locked Post

Hi All,

Some people are confused with the word Post being used in the sidebar to access the page for creating a new message. Once they go to that page, they think that clicking Post again in the sidebar sends the message that they've just composed (or clicking 'Post Message' at the top).

Perhaps changing the name of that page to 'New Message' would help. Thoughts?

I think 'New message' would be great! I've had to post instructions in my group on how to initiate a new post, because so many people can't figure it out and instead simply respond to whatever  message they find, even if it's a completely different topic.

Sent from my iPhone

On Apr 6, 2016, at 9:44 AM, Mark Fletcher <markf@corp.groups.io> wrote:

Hi All,

Some people are confused with the word Post being used in the sidebar to access the page for creating a new message. Once they go to that page, they think that clicking Post again in the sidebar sends the message that they've just composed (or clicking 'Post Message' at the top).

Perhaps changing the name of that page to 'New Message' would help. Thoughts?

John Green

Perhaps "New Message" and then either "Post" or "Send" or an Envelope flying symbol.

John Green

Sent from Samsung tablet.

Some people are confused with the word Post being used in the sidebar to access the page for creating a new message. Once they go to that page, they think that clicking Post again in the sidebar sends the message that they've just composed (or clicking 'Post Message' at the top).

Perhaps changing the name of that page to 'New Message' would help. Thoughts?

Hi,

I second this suggestion.

Cheers,

Joseph

Some people are confused with the word Post being used in the sidebar to access the page for creating a new message. Once they go to that page, they think that clicking Post again in the sidebar sends the message that they've just composed (or clicking 'Post Message' at the top).

Perhaps changing the name of that page to 'New Message' would help. Thoughts?

Ber <bxm@...>

I do not wonder at all about that problem. The current label "Post" is indeed ambigous on what action it leads to.

Posting a new message is—right after reading others—one of the most important functions/features of an emailling group solution. I think it therefore should be more prominently presented.

I'd suggest to tweak the userinterface to make it more intuitionally/contextually understandable. See my attached mock-up.

  1. group similar items – easier/faster to grasp underlying concepts
  2. intend "Post" as it is a subfunction of "Messages"
  3. maybe even rename "Post" to "post!" or "new post"

I just would not name it "new message" for two reasons: Firstly, it again does not say what "new message" does: write, read, eat??? Not clear, not fast. Secondly, it already says "Message" above – doubling that would not be 'pretty' and also not helpful.

Apart from that question, and mainly for aesthetical reasons, I'd get rid of the forced First Letter Capitalization in the UI altogether – or at least in the groupnames. I think it looks outdated and does not add functionality, rather distracts attention.

Ber–

Hi

Yes it would. While I understand what it is referring to, some can while others can't. It's all about comprehension at the end of the day. So "new message" would be more appropriate and definitely clearer.

On 6 Apr 2016, at 17:44, Mark Fletcher <markf@corp.groups.io> wrote:

Hi All,

Some people are confused with the word Post being used in the sidebar to access the page for creating a new message. Once they go to that page, they think that clicking Post again in the sidebar sends the message that they've just composed (or clicking 'Post Message' at the top).

Perhaps changing the name of that page to 'New Message' would help. Thoughts?

Ber,

1. group similar items – easier/faster to grasp underlying concepts
2. intend "Post" as it is a subfunction of "Messages"
Formatted that way, I'm tempted to suggest following Gmail's example and rename "Post" to "Compose". That makes clear that the action is the creation of the new message, rather than sending it.

But I don't know if "Compose" would be intuitive to non-Gmail users.

Also, "Compose" is a verb, so it seems out of place in that list. An advantage to "New Message" is that it is a noun, naming the page; which matches the rest of the list ("Home", "Messages", "Calendar", etc.). The confusion surrounding "Post" has to do with it being either a noun (create a post) or a verb (post the message).

--
Shal
https://groups.io/g/GroupManagersForum

John Green

On my tablet write a post or new message is represented by a symbol of a pen and paper. At the top it has attach, send, and more which includes save to drafts, send email to myself and more.

My favourite question in systems design was to ask what would you say in answer to "wouldn't it be nice if"...........

Personally, I like symbols.

John

Sent from Samsung tablet.

>    1. group similar items – easier/faster to grasp underlying concepts
>    2. intend "Post" as it is a subfunction of "Messages"

Formatted that way, I'm tempted to suggest following Gmail's example and
rename "Post" to "Compose". That makes clear that the action is the
creation of the new message, rather than sending it.

But I don't know if "Compose" would be intuitive to non-Gmail users.

