moderated Pricing and image attachments #suggestion #misc

Duane

On Thu, May 13, 2021 at 07:24 PM, Skip Montanaro wrote:
someone asked what I thought to be a pricing question on GMF and was directed here
Not directly.  They were complaining about the prices and asked if they could be changed.  THAT type of thing does need to be here so that Groups.io management can respond, if they choose.

At the present time, support only responds to owners of paid groups, as noted at the top of the page at https://groups.io/helpcenter

Duane

Skip Montanaro <skip.montanaro@...>

It's also good manners to ask questions like this on GMF or Group_Help.  The beta group is intended for #bugs or #suggestions as noted on the Home page and in the Charter (sticky) message.

Thanks, Duane. I will point out that I asked the pricing question here precisely because someone asked what I thought to be a pricing question on GMF and was directed here. I also sent a note to support@groups.io (which I found somewhere on the groups.io website) and heard nothing but crickets. I thus decided to send a note here.

Cheers,

Skip

Duane

On Thu, May 13, 2021 at 11:31 AM, Skip Montanaro wrote:
  • Am I right in calculating the yearly cost of a 4000-member group as ($20 + $0.04 * 3500) * 12 == $1920/year (minimum)? (A concrete example in the pricing docs would be helpful.)
Yes, that would be correct if paid monthly ($1760 paid annually.)

  • If I send an email with an image inserted by URL using a system which supports it, is the image referenced by URL in the group archives or does your system load the image into the particular group's storage?
If it's a URL, it's loaded from that location.  If it's inline or attached, it's 'local'.  Remote images don't use any of the group's storage limit.

FYI, there's a huge amount of information in the Owners Manual (and Members Manual) that can answer a lot of questions.  It's also good manners to ask questions like this on GMF or Group_Help.  The beta group is intended for #bugs or #suggestions as noted on the Home page and in the Charter (sticky) message.

Duane

Skip Montanaro <skip.montanaro@...>

I've joined GIO as an individual just to check it out. I help with a couple large Google Groups (about 3500 & 4000 members each) and have a couple questions.
  1. Am I right in calculating the yearly cost of a 4000-member group as ($20 + $0.04 * 3500) * 12 == $1920/year (minimum)? (A concrete example in the pricing docs would be helpful.)
  2. If I send an email with an image inserted by URL using a system which supports it, is the image referenced by URL in the group archives or does your system load the image into the particular group's storage? I can see pros and cons to both ways of doing this. See below for such an example.

Thanks,

Skip Montanaro