moderated Chrono order is reversed when you click on new selection criterion in activity log #bug


 

I have a vague memory of this happening in times past, and possibly even a discussion about it here, but had not noticed it occurring in full force until a few days ago, and now it always happens: if I'm viewing the group activity log, which comes up with "all activity" as the default, it's in reverse chrono order, as it should be. But if I then click on any specific filter, e.g., "message activity," it immediately reverses and I'm seeing messages from 2015. And from then on, clicking on any other criterion, or even "all activity" itself again, doesn't reverse it back. They all show up with 2015 entries at the top. The only way to reverse it back is to click on the date ("created") column.
--
J

Messages are the sole opinion of the author, especially the fishy ones.
My humanity is bound up in yours, for we can only be human together. - Desmond Tutu


Pete Cook
 

think I reported this some time back. It's annoying and happens in the iOS app as well.

Pete


 

It can be more than annoying. People may not realize at first that the order switched. Even now, though I realize what’s happening (and some mods might not), it’s always a slight shock to see messages I that don’t belong (look weird and unexpected) at the top, and takes me a few seconds to get my bearings and click on “created.” And also, if clicking on a column is what causes the reversal, you would expect it to reverse by clicking on another column. But it doesn’t. It just stays that way ad Infinitum.


On Nov 22, 2021, at 12:07 PM, Peter Cook <peterscottcook@...> wrote:

I think I reported this some time back. It's annoying and happens in the iOS app as well.

Pete

--
J

Messages are the sole opinion of the author, especially the fishy ones.
My humanity is bound up in yours, for we can only be human together. - Desmond Tutu


 

Beat me to it, I had this in my drafts as I was going to submit it.

The problem is that while the Search button uses (the page?) default of CreatedDESC, the URLs for the buttons have the CreatedASC sort hardcoded:

<group>/activity?p=,???,,0,1,0,0

I think changing the 1 to 0 will inherit the "page default" of CreatedDESC, if that's how that works, instead of setting it to 2, force it to CreatedDESC.

Cheers,
Christos


 

On Mon, Nov 22, 2021 at 11:48 AM J_Catlady <j.olivia.catlady@...> wrote:
I have a vague memory of this happening in times past, and possibly even a discussion about it here, but had not noticed it occurring in full force until a few days ago, and now it always happens: if I'm viewing the group activity log, which comes up with "all activity" as the default, it's in reverse chrono order, as it should be. But if I then click on any specific filter, e.g., "message activity," it immediately reverses and I'm seeing messages from 2015. And from then on, clicking on any other criterion, or even "all activity" itself again, doesn't reverse it back. They all show up with 2015 entries at the top. The only way to reverse it back is to click on the date ("created") column.

This should be fixed now.

Thanks,
Mark 


Pete Cook
 

On Tue, Nov 23, 2021 at 07:20 PM, Mark Fletcher wrote:
This should be fixed now.
It is, indeed. Thanks, Mark!

Pete


 

This is still, or now, or again (or whatever) a problem when viewing Files. If you click on, say, Date uploaded, it displays them with earliest first, and you have to click on the column again to see the most recent first.
--
J

Messages are the sole opinion of the author, especially the fishy ones.
My humanity is bound up in yours, for we can only be human together. - Desmond Tutu


Andy
 

On Sat, Dec 11, 2021 at 07:32 PM, J_Catlady wrote:
This is still, or now, or again (or whatever) a problem when viewing Files. If you click on, say, Date uploaded, it displays them with earliest first, and you have to click on the column again to see the most recent first.

Is that a problem?  I think that is considered normal, listing files in increasing date order.  As far as I know, it's always been this way.

Of course there may be a question of what you want to consider "normal".  Clicking on "Name" or "Type" or "Size" all do the same thing: one click = ascending, two clicks = descending.

The Activity Log is different, because one would always want to see the newest entries first.

Andy


 

The files section is usually in reverse chrono order (latest first). When you click on a column, it reverses. That should not happen. I think it’s the same mechanism and  problem as the activity log issue originally described (by me) in this thread, and which Mark said was fixed. I can’t see any conceivably reasonable scenario where you’d want the years-old files to be listed first.


On Dec 11, 2021, at 8:58 PM, Andy <AI.egrps+io@...> wrote:

On Sat, Dec 11, 2021 at 07:32 PM, J_Catlady wrote:
This is still, or now, or again (or whatever) a problem when viewing Files. If you click on, say, Date uploaded, it displays them with earliest first, and you have to click on the column again to see the most recent first.

Is that a problem?  I think that is considered normal, listing files in increasing date order.  As far as I know, it's always been this way.

Of course there may be a question of what you want to consider "normal".  Clicking on "Name" or "Type" or "Size" all do the same thing: one click = ascending, two clicks = descending.

