locked Draft not saved or updated while being edited for a long time #bug

Topic has run its course. Locked.

Mark

Yes, it's the job of the user. But it's not the job of most groups.io members trying to post a message. And (in my opinion) it's not the job of group owners to educate their members in all of this. Members could care less, assuming they could even understand it.

It's not a bug. It's not a feature. It's just the way it is. Which is why I tell my group members to avoid copy/pasting.

On Thu, Aug 5, 2021 at 9:15 AM Glenn Glazer <glenn.glazer@...> wrote:
Clearly, everyone should use vi. <sigh>

It's not the job of a web input form to accept every proprietary format out there. It's the job of the user to put it in plain text first and there are a thousand ways to do that up to and including using Word itself to save the file as txt file first.

Best,

Glenn

--
#calcare
PG&E Delenda Est

Glenn Glazer

Clearly, everyone should use vi. <sigh>

It's not the job of a web input form to accept every proprietary format out there. It's the job of the user to put it in plain text first and there are a thousand ways to do that up to and including using Word itself to save the file as txt file first.

Best,

Glenn

--
#calcare
PG&E Delenda Est

Sure, a one-liner works fine. The problem is with line and paragraph breaks. Try a document with several paragraphs.

On Thu, Aug 5, 2021 at 8:53 AM Marv Waschke <marvwaschke@...> wrote:

Our experience differs. This is a paste from Word. I do it all the time and it works well enough for me.

Marv Waschke

Our experience differs. This is a paste from Word. I do it all the time and it works well enough for me.

On Wed, Aug 4, 2021 at 05:17 PM, Donald Hellen wrote:
if it's convenient, you can use Windows Notepad, or
Notepad++
We're talking (or at least I'm talking) about group members who just want to post their messages. I'm not gonna get my group members to do any of that. I just tell them don't copy/paste from Word.

Donald Hellen

Rubens . . .

On Wed, 4 Aug 2021 18:58:46 -0300, "Rubens" <rubens.alves@outlook.com>
wrote:

JC| Unfortunately Word does not play
| nice with the editor in groups.io
| abd I discourage members from
| doing that.
I believe when you go to past text from another program, you have
multiple choices of HOW to past that text if you use the right click
menu instead of CTRL-V. At work, there are times when I don't want to
past text into another program that's formatted in that program. I
choose the past option on the right of the right click menu when I
want to do that.

Of course, if it's convenient, you can use Windows Notepad, or
Notepad++ (a 3rd party notepad-like program with additional features
over notepad.

Donald

As I said: I tell my group members not to use Word. And people are not generally going to use plain text. So, yeah.

On Aug 4, 2021, at 2:58 PM, Rubens <rubens.alves@outlook.com> wrote:

MW> That's why I always compose
long emails in a word processor
JC| Unfortunately Word does not play
| nice with the editor in groups.io
| abd I discourage members from
| doing that.

This is because you have to use
a "pure TEXT" editor, like TextPAD
or the Windows NotePAD for tasks
like that (p.e. compose a email).
Not a word processor like MS Word.

[ ] Rubens

.

Peter Cook

When I'm composing a draft, before I leave the composition page I select all and copy. Then I make sure after leaving that the draft has been saved. If it hasn't (which has only happened a couple of times), I simply paste the contents of the clipboard.

Rubens

MW> That's why I always compose
> long emails in a word processor

JC| Unfortunately Word does not play
| nice with the editor in groups.io
| abd I discourage members from
| doing that.

This is because you have to use
a "pure TEXT" editor, like TextPAD
or the Windows NotePAD for tasks
like that (p.e. compose a email).
Not a word processor like MS Word.

[ ] Rubens

.

Hi All,

Looking through the logs, it appears that at some point when Andy was editing his reply, his browser stopped sending updates to the groups.io servers. What I am working on now is code to handle errors in this case and to retry, in a way similar to how Gmail works. Hope to have it working tomorrow.

Unfortunately Word does not play nice with the editor in groups.io abd I discourage members from doing that.

On Aug 4, 2021, at 11:37 AM, Marv Waschke <marvwaschke@...> wrote:

Similar things have happened to me, not necessarily with groups.io. That's why I always compose long emails in a word processor rather than in an email client or web browser, but one fat fingering that I am capable of is inadvertently selecting a large block of text and replacing it with a blank. With just the right combination of clumsiness and inattention, I can to this so fast I don't realize what I've done. A ctrl-z (undo) will restore block if it is still is in the command stack.

I'm not saying this is what happened to Andy, just pointing out a scenario that would look like this one.
Marv

Marv Waschke

Similar things have happened to me, not necessarily with groups.io. That's why I always compose long emails in a word processor rather than in an email client or web browser, but one fat fingering that I am capable of is inadvertently selecting a large block of text and replacing it with a blank. With just the right combination of clumsiness and inattention, I can to this so fast I don't realize what I've done. A ctrl-z (undo) will restore block if it is still is in the command stack.

I'm not saying this is what happened to Andy, just pointing out a scenario that would look like this one.
Marv

Peter Cook

I'm pretty sure she means that the older draft would be updated to the newer one.

Andy

So you would have two different copies of the same draft?  That's disturbing.

Andy

Sorry, I didn’t see than answer. That’s exactly what used to happen to me, though. I’d find an old, partial version of the draft. But often, after I refreshed the group page, it would give me the more recent one.

On Aug 3, 2021, at 1:26 PM, Andy <AI.egrps+io@...> wrote:

re: "Did you try clicking on "Home" and seeing if it reappeared?"

I thought I answered that already.  Clicking on Home (after the Draft became truncated) did not give me the entire message again.  It gave me only the truncated version.  The same thing happened if I logged out and back in.

In case you misunderstood, the Draft was always there and I could always open it.  It just opened with most of the contents missing.  It appeared to be a very early draft of the message, as if Groups.io saved it only once, very early in my editing session.

Andy

Andy

re: "Did you try clicking on "Home" and seeing if it reappeared?"

I thought I answered that already.  Clicking on Home (after the Draft became truncated) did not give me the entire message again.  It gave me only the truncated version.  The same thing happened if I logged out and back in.

In case you misunderstood, the Draft was always there and I could always open it.  It just opened with most of the contents missing.  It appeared to be a very early draft of the message, as if Groups.io saved it only once, very early in my editing session.

Andy

Did you try clicking on "Home" and seeing if it reappeared? That always works for me.

Andy

I always watch out for that.  No, I had only 1 window open.  It was full of lots of text when I closed it, and most of it was gone when I re-opened the Draft.

Andy

KWKloeber

Andy is possible that you had the draft open in two different windows or tabs?
I have found (via some testing) that the most-recently closed window is what is saved.  I've never lost a draft but have screwed up and had one open in different windows and exited my older version last (so it replaced my just--minutes-earlier-edited/completed version.)  For it to save that way IT APPEARS that the second window actually needs to be edited.

So, open a draft in window A (draft A)
Open the same draft in window B (draft B)
Edit draft A and close window A = draft A is saved.
Then exit window B = draft A remains (draft B is not saved)
BUT make ANY edit to draft B before closing window B = draft B replaces draft A  (A bummer if that happens by accident)