moderated Site updates #changelog

Changes to the site this week:

September 24, 2021:

  • BUGFIX: Replies to moderated topics that start new topics were getting moderated by mistake. Discussion
  • DOCS: Updates from Nina.

September 23, 2021:

  • NEW: Added REFRESH-INTERVAL and X-PUBLISHED-TTL lines to calendar .ics files.
  • BUGFIX: For a first message in new topic moderated group, if a message comes in that is a reply to an existing topic but the subject has been changed, creating a new topic, we were not properly moderating the message. Dicussion
  • BUGFIX: If a moderator switches a member from HTML Digest delivery to another delivery format, a plain text digest was generated of any pending digest messages instead of an HTML digest.

September 22, 2021:

  • NEW: Added tooltips to the locked, moderated, sticky, and topic follower only icons in the archives. Discussion
  • NEW: Labeled filter buttons with the word Filter. Discussion
  • NEW: Added activity log entries for adding/removing banned domains. Discussion
  • NEW: Activity log entries for messages that are moderated because the member is set to NuM now say the user is new member moderated. Discussion

September 21, 2021:

  • NEW: In pending message moderator notification emails, now include the reason why the message is moderated.
  • BUGFIX: Refactor the smptd process and fix a bug where the wrong group name was included in an error message when a message was sent to multiple groups.
  • BUGFIX: Moderators with the Billing permission but not the Paid Subscriptions/Donations permission did not have the Billing tab in the sidebar.

September 20, 2021:

  • CHANGE: - Changed formatting of Help Center page to fix issues on mobile and with the app. Discussion
  • INTERNAL: - Cap the number of bounce records per person in the database to 20.

The next #changelog post will be on October 1st.

Take care everyone.

Mark

On Fri, Sep 24, 2021 at 08:10 PM, Mark Fletcher wrote:
For a first message in new topic moderated group, if a message comes in that is a reply to an existing topic but the subject has been changed, creating a new topic, we were not properly moderating the message.
Mark,

This is working now, but - this is most and just a matter of curiosity  - I am still utterly confused about what happened and what was changed!  The message with the changed title did (even before the bug fix, whatever it was) require approval. The weirdnesses were (a) the  log stated the message required approval because the topic was moderated, but (b) the new (changed-title) topic was *not* actually moderated (bore no moderation icon). Which is weirder yet, because Christos apparently reported a legitimate bug that changed-title topics from moderated topics were moderated when they should not have been (now fixed), but in my case, the changed-title topic was NOT actually moderated! Maybe this is just a very weird series of double-negatives, or bugs cancelling each other out, or something. It's all fine now but I am extremely curious what happened....

On Fri, Sep 24, 2021 at 09:05 PM, J_Catlady wrote:
this is most
should read "this is moot"

On Fri, Sep 24, 2021 at 9:05 PM J_Catlady <j.olivia.catlady@...> wrote:

This is working now, but - this is most and just a matter of curiosity  - I am still utterly confused about what happened and what was changed!

It was an internal flag that wasn't being reset properly during processing of the message when we detected the subject change, leading to the improper handling of the message.

Christos' bug was a completely separate bug.

Mark

On Sat, Sep 25, 2021 at 08:34 AM, Mark Fletcher wrote:
It was an internal flag that wasn't being reset properly during processing of the message when we detected the subject change, leading to the improper handling of the message.

Christos' bug was a completely separate bug.
Mark,

Thanks for indulging me in this by providing an explanation! I am still befuddled as to why, if you fixed Christos's bug after mine (which I think was the case), his bug - "changed-title moderated thread is moderated" -didn't apply to my situation. I did have a changed-title moderated thread, which was then logged as moderated (although it wasn't). Curioser and curioser. If you don't want to say any more about this, I completely understand! I've always been overly curious. Like the cat. ;)

J,

On Sat, Sep 25, 2021 at 8:48 AM J_Catlady <j.olivia.catlady@...> wrote:

Thanks for indulging me in this by providing an explanation! I am still befuddled as to why, if you fixed Christos's bug after mine (which I think was the case), his bug - "changed-title moderated thread is moderated" -didn't apply to my situation. I did have a changed-title moderated thread, which was then logged as moderated (although it wasn't). Curioser and curioser. If you don't want to say any more about this, I completely understand! I've always been overly curious. Like the cat. ;)

I think you're overthinking this. With your bug, a flag wasn't being properly reset, so some aspects of your message were treated like a new topic and some were treated like a reply to an existing topic. Christos' bug was that we were checking two different things in the wrong order.

Mark

Me, overthink? Lol!

Thanks, my inner cat is now satisfied! 😊

On Sep 25, 2021, at 8:53 AM, Mark Fletcher <markf@corp.groups.io> wrote:

[...]

One nice effect of this bug fix is the log now states the condition explicitly:

xyz sent message "NEW SUBJECT in reply message" requiring approval because the group is set to moderate the first message in a topic and this message is starting a new topic, via web.

>>> if you fixed Christos's bug after mine (which I think was the case)

He was taught good manners, (overthinking) Ladies first.

[no worries, I already know the way back to the cave]

On Sat, Sep 25, 2021 at 12:24 PM, Christos Psarras wrote:
One nice effect of this bug fix is the log now states the condition explicitly:

xyz sent message "NEW SUBJECT in reply message" requiring approval because the group is set to moderate the first message in a topic and this message is starting a new topic, via web.
It already did that prior to the fix.

On Sat, Sep 25, 2021 at 12:35 PM, J_Catlady wrote:
NEW SUBJECT in reply message
Oh, you mean it says "new subject" now? I don't know if that was happening before. The part about "set to moderate the first message in a topic and this message is starting a new topic" was already there. Which, I agree, is great. It's just missing "QED." ;)

>>>Oh, you mean it says "new subject" now?

Oh no, sorry about that, it's what I used in my testing for this issue for visual ID help when looking at the topics, I guess I could have edited it a bit before posting.

I also didn't realize the log entry was already there, I guess I missed it, the lighting in the cave is awful.

On Sat, Sep 25, 2021 at 01:21 PM, Christos Psarras wrote:
Oh, you mean it says "new subject" now?

Oh no, sorry about that, it's what I used in my testing
Well, that's a possibly useful addition to the log entry, namely, include the fact that it's a new topic by virtue of a change of subject via email. In my case, I couldn't understand at first why the message threaded in email to the group member's old topic, but didn't thread in the group. We explicitly try to get group members not to do this (it's in our guidelines, not that anyone reads them....)