moderated Pending message queue problems #bug

Hi Mark,

There's a couple of problems in the pending message queue process.

1. When editing a pending message and click on Save, the message is saved but then you are returned to the next message in the queue, not the one you were editing, resulting in having to go back in the pending message list view in order to approve the message you just edited.  If you edited and saved the last pending message on the list you're instead returned to the list.  It's almost like the Save and the Skip buttons are executed instead of just Save.

2. There is an inconsistency in the availability of the "Reject" button and NM/Non-Member pending messages.  In the pending list view, you can select that message and reject it.  But if you click on the same message and go into pending message view, the "Reject" button is not shown.

Cheers,
Christos

Bruce Bowman

Christos -- I've no strong opposition to your observations, but am not yet convinced these are bugs.

1. When editing a pending message and click on Save, the message is saved but then you are returned to the next message in the queue, not the one you were editing, resulting in having to go back in the pending message list view in order to approve the message you just edited.  If you edited and saved the last pending message on the list you're instead returned to the list.  It's almost like the Save and the Skip buttons are executed instead of just Save.
There is a "Save and Approve" button in the Edit message screen. Why not use that?

2. There is an inconsistency in the availability of the "Reject" button and NM/Non-Member pending messages.  In the pending list view, you can select that message and reject it.  But if you click on the same message and go into pending message view, the "Reject" button is not shown.
Should groups.io moderators be allowed to Reject (as opposed to Delete) a message from a non-member? Seems that most such messages would be spam, and rejecting it (which sends back a response to the sender) would just encourage more spam.

Having the same button appear in the pending list view makes sense because you might have other messages in that list that are from actual members.

I hope I'm making sense here!

Regards,
Bruce

Bruce,

>>> I've no strong opposition to your observations, but am not yet convinced these are bugs.

I must admit the particular scenario that caused it is on the not-often side, I got caught in the technicality of it I guess. :)

>>> Should groups.io moderators be allowed to Reject (as opposed to Delete) a message from a non-member? Seems that most such messages would be spam, and rejecting it (which sends back a response to the sender) would just encourage more spam.

I agree, from a non-member of course not.

>>> Having the same button appear in the pending list view makes sense because you might have other messages in that list that are from actual members.

Yes, I wasn't referring to removing the reject button in list view but just restricting it, because if you think about it, right now we are letting the mod do in pending list view what we're trying to prevent them from doing in pending message view.  Right now we don't allow the mod to reject any non-member message in message view, but we allow the mod to go back to the list view and check that same message and click on Reject and get to it that way.  Technically the list view's Reject option should also get disabled if any non-member messages are checked and only enable if none of the checked messages is a non-member message.

But on the practicality side, this wouldn't allow anymore the capability of mods (like in the causal GMF topic) to do what they normally do and contact the member (in that particular situation of having a member with a pending message leave the group before the message was worked-on. (or even in the future if that or any ex-member sends in a message).  So from that perspective then, we can let sleeping dogs lie and keep it as a mod convenience/workaround for contacting known ex-members.  (but can also be used to contact non-members if the mod knows the sender)

I guess either way can work, here's a possible tweak that works both ways.  Attached are the two screens, never- non-member and ex- non-member.  You can see they both hide the reject button in message view but have a visual difference, the NM badge.  In the NM side it's obvious why there's no reject button but on the ex-member side there's no indication whatsoever as to why reject is missing.  We don't have an "Ex/Past-Member" badge.  So maybe the reject display code in message view, instead of just checking if the person is a non-member, could also check if it's an ex-member and in that case show the reject button instead of hiding it since we know those ex-members are not spammers.  This way mods won't be able to reject non-member messages but will be able to reject past-member messages.

>>> There is a "Save and Approve" button in the Edit message screen. Why not use that?

You're correct, I didn't mean it overall pending functionality-wise, again strictly technical, and based on what "save" usually does.  "Save and Approve" saves, approves, and having no choice takes you to the next message in the list, or the list view itself if we were at the last message.  I thought plain "Save" (not "Save and Next") should take you back to the existing message you just saved. But I don't mind really, it just caught me by surprise.

Cheers,
Christos

Malcolm Austen

On Thu, 28 Oct 2021 18:18:56 +0100, Bruce Bowman <bruce.bowman@...> wrote:

Should groups.io moderators be allowed to Reject (as opposed to Delete) a message from a non-member? Seems that most such messages would be spam, and rejecting it (which sends back a response to the sender) would just encourage more spam.

Yes Bruce, if the message got through the initial GIO spam filters then the list owner/moderator should be allowed to decide which to press. The message might be from an alternative (but not aliased) address for a member in which case [reject] is an essential option.

Malcolm.

--
Malcolm Austen - email: malcolm.austen@...