moderated Member Notice creation #suggestion

Bruce Bowman

On Thu, Jul 22, 2021 at 01:01 PM, Mark Fletcher wrote:
I've fixed it so that this can't happen again, and I've deleted the two member notices in your group with blank names.
Thanks again!

Bruce

“A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.” -- Douglas Adams

On Thu, Jul 22, 2021 at 4:43 AM Bruce Bowman <bruce.bowman@...> wrote:

Mark -- Surprised to find that the Name field still accepts whitespace.

In my group IAS-INDY, I created a Welcome notice with a Name of "  ". Having done so, I cannot open it to edit or delete.

I've fixed it so that this can't happen again, and I've deleted the two member notices in your group with blank names.

Bruce Bowman

On Wed, Jul 21, 2021 at 06:06 PM, Mark Fletcher wrote:
Now, when you attempt to add or update a member notice, you'll get an error message if either the Name or the Message are blank.
Mark -- Surprised to find that the Name field still accepts whitespace.

In my group IAS-INDY, I created a Welcome notice with a Name of "  ". Having done so, I cannot open it to edit or delete.

FYI,
Bruce

Regarding non unique notice+group combos, what about enhancing the notice list display, by renaming the Date caption to Date Last Edited and adding another column with the Date Created value. (assuming of course that field exists in the db and gets populated)  It doesn't really resolve the dupe nuisance, but it does make it a bit clearer/helpful to the admin which may be the "good" notice and should prompt them to do house-cleaning.

Another possibility is to check the name+group pair after being populated and lose focus and just add a colored FYI info text blurb under the Name box or thereabouts, similar to what happens now (on premium groups) if an admin attempts to change a member's email address to an existing one.  Or alternatively, depending on which is easier/faster to implement, put up an FYI info balloon at the top of the screen after saving the notice, alerting the admin there is another notice existing with the same name+group combo.  Either should be enough for the admin to realize their oops as I don't personally see why one would create a dupe name+group notice on purpose.

A similar FYI balloon could also be displayed when the admin goes into the notices screen to alert them about the existence of dupes; again that may prompt them to clean things up and maybe the dupes will be weeded-out eventually, to where an actual requirement rule could then be introduced and enforced during notice creation/editing.

Cheers,
Christos

Bruce Bowman

On Wed, Jul 21, 2021 at 06:06 PM, Mark Fletcher wrote:
I did not make it a requirement that the name be unique because there are already several existing member notices in the system that have the same name/group pair, and it's not clear to me what the best way to address that would be.
Me neither...that problem also occurred to me after I posted the suggestion yesterday.

Thanks!
Bruce

On Wed, Jul 21, 2021 at 6:53 AM Bruce Bowman <bruce.bowman@...> wrote:
Mark -- We had a user in GMF get confused when he repeatedly attempted to save a member notice of type Direct Add but it never appeared in the list of notices. As it turned out, he had failed to type anything into the editor, and that's why the notice was discarded. Although I like this behavior, it is [apparently] less than intuitive.

While investigating this, I was surprised to also discover that I can create a Member Notice with the same Name and Type as an existing one, or with no name at all. This is disconcerting when you subsequently attempt to select one to send.

[...]

My suggestion is twofold:
  • Require the Name field to be both populated and unique, and
  • (More importantly) keep the "Add Notice" button at the bottom greyed out and inactive until all required fields are populated.
Thanks for your consideration,
Bruce