moderated Email delay bug is back #bug

All apologies, Mark. When I saw that it had reached five minutes, I thought it might be happening again. But maybe it was only four. :)

On May 11, 2021, at 10:52 AM, Mark Fletcher <markf@corp.groups.io> wrote:

All,

Periodically, I'll have to take a mail server down for maintenance for a couple of minutes. I don't generally announce these, because it's just a couple minutes. Anything under a 5 minute delay does not need to be reported.

Also, I've certainly seen delays on the receiving end of things, like with Gmail, which also sometimes prevents timely delivery of email.

All,

Periodically, I'll have to take a mail server down for maintenance for a couple of minutes. I don't generally announce these, because it's just a couple minutes. Anything under a 5 minute delay does not need to be reported.

Also, I've certainly seen delays on the receiving end of things, like with Gmail, which also sometimes prevents timely delivery of email.

Malcolm Austen

On Tue, 11 May 2021 18:03:33 +0100, J_Catlady <j.olivia.catlady@...> wrote:

That is why I said it's "back." There was an acknowledged email problem a couple of weeks ago, and Mark had temporarily turned off one of the servers, or something.

I'm afraid I don't think 5 minutes delays now can obviously be ascribed to the issue that caused 20 minutes delays two weeks ago.

Malcolm.

--
Malcolm Austen - email: malcolm.austen@...

That is why I said it's "back." There was an acknowledged email problem a couple of weeks ago, and Mark had temporarily turned off one of the servers, or something.

Malcolm Austen

On Tue, 11 May 2021 16:10:35 +0100, J_Catlady <j.olivia.catlady@gmail.com> wrote:

Messages that post immediately on site are taking about five minutes to come through email this morning. Same with pending message notifications.
Regardless of the effect of polling frequency in your mail client, I don't think anyone should ever see a 5 minute delay on an email as a bug! Grey-listing can easily account for such a delay, as can any number of other routine SMTP occurrences.

Malcolm.

--
Malcolm Austen - email: malcolm.austen@weald.org.uk

Mine usually appear instantaneously.

On Tue, May 11, 2021 at 9:31 AM Duane <txpigeon@...> wrote:
On Tue, May 11, 2021 at 10:23 AM, J_Catlady wrote:
Messages that post immediately on site are taking about five minutes to come through email this morning
How often do you have your client set to check email?  Mine is set for 13 minutes, so the delay could be that long before it would come in.

On Tue, May 11, 2021 at 10:23 AM, J_Catlady wrote:
Messages that post immediately on site are taking about five minutes to come through email this morning
How often do you have your client set to check email?  Mine is set for 13 minutes, so the delay could be that long before it would come in.

Duane