moderated sluggish groups.io processes, especially editing pending message #misc

If you can try the computer version of Firefox, hit F12 to bring up the developer tools (there are other ways to do it if F12 is a problem), click on Network, and then perform the Groups.io action where the network lag starts. Firefox is good at showing all the network connections that happen after that, and how long each one takes. If one seems like it's taking much longer than the others, that could be the culprit.

JohnF

Mark,

I’m now seeing it on a constant basis and will send you details the next time. I’ve even started to swear at it! :-(

Maybe it’s not groups.io if I’m the only one, but even in that case I could use some smart help on what else it might be.

Thanks!

On Jul 12, 2021, at 1:54 PM, Mark Fletcher <markf@corp.groups.io> wrote:

On Mon, Jul 5, 2021 at 9:08 PM J_Catlady <j.olivia.catlady@...> wrote:
I've noticed recently that some groups.io processes are sluggish. It's not my computer (new computer is lightening fast) or my connection (all other sites load without delay). Things seem slightly sluggish here in general lately, but one process that stands out in particular, and is fairly (or completely) consistent, is editing a pending message. I'm often sitting there drumming on the table while the little wheel spins and spins until the edit screen finally comes up. I think this has been happening for about the past month. Other processes sometimes seem delayed as well, but I can't point to a pattern except for that one.

This is strange. I monitor how long it takes to generate web pages, and I'm not seeing any issues with the pending message edit screen. Please let me know off-list the next time  you see this and I'll pull up the exact log files and see if I can see anything.

[...]

Sorry for typos … promise to proof better next time, per guidelines. Or never post from my (damn) phone.:-(

On Jul 6, 2021, at 7:50 AM, J_Catlady via groups.io <j.olivia.catlady@...> wrote:

BTW, it’s nothing the dreaded spinning beach ball. Nothing at all like that. Just the little circular (uncoolored) thing indicating that it’s still processing.

One other fairly consistent place I notice it is in clicking on one of my groups from my overall groups.io page. I’m often editing a significant amount of time for the group to load.

On Jul 6, 2021, at 7:36 AM, Andy <AI.egrps+io@...> wrote:

Forgot to mention - I can't comment on Sophos because not using it here.

Andy

BTW, it’s nothing the dreaded spinning beach ball. Nothing at all like that. Just the little circular (uncoolored) thing indicating that it’s still processing.

One other fairly consistent place I notice it is in clicking on one of my groups from my overall groups.io page. I’m often editing a significant amount of time for the group to load.

On Jul 6, 2021, at 7:36 AM, Andy <AI.egrps+io@...> wrote:

Forgot to mention - I can't comment on Sophos because not using it here.

Andy

Andy

Forgot to mention - I can't comment on Sophos because not using it here.

Andy

Andy

I wonder if something else is doing this, not groups.io.  I say that because I have never seen a delay when editing an existing message (but I have only rarely edited pending messages to maybe it's unique to just that).

One place where I do see an annoying delay, is when Replying to a message, from the web.  75% of the time, the edit window comes right up; but for the other 25%, I see the Subject line and Format line and the Reply and Discard buttons, but no box below the Format line.  And I wait and wait for it to appear -- which it usually does, if I wait long enough.  IIRC, there is no spinning wheel when this happens.  But this is not consistent either, so maybe it's unrelated to what you're seeing.

Andy

p.s. In case nobody else has noticed this, I wanted to mention that I have Sophos running. After sending the above message, I went into the Sophos control panel and explicitly white-listed groups.io as a website, but that didn't make any difference. It's possible there's something else I need to do in there. If nobody else here notices the sluggishness, I can contact Sophos tech support and ask about this. But I don't notice it with any other sites, including ones that I "do" things on  (like craigslist, for example). Maybe somebody here has some insights, especially vis-a-vis the possibility of Sophos slowing things down, in case it's not happening to anybody else.