moderated File listing order changed? Why? #suggestion #fixed

Don Pottenger

Coming from 10 years+ at yahoo groups, I really don’t like the new sort order. I would much prefer to see all the folders first and then files like it used to be.

Derek Milliner

Same as Andy - doesn't render in email client, web or app.

The PDF icon thing may just be down to how the files are indexed. Simplistically you can use file extensions, but that's not reliable; just because it has .pdf or .docx doesn't mean it really is a PDF or word doc. Or you can use format signatures (magic bytes), where a file type will/should have known headers or byte patterns.

In the case of PDF files, the spec calls for the files to start with %PDF. However, many don't and most readers will happily open and parse files without it. If whatever tooling Mark is using to create the directory indexes relies on finding %PDF then you can see how the situation you describe might arise.

Gilbert Coville

I have some PDFs that came over in our migration from Yahoo back in Oct 2019.  The PDFs are fine, but show up as type File.  Probably something in the import process didn’t recognize them as PDF.   In another folder where this occurred, I re-uploaded them and they were identified properly as PDF.  I just haven’t done that with these files.

Gilbert

On May 15, 2021, at 10:04 AM, Andy <AI.egrps+io@...> wrote:

KWKloeber,

I'm not Derek -- but I could not see your screenshot either, both in email and online.  It's just an empty box.  What do you see when checking your own message online?  https://beta.groups.io/g/main/message/29453

Re: PDF files.  Are you saying groups.io is not consistent about PDF files, sometimes labeling them as non-pdf-non-folder Files?

Andy

Andy

KWKloeber,

I'm not Derek -- but I could not see your screenshot either, both in email and online.  It's just an empty box.  What do you see when checking your own message online?  https://beta.groups.io/g/main/message/29453

Re: PDF files.  Are you saying groups.io is not consistent about PDF files, sometimes labeling them as non-pdf-non-folder Files?

Andy

KWKloeber

Derek

can you see the screenshot online?
the ICON and TYPE are inconsistent when it comes to a pdf file.  Sometimes they’re both true to the subject file being a *.pdf and sometimes not.

pdf icon - PDF type
plain old icon - FILE type
(both examples I show in the screenshot are pdf files)

Duane

On Fri, May 14, 2021 at 10:35 AM, Andy wrote:
They used to display with Folders first, followed by Files, in the default view (with the up-arrow next to "Name").
Yes, that's the way it used to be in the default display instead of interspersed as they are now.

Duane

Derek Milliner

KWK - your image doesn't render for me, but I did have a look through the page code and I can see that Mark's using Font Awesome to provide the icons (see https://fontawesome.cc/Files/). As far as I can see from a brief look it's consistent across the site; for instance a folder icon is created by:

<i class="far fa-folder fa-lg"></i>

in both the listing and search results. The apparent switch to the white on black rather than black on white (now styled back to blue) would have been down to using the fas rather than far class by intent or typo, I think the code was actually generated as this in fact:

<i class="fa fa-folder fa-lg"></i>

Just my 2 Ningis worth...

KWKloeber

Icons and file types still oddly not consist?

Hi All,

The icons in the Files section have been updated. Also, the sort-by-Type issues should be fixed now. Please let me know if you see any issues.

On Fri, May 14, 2021 at 08:35 AM, Andy wrote:
If not you, then someone did.
The cat did it.
https://www.newyorker.com/humor/daily-shouts/an-introduction-to-asshole-cat-behaviors

Andy

Mark wrote, "I mean, not to be difficult or anything, but I haven't changed any part of the display on the Files page."

That's not quite true.

They used to display with Folders first, followed by Files, in the default view (with the up-arrow next to "Name").

Starting yesterday, they now display with Folders and Files intermixed.  Again, in the default view on the Files page.

So you changed something.  If not you, then someone did.

Andy

Andy

From my point of view, I find it confusing (amusing?) that the rest of you are talking about the "new" lack of colors in the icons.

That's because this, the black-and-white icons, is how they have ALWAYS looked to me (*).  I never (*) saw them in color.  They were crude, IMO, and always looked crude.

(*)  The exception being when I briefly used an XP computer, and suddenly they were in color.

I wonder what software Mark uses that wants to make them plain monochrome, which has now apparently spread to more platforms.