Also, "Compose" is a verb, so it seems out of place in that list. An
advantage to "New Message" is that it is a noun, naming the page; which
matches the rest of the list ("Home", "Messages", "Calendar", etc.). The
confusion surrounding "Post" has to do with it being either a noun
(create a post) or a verb (post the message).

--
Shal
https://groups.io/g/GroupManagersForum

Duane

Or maybe even New Topic in the left menu to make it more clear? Possibly under Messages as Ber showed.

Duane

Can you just disable the "Post" option on the left if they're already in the posting section, so they can't click it again if they're already there?

By the way, while testing it out, I found that when I have a single draft and want to delete it, I pressed the delete button, and it asked me to confirm if I really wanted to delete those 0 messages. Then I realized there was a checkbox that needed to be checked, which I had overlooked before. No harm done, but maybe change the message if nothing has been selected to "Select message(s) to Delete", or if there's only one message there, decide that the user meant to just delete that one message, and consider it selected.

JohnF

Linda

Hi Guys,

I like Ber’s layout.  How about renaming the Post button Write?

Linda

Maria

Thank you for asking our opinion! It’s nice to be able to chime in.

I looked around various forums / listservs i use and it seems that the most common ways to indicate where/how to compose and post a new message are buttons that say:

1) + New Topic
(the PLUS sign and the words “new topic”)

2) pencil icon + words “New Topic"

3) Start a topic

4) pencil and pad icon + words "start a topic”

5) + Create Topic

6) + Post New Topic

7) Post a Topic

8) Start a new thread (hate that one)

Personally i prefer #1 the PLUS sign and the words “NEW TOPIC” or the pencil/pad icon + words “NEW TOPIC"

I am also thinking mostly about the mobile interface as 70% of our users are mobile.
I like the pencil and pad icon because that’s what IOS i-messages uses and a huge majority of our users are IOS based mobile users.

One suggestions on mobile: Is there a way for the icons for the various menu options to not be buried way at the bottom?
It’s disorienting for a new user to scroll all the way down to get started on a group and then it’s “time consuming” and not easy to have to do that every time one wants to read/post.

And then once a message is composed I think the button to send/submit it should say "send" or "send to group" "send to sender" or "send this message" as it already does. I think that part is perfect as is.

Thank you!
Maria

John Green

I like Maria’s suggestions. I also hate start new thread, and the buttons at the bottom are perfect. I really like that feature having just moved from Yahoo groups in the past few days.

John Green

[...]

Shadow Grafix <shadowgrafix@...>

As you can see, I'm way behind in messages but I felt compelled to respond to the message below. Some of my members are on special notice and don't receive the emails in their email client. They prefer to go to the website to read the mails. If they want to write an original message, they're going to need the post option. If you want to do away with it, may I humbly suggest that it be made an option rather than just completely doing away with it?
Judy

Can you just disable the "Post" option on the left if they're already in the posting section, so they can't click it again if they're already there?

By the way, while testing it out, I found that when I have a single draft and want to delete it, I pressed the delete button, and it asked me to confirm if I really wanted to delete those 0 messages. Then I realized there was a checkbox that needed to be checked, which I had overlooked before. No harm done, but maybe change the message if nothing has been selected to "Select message(s) to Delete", or if there's only one message there, decide that the user meant to just delete that one message, and consider it selected.

JohnF

weebeequilting <weebee.1@...>

Mark,

I was one of the ones who recently contacted you about this confusion about actually sending a composed message.  My members have never mentioned getting confused about the Post in the side bar.  It is the Post Message just above the Compose Message that is confusing them.  They mistakenly think that by clicking on Post Message they are sending the message--they have not noticed the send options at the bottom of the message they have composed.  When they click on the Post Message, they get a new blank message waiting for them to compose.  This is very confusing to them.  I have attached a screen shot showing what I mean.

Janice B

Hi All,

I've changed it to 'New Message'. I've also made it so that if you're on the New Message page, clicking New Message in the sidebar does nothing. Clicking on 'New Message' at the top of the page also does nothing, but that's been the case for some time now.

Thanks for all the feedback!

Mark

On Thu, Apr 7, 2016 at 1:18 PM, weebeequilting <weebee.1@...> wrote:

Mark,

I was one of the ones who recently contacted you about this confusion about actually sending a composed message.  My members have never mentioned getting confused about the Post in the side bar.  It is the Post Message just above the Compose Message that is confusing them.  They mistakenly think that by clicking on Post Message they are sending the message--they have not noticed the send options at the bottom of the message they have composed.  When they click on the Post Message, they get a new blank message waiting for them to compose.  This is very confusing to them.  I have attached a screen shot showing what I mean.

Janice B

vickie <vickie_00@...>

Mark,

I think it's good because  above new message it says messages
so  now the option  is for a new message.
Works for me
Thank you

Vickie