moderated Searches of Members limited to 10000 #bug

Andy

If I go to Admin > Members and do a Search using the Search box in the upper right, the result is always limited to 10000 members.  Apparently that's as many as Groups.io's search function is capable of handling.

(Clearly not a problem for most groups -- yet.)

The 10000 member limit doesn't happen when using the Filter drop-down menu.  It's only when searching based on some text in the Search box.

Andy

Duane

On Tue, Jul 20, 2021 at 12:51 PM, Andy wrote:
the result is always limited to 10000 members
I believe this is a limitation of the text search program being used, as revealed in https://beta.groups.io/g/main/topic/78076561

Duane

Andy

Yes, that 10000 limit seems to exist all over Groups.io.  I should have mentioned it in my post.  Even so, it is not handled the same everywhere.

When searching for groups, it says there are 35779 groups, but refuses to go past the 10000th group.  If searching for a subset of groups, it tells you the right number even when it is >10000.

But when searching for members, it reports that there are 10000 members in the search but that is the wrong answer.  So it is different.

Maybe it would help - marginally - if Mark had it display ">10000".

I am surprised that any tool still has hard limits like this.  It feels like Y2K.  Didn't we learn that lesson already?  Of course there must be a limit; but choosing a search tool that is limited to 10000 doesn't make sense today.  We know there can be more than 10000 groups, members, messages, or files -- because we already exceed it.

Andy