moderated Count mod-edited approval as an approved message #suggestion

Andy

On Wed, Sep 22, 2021 at 02:12 PM, Mark Fletcher wrote:
Please send me off-list the email addresses of the members involved and the subjects of the emails, and I'll investigate.

Done.

Andy

Mark,

It also happened to one member of my group, but it's practically ancient history now and would be difficult to resurrect. Nevertheless, I went through the member's history just now to see if I could piece it together and send you her info as well. I couldn't, but that process led me to an independent suggestion, which I will post separately as a suggestion to avoid confusion: It seems that when NMM members' posts are approved, the log entry just says "because the user is moderated." It doesn't specify that the user is "new member moderated." I think it could be helpful, in future possible situations (including bug reports and resurrecting the history), to record that detail in the log.

Andy,

On Sat, Sep 18, 2021 at 9:31 PM Andy <AI.egrps+io@...> wrote:
Checking the Activity Log, ...

  • Yesterday, a co-mod approved a message "via email", and the log does not show that his posting status changed.  I had to change the posting status later (and approve two new messages sent by the same member).

  • 3 days ago, the same co-mod approved a message "via email", and the log shows two results, for both changing the posting status and approving the message.

Same moderator.  Same method of approval (via email).  Different days.  Groups.io handled them differently.

I think it's a random bug.

Please send me off-list the email addresses of the members involved and the subjects of the emails, and I'll investigate.

On Sat, Sep 18, 2021 at 09:31 PM, Andy wrote:
I think it's a random bug.
It's mysterious for sure. But something is going on!

Andy

Checking the Activity Log, ...

  • Yesterday, a co-mod approved a message "via email", and the log does not show that his posting status changed.  I had to change the posting status later (and approve two new messages sent by the same member).

  • 3 days ago, the same co-mod approved a message "via email", and the log shows two results, for both changing the posting status and approving the message.

Same moderator.  Same method of approval (via email).  Different days.  Groups.io handled them differently.

I think it's a random bug.

Since both were approved by email, there was no chance that the moderator clicked the wrong button.

Here are a few other differences (just in case it isn't random):  One sender's domain was gmail.com, other sender's domain was hotmail.it.  One message was a reply, other message started a new thread.  Should either of these matter?  Both messages needing approval had been posted via the web.

Andy

Andy

Maybe it is random -- sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.  Or there is yet another variable that we have not identified yet.

I didn't try a controlled experiment.  I just observe that approving some messages does not also unmoderate the member, and I have to go back and fix it later.  When I am the one approving the message, I do it from the web and I click the right button to both approve and unmoderate, and it works when I do that.  I'm not sure what my co-moderators do.  It shouldn't matter, should it?

Andy

On Sat, Sep 18, 2021 at 07:51 PM, J_Catlady wrote:
supposed to automatically unmoderate them.
I checked in my test group, and the NMM1 is working fine. It even works fine when the message is mod-edited. I can't reproduce the bug I reported, and I can't reproduce what Andy is experiencing.

On Sat, Sep 18, 2021 at 07:48 PM, Andy wrote:
Why does approving a new member's message (with "Unmoderate After 1 Approved Message") not also unmoderate them?
It is absolutely supposed to automatically unmoderate them. This sounds like part of the same bug. It's possible my assumption that the bug was limited to the case of mod-edited messages was erroneous, and that there's simply a bug in the counter for approved messages.

Andy

I apologize if this is something I should know and/or if it's documented.

Why does approving a new member's message (with "Unmoderate After 1 Approved Message") not also unmoderate them?  Why must Moderators also click the "Approve and Unmoderate" button, or go back to the member and disable their Override moderation setting?

I'm asking this as a reply here, because it might be related to the OP's question.  What is the deal (or what is the point) with the "Unmoderate After ..." setting?  From where I sit, it does not seem to do anything.  Why is that?

Andy

I have a new group member whose first message was approved, but only after some editing by me (in conjunction with offlist consultation with her, to improve clarity). We have NMM set to 3. I was about to unmoderate her this morning when I noticed that she still has her NMM requirement set to 3, as if she'd never had a message approved. Is that because her first message, although approved, was first edited by a moderator? Does mod-edited approval not count as approval? This feels slightly "off." I think approval should count as approval, no matter what. Could this be unintended and a bug?