FYI, my platform is always a Windows-based PC.  I don't use a Mac, and don't use a Gizmo (what you probably call a "cellphone") for the web.  I use Google Chrome on all Windows platforms, so if Firefox or IE or Edge shows it differently, I wouldn't know it.  I get a feeling that the presence/absence of icon colors on groups.io is platform-dependent and maybe browser-dependent.  Why that would be, is an interesting question.  You'd think that good programmers would have figured this out by now.

Andy

Haha Mark, don’t be difficult! 😊 I’m completely uncaffeinated but I think I’ve used up that excuse. 🥲

On May 14, 2021, at 7:48 AM, Mark Fletcher <markf@corp.groups.io> wrote:

On Fri, May 14, 2021 at 7:39 AM J_Catlady <j.olivia.catlady@...> wrote:
Ok, so it’s the new positioning that’s at fault. (I could swear the old folder icons were blue! :-) In any case, it has now become prohibitively difficult (new characterization!) to distinguish folders from files in the list.

I mean, not to be difficult or anything, but I haven't changed any part of the display on the Files page. On the search results page I made it match the existing Files page, but that's it. I will work on the icons today, but that will be a new change.

On Fri, May 14, 2021 at 7:39 AM J_Catlady <j.olivia.catlady@...> wrote:
Ok, so it’s the new positioning that’s at fault. (I could swear the old folder icons were blue! :-) In any case, it has now become prohibitively difficult (new characterization!) to distinguish folders from files in the list.

I mean, not to be difficult or anything, but I haven't changed any part of the display on the Files page. On the search results page I made it match the existing Files page, but that's it. I will work on the icons today, but that will be a new change.

Maybe you could make the folder icons distinctly different now, even though they weren’t before? Could they be made blue now? Because I really find the new ordering scheme vastly superior.

On May 14, 2021, at 7:39 AM, J_Catlady via groups.io <j.olivia.catlady@...> wrote:

Ok, so it’s the new positioning that’s at fault. (I could swear the old folder icons were blue! :-) In any case, it has now become prohibitively difficult (new characterization!) to distinguish folders from files in the list.

On May 14, 2021, at 7:22 AM, Mark Fletcher <markf@corp.groups.io> wrote:

On Fri, May 14, 2021 at 6:36 AM J_Catlady <j.olivia.catlady@...> wrote:
On Fri, May 14, 2021 at 04:28 AM, Beth Weld wrote:
I really don't like the black icons for both folders and files.
Agreed. In my usual hyperbolic fashion, I'd call the new icons virtually useless. However, I do prefer the new ordering scheme, as long as the icons can be fixed. (Otherwise, you need to separate files and folders physically to be able to quickly tell them apart.)

I haven't changed the icons, they've always been like that....

[...]

Mark

On Fri, May 14, 2021 at 04:28 AM, Beth Weld wrote:
I really don't like the black icons for both folders and files.
Agreed. In my usual hyperbolic fashion, I'd call the new icons virtually useless. However, I do prefer the new ordering scheme, as long as the icons can be fixed. (Otherwise, you need to separate files and folders physically to be able to quickly tell them apart.)

Beth Weld

Interesting change - I just checked it, and I have to confess that I really don't like the black icons for both folders and files.  I have to think (oh no!) and really look at the listing to figure out what I'm looking at.  Can we at least have different colored icons to be able to quickly tell a folder from a file please?
Thanks
Beth

Andy

I wrote that incorrectly and it could be confused.

I didn't mean that folders have both icons at the same time.  It is one or the other.  But (see https://beta.groups.io/g/main/message/29420) after doing a Search in Files, some folders are identified as "File" instead of "Folder", and the ones that say "Files" have the vertical file-icon rather than the horizontal folder-icon.  As a result, the folders are displayed with a mixture of both kinds of icons, and you can't use the icon to tell whether it's a folder or a regular file.  Unless it has the folder icon, and then it really is a folder.

I never see colored icons at Groups.io on this computer.  They are only black, which makes it harder because the shape of the icon is the only difference.  I also have use of an older computer that still runs Windows XP and I think it shows colored icons, but not this one.  I guess you now see what I have been living with all along, in that department.

Andy