moderated "member message" urgently needs logging #suggestion #fixed

Great, thanks, Mark!

On Jun 3, 2021, at 10:34 AM, Mark Fletcher <markf@corp.groups.io> wrote:

On Thu, May 27, 2021 at 08:52 PM, J_Catlady wrote:

This is a request for an exception to the inclusion of text in the logging of member messages: could Member Notices be exempting from the logging of the text?

I've changed it so that if you select a member notice when sending a message to a member (or members), we now log a pointer to that member notice, instead of showing the entire message in the activity log. This only applies to new messages, and it doesn't discriminate if you select a member notice and then edit it, it will still point to the member notice in the log and not show the (edited) message.

Cheers,

On Thu, May 27, 2021 at 08:52 PM, J_Catlady wrote:

This is a request for an exception to the inclusion of text in the logging of member messages: could Member Notices be exempting from the logging of the text?

I've changed it so that if you select a member notice when sending a message to a member (or members), we now log a pointer to that member notice, instead of showing the entire message in the activity log. This only applies to new messages, and it doesn't discriminate if you select a member notice and then edit it, it will still point to the member notice in the log and not show the (edited) message.

Cheers,
Mark

This is a request for an exception to the inclusion of text in the logging of member messages: could Member Notices be exempting from the logging of the text? I just sent the group guidelines to a member, resulting in a multi-page log entry consisting of the entire text of our (long) group guidelines. I'm suggesting that in the case of sending a canned Member Notice, the log entry just specity that the specified notice was sent.

Bob Bellizzi

Thank you, Mark.
Much Appreciated.
Bob
--

Bob Bellizzi
FuchsFriends@groups.io online  support  group for corneal dystrophy patients & caregivers

And it's recording the text of the message, too. Great!

Mark,
Thank you!!!!!!!!

On May 12, 2021, at 9:35 AM, Mark Fletcher <markf@corp.groups.io> wrote:

Hi All,

We now log this.

Cheers,

Hi All,

We now log this.

Cheers,
Mark

That's odd. My drafts of Member Messages have always been saved. And I just retested that.

Bob Bellizzi

How about noting that in addition nothing in the logs, if one accidentally exits to anywhere for any reason, there is no draft saved.
I had a really complex issue to explain to a member who was moderated and didn't know why his message(s) were held up (we had to do lots of research about them).
Somehow, these fingers lost groups.io near the end of the message I was composing to him.
Since no draft had been saved (moderator to member, remember), I resorted to build it in Word and then copied & pasted.
But no draft is very frustrating, especially in relation to  complex or touchy member dialog.
--

Bob Bellizzi
FuchsFriends@groups.io online  support  group for corneal dystrophy patients & caregivers
The Corneal Dystrophy Foundation

So, given time and opportunity, this is ‘fixable.’ That’s good to know.

Oversights happen.

Dan Tucker, Groups.io  AFDRetiree’s Group Founder/Owner/Moderator

From: "main@beta.groups.io" <main@beta.groups.io> on behalf of Mark Fletcher <markf@corp.groups.io>
Date: Tuesday, May 11, 2021 at 12:36 PM
To: "main@beta.groups.io" <main@beta.groups.io>
Subject: Re: [beta] "member message" urgently needs logging #suggestion

On Tue, May 11, 2021 at 12:24 PM Andy <AI.egrps+io@...> wrote:

I'm going off on a bit of a tangent here --

But I do find it puzzling how some Moderator actions are not logged.  It is puzzling why.  I wonder if it's "just because", or if there was a design reason for it.

It's generally because I forgot to implement the logging when I implemented the functionality. Nothing deeper than that.

Mark

On Tue, May 11, 2021 at 12:24 PM Andy <AI.egrps+io@...> wrote:
I'm going off on a bit of a tangent here --

But I do find it puzzling how some Moderator actions are not logged.  It is puzzling why.  I wonder if it's "just because", or if there was a design reason for it.

It's generally because I forgot to implement the logging when I implemented the functionality. Nothing deeper than that.

Mark

Andy

I'm going off on a bit of a tangent here --

But I do find it puzzling how some Moderator actions are not logged.  It is puzzling why.  I wonder if it's "just because", or if there was a design reason for it.

Andy

On Tue, May 11, 2021 at 11:23 AM, Duane wrote:
one of the earlier plans was to add outgoing messages to the +owner Messages area
Well, maybe that's the hold up. That sounds complicated. But it doesn't have to be that complicated. Just add a simple activity "sent member message" and include the text. Once a conversation gets going (response to owner message, etc.), the rest of it takes place in the actual email address of the mod, anyway (at least, that's how it works currently). So no need to record these in owner/member messages once they get past the first response.

