moderated Banned from groups.io? #misc

On Thu, Aug 19, 2021 at 10:04 AM, Mark Fletcher wrote:
If Member B updates his SpamCop settings so that they don't automatically report group messages to Linode, I will re-enable their account as well.

I have discussed this with Member B. Here's what he told me.

Thanks for your reply.  I don't have any kind of automated process that
reports anything to Spamcop.  I have to log into Spamcop, open the suspect
email, do a "show original", then copy and paste it and select "report".
It's sort of a pain but I get very little spam.

I would prefer to be reinstated as gstatong@... since I check that
email daily..  And now that I know any suspected spam should be reported to
you, that's what I'll do. As far as I know, this is the only "groups.io"
service I subscribe to, so this shouldn't happen again.

Please reinstate member B. He has learned his lesson. Thanks, Mark.
--
David Bryant
Canyon Lake, Texas

On Thu, Aug 19, 2021 at 10:04 AM, Mark Fletcher wrote:

Thank you. I will let my group know that they may be kicked out if they run SpamCop. I'll need to follow up with member b ... will let you know what I learn.

--
David Bryant
Canyon Lake, Texas
https://t-vog.groups.io/g/main    https://davidcbryant.net

Hello,

On Thu, Aug 19, 2021 at 7:44 AM David Bryant <david@...> wrote:
Today when I checked on activity in my group I saw a new message. Two of them, actually.

xxx@yyy was banned from Groups.io

Two of my members have been rather unceremoniously removed from my group. This has never happened before. They don't even show up on the list of past members (I pay $20 a month for premium features).

Here's what happened. Member A, as you mentioned, sent a spam message yesterday to the group. Member B reported that message to Linode, our hosting service. As a matter of course, we are required to act upon these complaints or Linode turns off access to our site.

I investigated and disabled both accounts. I disabled Member A's account, because they sent the spam. I disabled Member B's account, because they reported the message to Linode, and not to you, the group owner.

I have re-enabled Member A's account and resubscribed them to your group (along with the Override: Moderated setting). If Member B updates his SpamCop settings so that they don't automatically report group messages to Linode, I will re-enable their account as well.

Today when I checked on activity in my group I saw a new message. Two of them, actually.

xxx@yyy was banned from Groups.io

Two of my members have been rather unceremoniously removed from my group. This has never happened before. They don't even show up on the list of past members (I pay $20 a month for premium features).

Does anyone know anything about this? I understand you can do anything you want to with the web site, Mark. But frankly, I'm annoyed. It seems to me that if these people have done something wrong I should have been involved in any decision to kick them out of my group. I'm pretty sure one of these people caught a computer virus yesterday, or maybe the day before. I had to deal with some spam she sent (inadvertently) just yesterday. The other person who was kicked out hasn't posted anything since December, 2020. Why would an inactive member get kicked out? I suppose that maybe he had joined more than one groups.io group, and did a no-no somewhere else on groups.io..

Why did this happen?  What can I do about it? Can I get some sort of explanation about why these people were banned from groups.io? I vet the members of my rgroup pretty carefully. All of them are, or once were,  unpaid volunteers in the TaxAide program run by the AARP Foundation. In other words, they're solid and sensible senior citizens. I can't imagine why groups.io wants to ban them.