people in. ...

Hmm.  I don't like a link that automatically logs you in.  The member might forward the email to others, and then others have access to their GIO account.

That's already the case with the Unsubscribe link at the bottom of every email.

Mark

Thanks, Mark!
And Happy New Year, everyone!

Andy

On Tue, Jan 4, 2022 at 04:39 PM, Mark Fletcher wrote:
... I think the ideal solution would be to have a custom Click Here To Vote link that automatically logged people in. ...

Hmm.  I don't like a link that automatically logs you in.  The member might forward the email to others, and then others have access to their GIO account.

Or is that not what you meant?

Andy

On Mon, Jan 3, 2022 at 7:35 AM Andy <AI.egrps+io@...> wrote:
On Mon, Jan 3, 2022 at 09:41 AM, Bruce Bowman wrote:
Until we can figure out some way for people to vote without logging in, I don't think anything will help much.
It is probably do-able.  Many things can be done by email without needing to log-in (e.g., sending messages, approving or rejecting messages), and this would be one more, but it would need some coding to make it work.

Yep, similar to how the Unsubscribe link is custom per-member, I think the ideal solution would be to have a custom Click Here To Vote link that automatically logged people in. Alas, that will be some work, so I don't know when it'll happen. I have changed 'Vote Now' to 'Click Here To Vote'.

Andy

On Mon, Jan 3, 2022 at 09:41 AM, Bruce Bowman wrote:
Until we can figure out some way for people to vote without logging in, I don't think anything will help much.

It is probably do-able.  Many things can be done by email without needing to log-in (e.g., sending messages, approving or rejecting messages), and this would be one more, but it would need some coding to make it work.

Andy

Duane

On Sun, Jan 2, 2022 at 11:18 PM, J_Catlady wrote:
Several replied via email
I've devised a solution for this particular situation.  The hashtag #poll-notice is moderated so replies via email are queued.  Then I use the rejection notice I created (NoEmailVotes) which explains that you can't vote via email.  There are usually one or two that try to vote via email on each poll, but they quickly learn.

Duane

Bruce Bowman

On Mon, Jan 3, 2022 at 12:18 AM, J_Catlady wrote:
I know this will be hard to believe, but in the first poll I created in one of my groups (the one for my neighborhood), only three people figured out how to vote, and one of them is a techie. Hardly anybody understood the "vote now" link.
This is typical of my experience with polls.

Even if they do click on the link, most of them will be presented with the login page.

Several replied via email (even though the poll text specifically says not to do that), one emailed me offlist to say she "couldn't figure out how to vote in the poll," etc.
For what it's worth, you can keep subscribers from replying by email with appropriate settings on the #poll-notice hashtag.

I know, I know, how could they not get it? But maybe the link could be changed to say "click here to vote" instead of "vote now"?
Until we can figure out some way for people to vote without logging in, I don't think anything will help much.

Regards,
Bruce

Carol Good

We haven't used polls so haven't run into this particular problem, but I can sympathise. I run the website for the local drama group and the info on the last production had a large (as in about 2 inches in size!) purple button saying "book your tickets online at ticketsource". I had at least 5 people email asking how they could book.

Screaming "just click the button!" at my screen made me feel slightly better :)

Carol

I know this will be hard to believe, but in the first poll I created in one of my groups (the one for my neighborhood), only three people figured out how to vote, and one of them is a techie. Hardly anybody understood the "vote now" link.  Several replied via email (even though the poll text specifically says not to do that), one emailed me offlist to say she "couldn't figure out how to vote in the poll," etc. I told her the text had a "vote now" link, and she said it was "not obvious or intuitive."