Duplicate log entries for approving pending messages #bug

Bruce Bowman

Mark -- Recently, when I approve a message, it's creating duplicate log entries:  One about me claiming the message and another about approving it.

I've never noticed this before. It is intentional?

Regards,
Bruce

Andy

Not a bug.  It is intentional.

On Sat, Sep 11, 2021 at 04:30 PM, Bruce Bowman wrote:
It is intentional?
Yes because you might claim it and reject it. Or do something else with it. Or nothing at all. Why should they not be separate log entries?

I do take slight issue, though, with simply opening a pending message causing it to be "claimed." That's not what happens when you look at a pending member, where you have to explicitly claim it. Mods can look at pending members without being logged as having claimed them. This policy for logging mods as having claimed a message when they actually have just opened it is relatively new, and seems wrong.

Andy Wedge

On Sun, Sep 12, 2021 at 12:30 AM, Bruce Bowman wrote:
Mark -- Recently, when I approve a message, it's creating duplicate log entries:  One about me claiming the message and another about approving it.
I raised this issue back in May this year.  I still think it's unnecessary to have two entries when a message is just approved. A point I tried to make in #29585.

Regards
Andy

Bruce Bowman

On Sat, Sep 11, 2021 at 10:18 PM, J_Catlady wrote:
I do take slight issue, though, with simply opening a pending message causing it to be "claimed." That's not what happens when you look at a pending member, where you have to explicitly claim it.
Therein lies the problem. Obviously, I cannot moderate a message without reading it. If I open the message to read it and simply close it, the message is not claimed.

I always thought I had to open a message in the editor to claim it. Even the docs say that.

I don't think it's appropriate for the log to say I did something that I didn't do.

Thanks,
Bruce

I agree. This problem is the reason I had to completely stop even looking at pending messages in the two groups in which I’m a sort of subsidiary mod. The minute I open a message, I’m logged as having claimed it, which is extremely misleading (I think the word “wrong” would not be hyperbolic).

I don’t think this is a problem with having two log entires. I think there should be separate log entries for (a) claiming a message and (b) acting on it. The problem is the overzealousness of (a).

On Sun, Sep 12, 2021 at 11:38 AM, J_Catlady wrote:
This problem is the reason I had to completely stop even looking at pending messages in the two groups in which I’m a sort of subsidiary mod.
If you just click on the message subject in the pending list, you can view the message without it being logged as claimed.

Andy

That is true. I just checked it. It seemed to me before that it was being marked as "claimed" if I even just opened it.

But I still think that "claiming" a pending message should be an affirmative act, just as it is for "claiming" a pending member. Currently, if you check "edit," even if you make no changes, it is marked as claimed. Even if I click on "edit" and then decide to do nothing, it is currently still marked as claimed. That is a different policy from pending members.

Hi All,

We no longer generate the `claim pending message` activity log entry except when editing a pending message or undoing an edit to a pending message.

On Tue, Sep 14, 2021 at 03:20 PM, Mark Fletcher wrote:
We no longer generate the `claim pending message` activity log
I'm not sure, but I think this has created another problem.  When reading a pending message, the Approve button doesn't work.  If I go back and select the check box for that message, I can Approve it.

On Tue, Sep 14, 2021 at 2:25 PM Duane <txpigeon@...> wrote:
On Tue, Sep 14, 2021 at 03:20 PM, Mark Fletcher wrote:
We no longer generate the `claim pending message` activity log
I'm not sure, but I think this has created another problem.  When reading a pending message, the Approve button doesn't work.  If I go back and select the check box for that message, I can Approve it.

Oops. Should be fixed now.