And searching on "notification overhaul," I found this even more recent message from Chris:
https://beta.groups.io/g/main/message/26230
"Unless my recollection is failing Posts to Members used to be a "recorded activity", with Post (or message) to Member being in the drop - down  list of individual activities. Having had to send a couple this evening there is no sign of them in the Activity list and no relevant option in the drop - down although "Post to Member" appears in my Email Delivery History based on Bcc Moderators..."
Hey, Chris, this feature is not going to save the world. Forget about it! It's always been this way!

(A traveler checks into a hotel and starts to take a shower, but there's no hot water. Strange, he thinks, because there was hot running water in the sink. So he asks why there's no hot water in the shower, because he just froze his a** off. He's told that it's always been that way, just take some hot water from the sink! It's what everyone does here, so get used to it. Besides, hot water in the shower is not going to cure cancer!)

On Mon, May 10, 2021 at 03:15 PM, J_Catlady wrote:
In the beginning, it was promised by Mark as part of the “upcoming notification overhaul.’
If I remember correctly, one of the earlier plans was to add outgoing messages to the +owner Messages area on each member subscription, so all messages both ways would be found in the same place.  I seem to recall that having the Reply button work the same as on regular messages, automatically quote any highlighted text (or all), was also requested as part of that scenario.  Definitely been awhile back.  I even found a reference to it on the old Trello page from 2016, https://trello.com/c/dIIABeqs/150-display-all-owner-messages-in-one-page

Duane

On Tue, May 11, 2021 at 09:36 AM, Duane wrote:
t a lot of members don't check their spam/junk folder, so wouldn't be lying, just uninformed.
Yes. Was just responding to Chris's "they might deny all knowledge of it."

And the fact that the messages may go into spam is argument for, not against, the logging. If there's a log entry, I can ask the member to check their spam, at least knowing that the message has been sent.

Responding belatedly to Andy's comment that it has always been this way: yes! That's also further argument for, not against it. This poor little feature has been waiting its turn in line for YEARS, while nearly every new member wonders why it's not there and has to go through the hazing of the old-timers sagely telling them "next time, use bcc [you fool]" :)

I didn't miss anything.

Chris Jones

On Tue, May 11, 2021 at 05:33 PM, J_Catlady wrote:
The feature is asked for by almost every new member, has been begged and pleaded for for years, and its lack is always inexplicable to people.
I think you missed the bit in my earlier post when I stated Again I find myself having some sympathy for this request...

I am not arguing against the request, merely pointing out that it is not a cure for all known diseases.

Chris

Duane

On Tue, May 11, 2021 at 10:54 AM, J_Catlady wrote:
I don’t believe group members tend to lie about not having received a message.
But a lot of members don't check their spam/junk folder, so wouldn't be lying, just uninformed.

Duane

This is a message from you, Chris, in 2018, on GMF (emphasis added).
Title: "Possible Missing Activity"

I had the need to send a message to a member before either releasing or rejecting a message from him in moderation.
I know the message I sent him was sent because I checked the "bcc Moderators" box and received a copy of it. However, that "activity" does not appear in the log and I can find no category in the list of activities that covers it.
Can anyone confirm (or otherwise) that this action is one that for whatever reason is not logged?
Chris

https://groups.io/g/GroupManagersForum/message/11366

And here are a few more. Easy to find: just search on the ubiquitously suggested workaround, "bcc":

https://groups.io/g/GroupManagersForum/topic/78841674

"I don't see a record of these direct emails under Admin->Activity.
Are these messages logged anywhere??"

https://groups.io/g/GroupManagersForum/topic/75147275

"These don't show up in Activity for some reason, which maybe is a good suggestion for Beta"

https://groups.io/g/GroupManagersForum/topic/64415660

"When using the "Send message" function to email a member about a pending post, is the message saved somewhere? I have looked but can't find them."

And on and on they go, back to the beginnings of time. It has almost become a hazing ritual for new members! They need to be put in their place, informed that the messags are not logged and and told to "just use bcc"!

 I didn't bother to search beta but the request has been ongoing here, as well. I know because I've participated in them. (I'm not in GMF but I was sure new people had to be wondering why these messages were not logged, so I searched there. I was not wrong.)

The feature is asked for by almost every new member, has been begged and pleaded for for years, and its lack is always inexplicable to people.

I rest my case. :)

---