moderated Duplicate log entries for approving pending messages #bug

On Tue, Sep 14, 2021 at 2:25 PM Duane <txpigeon@...> wrote:
On Tue, Sep 14, 2021 at 03:20 PM, Mark Fletcher wrote:
We no longer generate the `claim pending message` activity log
I'm not sure, but I think this has created another problem.  When reading a pending message, the Approve button doesn't work.  If I go back and select the check box for that message, I can Approve it.

Oops. Should be fixed now.

On Tue, Sep 14, 2021 at 03:20 PM, Mark Fletcher wrote:
We no longer generate the `claim pending message` activity log
I'm not sure, but I think this has created another problem.  When reading a pending message, the Approve button doesn't work.  If I go back and select the check box for that message, I can Approve it.

Hi All,

We no longer generate the `claim pending message` activity log entry except when editing a pending message or undoing an edit to a pending message.

That is true. I just checked it. It seemed to me before that it was being marked as "claimed" if I even just opened it.

But I still think that "claiming" a pending message should be an affirmative act, just as it is for "claiming" a pending member. Currently, if you check "edit," even if you make no changes, it is marked as claimed. Even if I click on "edit" and then decide to do nothing, it is currently still marked as claimed. That is a different policy from pending members.

Andy Wedge

On Sun, Sep 12, 2021 at 11:38 AM, J_Catlady wrote:
This problem is the reason I had to completely stop even looking at pending messages in the two groups in which I’m a sort of subsidiary mod.
If you just click on the message subject in the pending list, you can view the message without it being logged as claimed.

Andy

I agree. This problem is the reason I had to completely stop even looking at pending messages in the two groups in which I’m a sort of subsidiary mod. The minute I open a message, I’m logged as having claimed it, which is extremely misleading (I think the word “wrong” would not be hyperbolic).

I don’t think this is a problem with having two log entires. I think there should be separate log entries for (a) claiming a message and (b) acting on it. The problem is the overzealousness of (a).

On Sep 12, 2021, at 3:26 AM, Bruce Bowman <bruce.bowman@...> wrote:

On Sat, Sep 11, 2021 at 10:18 PM, J_Catlady wrote:
I do take slight issue, though, with simply opening a pending message causing it to be "claimed." That's not what happens when you look at a pending member, where you have to explicitly claim it.
Therein lies the problem. Obviously, I cannot moderate a message without reading it. If I open the message to read it and simply close it, the message is not claimed.

I always thought I had to open a message in the editor to claim it. Even the docs say that.

I don't think it's appropriate for the log to say I did something that I didn't do.

Thanks,
Bruce

Bruce Bowman

On Sat, Sep 11, 2021 at 10:18 PM, J_Catlady wrote:
I do take slight issue, though, with simply opening a pending message causing it to be "claimed." That's not what happens when you look at a pending member, where you have to explicitly claim it.
Therein lies the problem. Obviously, I cannot moderate a message without reading it. If I open the message to read it and simply close it, the message is not claimed.

I always thought I had to open a message in the editor to claim it. Even the docs say that.

I don't think it's appropriate for the log to say I did something that I didn't do.

Thanks,
Bruce

Andy Wedge

On Sun, Sep 12, 2021 at 12:30 AM, Bruce Bowman wrote:
Mark -- Recently, when I approve a message, it's creating duplicate log entries:  One about me claiming the message and another about approving it.
I raised this issue back in May this year.  I still think it's unnecessary to have two entries when a message is just approved. A point I tried to make in #29585.

Regards
Andy

On Sat, Sep 11, 2021 at 04:30 PM, Bruce Bowman wrote:
It is intentional?
Yes because you might claim it and reject it. Or do something else with it. Or nothing at all. Why should they not be separate log entries?

I do take slight issue, though, with simply opening a pending message causing it to be "claimed." That's not what happens when you look at a pending member, where you have to explicitly claim it. Mods can look at pending members without being logged as having claimed them. This policy for logging mods as having claimed a message when they actually have just opened it is relatively new, and seems wrong.

Andy

Not a bug.  It is intentional.

Bruce Bowman

Mark -- Recently, when I approve a message, it's creating duplicate log entries:  One about me claiming the message and another about approving it.

I've never noticed this before. It is intentional?

Regards,
Bruce