moderated Strip winmail.dat file from incoming group messages #suggestion

Bruce Bowman

Outlook inserts a winmail.dat file in virtually every outgoing message. Only other Outlook clients do anything with it.

I suggest stripping these so they do not continue to proliferate as useless attachments.

Thanks for your consideration,
Bruce

Steve Hayes

On 8 Nov 2021 at 15:15, Bruce Bowman wrote:

Outlook inserts a winmail.dat file in virtually every outgoing message. Only
other Outlook clients do anything with it.

I suggest stripping these so they do not continue to proliferate as useless
attachments.
Yahoo mail sometimes also has incomprehensible attachments, though they don't
seem to be in a separate file.

--
Steve Hayes
E-mail: shayes@dunelm.org.uk

Dave Sergeant

They are I understand a result of misconfigured Outlook. But they are
INTENDED attachments and often the very reason why the post was made in
the first place. There are online tools to decode them and convert them
into normal files. The sender should be encouraged to change his
Outlook settings instead of just deleting things which he really does
want us to see.

Dave

On 8 Nov 2021 at 15:15, Bruce Bowman wrote:

Outlook inserts a winmail.dat file in virtually every outgoing message.
Only other Outlook clients do anything with it.

I suggest stripping these so they do not continue to proliferate as
useless attachments.

http://davesergeant.com

Andy Wedge

On Mon, Nov 8, 2021 at 11:34 PM, Bruce Bowman wrote:
Outlook inserts a winmail.dat file in virtually every outgoing message. Only other Outlook clients do anything with it.
I understand that these are generated when the Sender is using Rich Text Format and the answer would seem to be to switch to HTML or Plain Text.  https://gcits.com/knowledge-base/how-to-fix-the-winmail-dat-attachment-issue/

Regards
Andy

Bruce Bowman

Within a business environment where everyone else is using Outlook then these winmail.dat files can and do serve some purpose. In a mailing list where the client of the recipient is not standardized I still assert that they are superfluous and should be deleted.

If a sender "should" configure Outlook to keep it from sending them that's fine, but it's not part of my #suggestion.

If groups.io is capable of parsing this file and translating it all into html that's also fine, but it's not part of my #suggestion.

Regards,
Bruce

KWKloeber

>>> Only other Outlook clients do anything with it.<<< ***

Though annoying, the .dat file serves one useful purpose if one knows/understands what happened, and could then #suggest (ie, “extend an invitation”) to the emailer to post the file thru the web or another email client.

If it could be stripped then I #suggest a warning be added to notify that there “should have been” a real attachment with the message.

*** #aside: I’m not sure that’s accurate.  If the original email is “misconfigured” as an RTF, my Outlook client still receives a useless .dat file.  My recollection is that I would receive the intended file on my AOL app, but garbage thru my Outlook PC. As least that’s my recollection?
Oh the dreaded .dat file!!!!

Ken K

On Mon, Nov 8, 2021 at 3:34 PM Bruce Bowman <bruce.bowman@...> wrote:
Outlook inserts a winmail.dat file in virtually every outgoing message. Only other Outlook clients do anything with it.

I suggest stripping these so they do not continue to proliferate as useless attachments.

Do we know if any other email service (Gmail/Yahoo/etc) strips these attachments?

Bruce Bowman

On Tue, Nov 9, 2021 at 01:21 PM, Mark Fletcher wrote:
Do we know if any other email service (Gmail/Yahoo/etc) strips these attachments?
Mark -- My own provider...tds.net...does not strip it; it arrives in a separate MIME part just as groups.io sent it. I cannot speak to what other providers may do.

I'm not so concerned about what arrives in email as what builds up in the message archive. I see no reason to store it if the online message reader isn't going to render it.

Regards,
Bruce

On Tue, Nov 9, 2021 at 12:21 PM, Mark Fletcher wrote:
Do we know if any other email service (Gmail/Yahoo/etc) strips these attachments?

It's a MIME format message segment. I don't think anybody drops it. Outside of Microsoft, there's also not much support for it.

Here's some background info from Mozilla.
https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/what-winmaildat-attachment

I work on KDE's email software. There's a program that is supposed to handle these attachments, but I've never been able to make it work.
https://invent.kde.org/pim/ktnef

FWIW, my group generates 300 - 400 messages per month, and I moderate all attachments. I have never seen a winmail.dat atttachment in the moderation queue. I have seen a lot of attachments on messages composed by Mail for Windows 10, but those have all been small .png images (a dot, or a line). I tell my members when I see these, and most people have been able to correct the misconfiguration without a lot of help.
--
David Bryant
Canyon Lake, Texas

David M

Outlook inserts a winmail.dat file in virtually every outgoing message. Only other Outlook clients do anything with it.
Not true. Gmail can extract it. Recent versions of Thunderbird can extract it.

I suggest stripping these so they do not continue to proliferate as useless attachments.
They are not useless attachments. It turns out that when Outlook is set to RTF, *any* attachment is made into a winmail.dat. So if you delete them, then you are deleting valid attachments that are a part of the message.

Fixing it is tedious. This can be fixed for *new* recipients by setting Outlook to not use RTF. However, for any contact you have sent a message using RTF, it remembers and continues to send them as RTF with attachments as winmail.dat files. It is possible to edit the setting for each contact to stop it using RTF. Messages sent to those people no longer get the attachments inserted as normal attachments.

Deleting winmail.dat files is not the answer. Educate your users how to change the setting for the group e-mail address if you want to stop winmail.dats ending up in your group.

David

David M

On Mon, Nov 8, 2021 at 11:34 PM, Bruce Bowman wrote:

Outlook inserts a winmail.dat file in virtually every outgoing message. Only other Outlook clients do anything with it.

I understand that these are generated when the Sender is using Rich Text Format and the answer would seem to be to switch to HTML or Plain Text. <https://gcits.com/knowledge-base/how-to-fix-the-winmail-dat-attachment-issue/>https://gcits.com/knowledge-base/how-to-fix-the-winmail-dat-attachment-issue/
This is only a solution when the person's e-mail server is Exchange. For people using Outlook or POP or IMAP, the problem will remain.

David

David M

On Mon, Nov 8, 2021 at 3:34 PM Bruce Bowman <<mailto:bruce.bowman@tds.net>bruce.bowman@tds.net> wrote:

Outlook inserts a winmail.dat file in virtually every outgoing message. Only other Outlook clients do anything with it.

I suggest stripping these so they do not continue to proliferate as useless attachments.

Do we know if any other email service (Gmail/Yahoo/etc) strips these attachments?
Gmail converts them so no need to strip them.

Need to be aware that while they may be RTF versions of the text in a message, they can also be files added as attachments. Multiple files actually, since all attachments are bundled up into one winmail.dat file.

David