moderated Subject tags in non-group posts #bug

Mark commonly makes up for a multitude of others' sins. :-)

Ah, Mark, you are so conscientious! But don't worry, the sluggishness is not groups.io's fault, it's my laptop. But thanks for your concern.

Helen

On Wed, Jun 16, 2021 at 7:42 AM Tanya's Feline CKD Website <helen@...> wrote:

And yes, I know I could look on groups.io but groups.io can be really sluggish for me so I like to do the vast majority of my work in my e-mail program, which worked just fine for more than five years and now it's c**p. This pisses me off so much I actually would leave groups.io if there were a vaguely decent alternative. Fortunately for Mark, there isn't.

Can you tell me which pages/operations are sluggish for you?

Thank you, Mark. We mods had given up writing to each other via the mods address because of this, so I haven't been able to check your changes yet. Fingers crossed the repetition is resolved.

Helen

Andy Wedge

On Tue, Jun 15, 2021 at 03:42 PM, Tanya's Feline CKD Website wrote:
I hate having subject tags on posts that are not sent directly to the group itself. This is a recentissh change that has made it a lot harder to filter messages where they need to go in my e-mail program (e.g. just found a few subscription approval requests in the folder for that group's messages).
Hi Helen,

messages about subscription requests, message approval notifications and database updates etc. are flagged as notifications so my Outlook rule to trap these is:

Perhaps you can do something similar in your own email client?

Andy

Donald Hellen

Tanya . . .

On Tue, 15 Jun 2021 07:08:47 -0700, "Tanya's Feline CKD Website"
<helen@felineckd.com> wrote:

Could it please just entirely disappear (my preference) or just remain at one subject tag at most.
If you're the group owner you can disable hashtags. We had some
complaints about them in one group I started so I disabled them and
made an announcement about it. Only a few subject threads had them
anyway, so it was not something most members even used.

You may be referring to something else, and if that's the case, please
disregard this.

Donald

This message transmitted on 100% recycled electrons.

Hello,

I've made the code that processes subject lines of messages sent to the +owner address smarter, and you should no longer suffer from Group Subject Tag Build Up.

Bruce Bowman

On Tue, Jun 15, 2021 at 03:41 PM, Mark Fletcher wrote:
Definitely sounds like a bug.
If it's what I think it is, I wouldn't call it a bug...just a missing feature.

How are these messages being sent? Are you just sending messages to +owner?
Subject Tags accumulate when folks repeatedly forward (or CC) sequential messages to the +owner address. Keeping the Subject Tag short makes this less objectionable. I would not want to eliminate the Subject Tag altogether, as that's a step backward. If you could somehow parse the subject line so that only the first one was retained, that would be good.

Regards,
Bruce

On Tue, Jun 15, 2021 at 7:42 AM Tanya's Feline CKD Website <helen@...> wrote:

What I am flagging as a bug is the endless repetition of these subject tags. One is now being added every time the mods write to each other, or whenever the mods communicate privately with group members. A current thread running behind the scenes of my group has four at the moment. You can't see the actual subject line for all the subject tags! Could it please just entirely disappear (my preference) or just remain at one subject tag at most.

Definitely sounds like a bug. How are these messages being sent? Are you just sending messages to +owner?

Malcolm Austen

This may not be the same issue but certainly since a change several months ago I have been aware that emails to +owner have the prefix text prefixed to them even if the text is already there ...

I just have not had time to study it properly/fully for a report ...

Malcolm.

On Tue, 15 Jun 2021 15:08:47 +0100, Tanya's Feline CKD Website <helen@felineckd.com> wrote:

Popping my head above the parapet because this is driving me mad.

I hate having subject tags on posts that are not sent directly to the group itself. This is a recentissh change that has made it a lot harder to filter messages where they need to go in my e-mail program (e.g. just found a few subscription approval requests in the folder for that group's messages). But I don't get my requests granted, so I'm just sucking it up .

What I am flagging as a bug is the endless repetition of these subject tags. One is now being added every time the mods write to each other, or whenever the mods communicate privately with group members. A current thread running behind the scenes of my group has four at the moment. You can't see the actual subject line for all the subject tags! Could it please just entirely disappear (my preference) or just remain at one subject tag at most.

Thanks

Helen (not Tanya)

--
Malcolm Austen - email: malcolm.austen@weald.org.uk