moderated #suggestion Subtopics as an available option for groups #suggestion

Andrea McGhee

I would like to see subtopics added to the groups.io options for listservs.

An example might as follows:
Creation of the world theories (main topic)
-Bible (subtopic)
-Big Bang (subtopic)
-Evolution (subtopic)
-Christianity (subtopic)
-Misc. (subtopic)

(Forgive the example...I didn't want to post something more specific from our group :-))

Subtopics would create ease in sorting posts
and make it easier for members to find relevant content.

Does this make sense?

--
-
Wam Regards,
Andi

On Wed, Nov 3, 2021 at 06:28 AM, Andrea McGhee wrote:
I have nothing specific against your proposal (although it seems complicated while simple in theory), but would just mention that you could use hashtags for those purposes.

--
J

Messages are the sole opinion of the author, especially the fishy ones.
My humanity is bound up in yours, for we can only be human together. - Desmond Tutu

Andy Wedge

On Wed, Nov 3, 2021 at 01:28 PM, Andrea McGhee wrote:

I would like to see subtopics added to the groups.io options for listservs.

If you want to categorise individual topics within a group then you could use hashtags so one topic may have hashtags such as #creationoftheworld and #bigbang, and another might have #creationoftheworld and #evolution.  Hashtags provide a quick and convenient way of searching for content.

If your group is for discussions on creation of the world theories then different subgroups can be used to cover each of those theories.

Regards
Andy

Andrea McGhee

Dear Andy and J Catlady,
I appreciate your responses and I have actually considered both of those options :-)

And perhaps it is a matter of training members :-)

Thank you for your time and suggestions.
--
-
Wam Regards,
Andi

Andi,

Thinking it about it further now, it seems to me that hashtags and subgroups would actually address your issues even better than subtopics, because they apply overall. If you could create subtopics, you'd have to do that locally, so to speak, with every topic that pertained to the subject matter. Wherreas hashtags and subgroups work globally.
--
J

Messages are the sole opinion of the author, especially the fishy ones.
My humanity is bound up in yours, for we can only be human together. - Desmond Tutu