moderated What does "Banned Domains" actually mean or do? #misc

Andy

As the subject line says -- what does "Banned Domains" mean?  What happens (if anything) after a domain is banned?

What is the order by which messages are checked, to see if they are OK?

What kind of bounce messages, if any, do senders receive when (a) their address is banned, (b) their domain is banned, (c) they aren't a group member, or (d) anything else?

Andy

1. Trying to join a group from a banned domain: If a domain is banned, then if someone with that domain tries to join the group, they get a message to the effect that people with that domain can't join the group. (Note that this is different from an individual email address being banned. In that case, the person, if logged in, cannot even see the group's home page - if they try to visit the page, they are confronted with their list of groups and a banner saying "you are not in this group." They can't join via email either, but I'm not sure of the exact message they receive in that case.)

2. Sending messages from a banned domain: If someone can't join a group because their domain is banned, they're not in the group, so messages from them to the group bounce just like messages from any other non-member.

I can't answer the rest.

Andy

On Thu, Sep 2, 2021 at 10:28 AM, J_Catlady wrote:
2. Sending messages from a banned domain: If someone can't join a group because their domain is banned, they're not in the group, so messages from them to the group bounce just like messages from any other non-member.

Hmm.  I was hoping that messages sent from a banned domain would be rejected because they came from a banned domain.  (Never mind the fact that they also are not a member.)

There seems to be some difference between banning a domain, and banning a specific address in that domain.  If I ban a domain, they just keep sending spam as if nothing happened.  If I ban an address, they seem to notice that their messages bounce because that address was banned, and change to a new address in the same domain.

Andy

That all is beyond my wheelhouse. But interesting.

On Sep 2, 2021, at 8:20 AM, Andy <AI.egrps+io@...> wrote:

On Thu, Sep 2, 2021 at 10:28 AM, J_Catlady wrote:
2. Sending messages from a banned domain: If someone can't join a group because their domain is banned, they're not in the group, so messages from them to the group bounce just like messages from any other non-member.

Hmm.  I was hoping that messages sent from a banned domain would be rejected because they came from a banned domain.  (Never mind the fact that they also are not a member.)

There seems to be some difference between banning a domain, and banning a specific address in that domain.  If I ban a domain, they just keep sending spam as if nothing happened.  If I ban an address, they seem to notice that their messages bounce because that address was banned, and change to a new address in the same domain.

Andy

Andy

I think I have convinced myself that "Banned Domains" does nothing.

I have banned a few domains that send only spam.  When I check the Activity Log for "Message rejected from banned domain", there is nothing in the log.  And we continue to see messages sent to the group from those domains.

Hence, my conclusion.

I guess you should remove the non-working "Banned Domains" feature from Groups.io.  Either that, or make it do something.

(I should say that these spam messages themselves don't really concern me.  They are not group members so the messages don't reach us.  They just clutter up our Activity Log.  Given the fact that we can ban a domain, I'd like to think that the feature actually does something.  We can ban individual email addresses too, and I know that works because we can see its effect in the log; but not with domains.)

Andy

On Wed, Sep 22, 2021 at 07:58 AM, Andy wrote:
I think I have convinced myself that "Banned Domains" does nothing.
It definitely does *something*. Whether all of what it does is perfect I have no idea. I do know that I banned the domain of a user I never wanted to see again in my group. and when he tried to join my group, he received a message "You can't join this group from that domain" (not exact words, I don't remember exactly). I know because he contacted me after that to complain, saying he wanted to join the group. (Long story, he's now back in and a newly valued member, has cleaned up his act etc.) Anyway, I remember being upset by the fact that he found out he was banned, because I had banned his domain. When you just ban an individual email address, they're not explicitly informed of the banning (unless your group has an active "banned" message, which mine doesn't). The fact that they're not informed has allowed me to test all kinds of technical scenarios by temporarily banning members (and then unbanning them). Banning a domain acts totally differently. It definitely does something.

Andy

On Wed, Sep 22, 2021 at 11:10 AM, J_Catlady wrote:
 It definitely does something.

Interesting.

But obviously not what I thought it would do.

Andy

On Wed, Sep 22, 2021 at 7:58 AM Andy <AI.egrps+io@...> wrote:
I think I have convinced myself that "Banned Domains" does nothing.

I have banned a few domains that send only spam.  When I check the Activity Log for "Message rejected from banned domain", there is nothing in the log.  And we continue to see messages sent to the group from those domains.

We reject messages from non-subscribers to groups that allow posts from non-subscribers that come from banned domains.

I think your group is not configured to allow posts from non-subscribers?

Bruce Bowman

Mark -- Two more questions have recently come up with respect to banning domains:

1. Will banning a domain also head off any such messages that are sent to the group's +owner address?
2. Is it possible to ban a top-level domain? For example, I was able to add *.ru to my list of banned domains, but am unable to verify that it actually works as expected.*

Thanks for any clarity you can provide.

Regards,
Bruce

*Ironically, it also allowed me to ban both *.io and groups.io!

On Thu, Apr 21, 2022 at 10:04 AM Bruce Bowman <bruce.bowman@...> wrote:
Mark -- Two more questions have recently come up with respect to banning domains:

1. Will banning a domain also head off any such messages that are sent to the group's +owner address?

The list was previously not consulted, but I just added it. So now +owner messages from banned domains will be dropped, and a new activity log message will be logged.

2. Is it possible to ban a top-level domain? For example, I was able to add *.ru to my list of banned domains, but am unable to verify that it actually works as expected.*

It currently is not possible to ban a TLD. I did just improve the domain name validity checker, so that *.ru will no longer be allowed, and we also no longer allow any *.groups.io domains. Your existing '*.ru' banned domain will not match anything.

Dan Barnette

Does the domain name validity checker validate the domains for top level domains?
For examples, one of the domains I tried to block was "ramgonjbazar.com.bd" which I presume is an invalid domain (but maybe I'm wrong in that?)
If so, that helps my Banned Domains issue (in that, if the +Owners emails are dropped when (what I assume is) a faked email address is used--then I don't have to ban it.

My apologies if this should have been a different topic because DN validity checker is a different function, but this is what I was trying to accomplish by banning a TLD.

Thank you,