Photo Size vs Photo Load Time #misc

Mike Hanauer

Hi All (asked on GMF with no response),

I reduced photo size to 488x488 hoping to reduce storage needs.

I then uploaded some .jpgs, and they ARE smaller. What was about 1MB became about 150KB on upload.

Yet, displaying the newly uploaded photos takes noticeably longer - it loads top to bottom in sections and takes much longer to fully display.

Why is this? Seems like a smaller file size should translate to faster download and display. What am I missing? What can I do?

Thanks for your thoughts and insights.

Andy

Are you downloading the photos, or displaying them in the webpage?  Groups.io might be taking longer to re-scale and image the file for you on the fly in your web browser.  It might be faster to just right-click Download and open it in your computer instead of the browser.

Bear in mind -- my use of "download" may not be the same as yours.  When I say "download" I mean transferring it as a file to my computer.  When I open or display an image in the web browser, that is not what I would call a "download".

Andy

Mark Fletcher

On Mon, Nov 15, 2021 at 07:19 AM, Mike Hanauer wrote:

Yet, displaying the newly uploaded photos takes noticeably longer - it loads top to bottom in sections and takes much longer to fully display.

We don't resize images on the fly. We resize them when we initially process the emails. So something in the new versions of the images is causing your computer to display them more slowly. I'm not a JPEG expert, so unfortunately I can't say what that might be.

Mark

Mike Hanauer

I'm looking at the photos via web, photos, using Chrome.

The ones that were there before I changed to:
Photos
Permissions
Members can view, moderators can upload
Who can view and upload to the group photos section.

Max Size In Photos Section
Resized to a max of 488x488
Automatically resize photos uploaded to the photos section that are larger than a specific size.

Are about 1 meg. the newer ones uploaded after the 488x488 change are about 150kB
Yet the older ones display much faster even though at least the file size is < 1/5 the size.

Love some insight here?  Thanks.

Consider Better, not Bigger. So many advantages. Just ask. USA adds a Chicago to our overpop each year.
"Still more population growth is not our way to a healthy community, a healthy planet, OR enjoyable cycling."

    ~Mike

On Monday, November 15, 2021, 11:57:10 AM EST, Andy <ai.egrps+io@...> wrote:

Are you downloading the photos, or displaying them in the webpage?  Groups.io might be taking longer to re-scale and image the file for you on the fly in your web browser.  It might be faster to just right-click Download and open it in your computer instead of the browser.

Bear in mind -- my use of "download" may not be the same as yours.  When I say "download" I mean transferring it as a file to my computer.  When I open or display an image in the web browser, that is not what I would call a "download".

Andy

Bruce Bowman

Mike -- Based on that setting, photos are downscaled for storage, but are upscaled for display. I was going to suggest that your browser may be taking some time in doing that, but if you're using Chrome (as I am), that seems unlikely.

In fact, I've tried my best to replicate your experience to no avail. It's for that reason that I failed to respond to your initial post in GMF. I suspect I am not alone in that.

I do hope you get this figured out.

Good luck,
Bruce

Mike Hanauer

Thank so much, Bruce.

At home, I am on DSL which for me is only 1Mb. That might sound awful, but email, web browsing and even TV streaming work fine. But the slower speed might amplify the problem - and indicate that there really is more data to be downloaded from the 150KB photos than the 1MB photos. Strange.

If I go somewhere with high bandwidth (15Mb+), the problem is less noticeable.

Anyway, thanks for any thoughts here. I do wonder if it has to do with the storage algorithm on groups.io for JPEGs.

AllTheBest.

    ~Mike

On Monday, November 15, 2021, 01:40:23 PM EST, Bruce Bowman <bruce.bowman@...> wrote:

Mike -- Based on that setting, photos are downscaled for storage, but are upscaled for display. I was going to suggest that your browser may be taking some time in doing that, but if you're using Chrome (as I am), that seems unlikely.

In fact, I've tried my best to replicate your experience to no avail. It's for that reason that I failed to respond to your initial post in GMF. I suspect I am not alone in that.

I do hope you get this figured out.

Good luck,
Bruce

Bob Bellizzi

Consider:
Uploading is file to memory to output
Downloading is file to memory to browser to display
Speed up and down may also be different at different times
Memory size, prpcessor speed, number of cores, etc all play into differences betrween upload and down/display

--

Bob Bellizzi
FuchsFriends@groups.io online  support  group for corneal dystrophy patients & caregivers

Any chance you have the larger photos cached, so your browser is loading those from the cache, but having to go to the network for the smaller ones? You can try a Control-Reload (or Control-F5) on both large and small versions to see if that's a possibility.

JohnF