moderated Two activity log records created when a pending message is viewed before approval #bug

On Tue, Jun 1, 2021 at 07:11 AM, Duane wrote:
I don't see that it creates a problem as is, just an extra entry in the log that's not needed.
I agree with that. And it depends on what you mean by "needed" as applied to log entries. I feel it's appropriate to create a log entry for any significant action, even if you're not sure whether or not the logging changes anyone else's behavior. Sometimes you just want to know what's been happening in the group.

On Sun, May 30, 2021 at 05:43 PM, Andy Wedge wrote:
If I select the checkbox next to a pending message and approve it, I get one activity log message saying I approved the message. However if I view (not edit) the message first and then approve it, I get a message saying I claimed it and then another saying I approved it.
I had a chance to use this just now.  I feel it's a matter of placement of the claim function in the processing.  If I'm reading a message to make a decision, there's no need for a 'claim' if approved, only if I select the Reject button.  It's useful there because it can take a minute or two to create the reason for rejection, especially if there's not a canned notice, and another mod could happen to access the message during that time.  I don't see that it creates a problem as is, just an extra entry in the log that's not needed.

Duane

Andy Wedge

On Sun, May 30, 2021 at 11:48 PM, J_Catlady wrote:
I think it makes sense to mark it as claimed once you so much as open it, so other mods know that you may be working on it and don’t try to do that concurrently.
If I open it for edit then I agree and this is what happened previously. It was marked as claimed but the 'claim' wasn't recorded in the Activity Log.  I can view a pending message by clicking on the subject and then use Skip or Cancel and that doesn't mark it as claimed (in the same way that viewing a pending subscription request does not mark in as claimed). Marking something as claimed is only useful if there is a delay between the 'claim' and the approval/rejection so that another Mod knows you are dealing with it.  What's happening here is that the claim and approval are being logged at the same time so there's no chance that another Mod would even see that in the millisecond or so that it exists before approval.

Andy

I think it makes sense to mark it as claimed once you so much as open it, so other mods know that you may be working on it and don’t try to do that concurrently.

On May 30, 2021, at 3:43 PM, Andy Wedge <andy_wedge@...> wrote:

Hi Mark,

If I select the checkbox next to a pending message and approve it, I get one activity log message saying I approved the message. However if I view (not edit) the message first and then approve it, I get a message saying I claimed it and then another saying I approved it. I've raised this as a bug as I cannot see the need for the 'claim' entry when I have not edited the pending message.

Regards
Andy

Andy Wedge