The Activity Log is different, because one would always want to see the newest entries first.

Andy

--
J

Messages are the sole opinion of the author, especially the fishy ones.
My humanity is bound up in yours, for we can only be human together. - Desmond Tutu


 

On Sat, Dec 11, 2021 at 09:05 PM, J_Catlady wrote:
where you’d want the years-old files to be listed first.
I should say, where you'd want them to be listed first *as the default*. That's not the current default in the unclicked-on display.
 
--
J

Messages are the sole opinion of the author, especially the fishy ones.
My humanity is bound up in yours, for we can only be human together. - Desmond Tutu


Andy
 

The files section is usually in reverse chrono order (latest first).

Actually, it is initially in ascending name order.

What do you mean by "usually"?

If you meant that the Groups.io Files section usually goes to reverse-chrono order the first time Uploaded is clicked, I think that would be incorrect because I think it has always worked the way it does now, starting with ascending order with the first click.

When you click on a column, it reverses. That should not happen.

Well, yes it should; but I may have incorrectly taken what you wrote out of context.  Clicking on a column that is not already sorted, puts it into ascending order by that column.  Clicking on a column that is already sorted, reverses the order.  That's how it should work.

I can’t see any conceivably reasonable scenario where you’d want the years-old files to be listed first.

For consistency?

One thing that bothers me about Groups.io, is its constantly changing landscape.  I like consistency.  I'm an old fart.  :-)

But seriously, this is what I expect.  It never bothered me before, and it doesn't bother me now because it seems natural.  There is a certain consistency to having all the columns work the same way.

Andy


Andy
 

On Sun, Dec 12, 2021 at 12:08 AM, J_Catlady wrote:
On Sat, Dec 11, 2021 at 09:05 PM, J_Catlady wrote:
where you’d want the years-old files to be listed first.
I should say, where you'd want them to be listed first *as the default*. That's not the current default in the unclicked-on display.

Now I'm confused, but I wonder if you mixed up two thoughts.  You now appear to be saying: "I can’t see any conceivably reasonable scenario where you'd want them to be listed first *as the default*."  (Substituting your corrected text into your earlier sentence.)

Anyway, now I'm wondering if you want to change:
- the default Files section order before anything is clicked,
- or the order when the Uploaded date is clicked once.
Call me confused.  (Which probably means I misread something.)

Andy


 

You’re right that it starts out as ascending alpha order on the name. But I still think the problem exists. Clicking on “date uploaded” should cause the latest to appear first (descending). I think all date fields should display in descending order. I don’t want to see files, activities, or anything else with dates to show me items from five years ago first. (Unless I specifically indicate that by clicking on the column a second time.)


On Dec 11, 2021, at 9:54 PM, Andy <AI.egrps+io@...> wrote:

On Sun, Dec 12, 2021 at 12:08 AM, J_Catlady wrote:
On Sat, Dec 11, 2021 at 09:05 PM, J_Catlady wrote:
where you’d want the years-old files to be listed first.
I should say, where you'd want them to be listed first *as the default*. That's not the current default in the unclicked-on display.

Now I'm confused, but I wonder if you mixed up two thoughts.  You now appear to be saying: "I can’t see any conceivably reasonable scenario where you'd want them to be listed first *as the default*."  (Substituting your corrected text into your earlier sentence.)

Anyway, now I'm wondering if you want to change:
- the default Files section order before anything is clicked,
- or the order when the Uploaded date is clicked once.
Call me confused.  (Which probably means I misread something.)

Andy

--
J

Messages are the sole opinion of the author, especially the fishy ones.
My humanity is bound up in yours, for we can only be human together. - Desmond Tutu


 


On 2021-12-12 02:46, J_Catlady via groups.io wrote:
But I still think the problem exists. Clicking on “date uploaded” should cause the latest to appear first (descending). I think all date fields should display in descending order. I don’t want to see files, activities, or anything else with dates to show me items from five years ago first. (Unless I specifically indicate that by clicking on the column a second time.)
 
I agree with J on this, from a practicality POV, things like name, email addy, delivery, etc, can have a default sort of ascending, but anything with dates should have a default sort of descending.  Plus changing that date default sort in Files would make it consistent with Topic/message view and Photos, where the Date or Posted column defaults to descending sort.

Cheers,
Christos


 

On Tue, Dec 14, 2021 at 05:01 PM, Christos Psarras wrote:
anything with dates should have a default sort of descending. 
Yes! Because if I click on Date, I'm looking for the latest content. You can always double click to see the stuff from years and years ago, but that shouldn't be the default.
 
--
J

Messages are the sole opinion of the author, especially the fishy ones.
My humanity is bound up in yours, for we can only be human together. - Desmond Tutu