moderated Log the claiming of a pending member by a mod #suggestion #done

On Fri, May 21, 2021 at 3:08 PM Andy Wedge <andy_wedge@...> wrote:
On Fri, May 21, 2021 at 09:05 PM, Mark Fletcher wrote:
and claiming pending messages.
Now if I could only delete a pending message claimed by another moderator (#29182) ...

Hmm. I just logged in as you and was able to delete it. Please let me know if you see this happen again.

Andy Wedge

On Fri, May 21, 2021 at 09:05 PM, Mark Fletcher wrote:
and claiming pending messages.
Now if I could only delete a pending message claimed by another moderator (#29182) ...

Andy

On Wed, May 5, 2021 at 08:40 AM, J_Catlady wrote:
It would be helpful if the claiming of a pending member by a mod were logged, making this information more easily available to other mods.
We now log claiming pending members and claiming pending messages.

On Fri, May 7, 2021 at 02:25 PM, Malcolm Austen wrote:
I assumed that it explicitly prevented another moderator taking action on it.
It's only a notification.  Another mod can take it over, but only online.

Duane

On Fri, May 7, 2021 at 12:25 PM, Malcolm Austen wrote:
Is "just informative" sufficient?
Not just sufficient. Actually better than locking out other moderators, for obvious reasons, including the (pseudo-)problem mentioned upthread.

Malcolm Austen

On Fri, 07 May 2021 17:53:47 +0100, J_Catlady <j.olivia.catlady@...> wrote:

On Fri, May 7, 2021 at 09:48 AM, Marina wrote:

The moderator in charge could do nothing about the nessage because, apparently, it had been claimed by me.
Well, that's different from claimed pending members. The claiming doesn't prevent any other mod from acting on the member. It's just informative. So either claimed messages are different, or the other mod misunderstood. I don't know.

I assumed that it explicitly prevented another moderator taking action on it. Is "just informative" sufficient?

Malcolm.

--
Malcolm Austen - email: malcolm.austen@...

Malcolm Austen

On Thu, 06 May 2021 22:27:20 +0100, J_Catlady <j.olivia.catlady@...> wrote:

On Thu, May 6, 2021 at 01:01 PM, Malcolm Austen wrote:
by accidentally clicking on [Edit]
But even to do that, you would be in the pending message list and the message would be marked as already claimed. Right?

No, I'm talking about the situation in which an unclaimed message might be claimed by mistake and can not tyen be unclaimed.

In any case, maybe claiming a message should be changed to the same mechanism as for claiming a pending member, namely, you affirmatively click the claim button.

As I have said, I have requested an explicit [Claim] button for messages rather than having to do it as a side-effect of an edit.

Malcolm.

--
Malcolm Austen - email: malcolm.austen@...

Wait, you’re against the feature? I’m just saying that adding a log entry is useful (although not strictly necessary) information, and as with many other logged actions whose information can be also found in other places, would be more consistent if logged too.

On May 7, 2021, at 10:29 AM, J_Catlady via groups.io <j.olivia.catlady@...> wrote:

Exactly.

On May 7, 2021, at 10:20 AM, Chris Jones via groups.io <chrisjones12@...> wrote:

On Thu, May 6, 2021 at 07:05 PM, J_Catlady wrote:
How could you inadvertently claim a pending message? Can’t you only claim via the website, where the message would be marked as claimed?
I have been watching this topic from the sidelines...  until now. As with Claiming a Message a Pending member can only be Claimed via the website, at which point it is badged accordingly, also indicating who claimed it.

While not opposing the suggestion that a claiming action should be a recorded Activity I would point out that who claimed which Pending Member is most easily found from the Pending Members list; more easily in fact that having to filter the Activity log. Just go the the Pending members list and all current "claims" are visible at the same time.

Chris

[...]

Chris Jones

On Thu, May 6, 2021 at 07:05 PM, J_Catlady wrote:
How could you inadvertently claim a pending message? Can’t you only claim via the website, where the message would be marked as claimed?
I have been watching this topic from the sidelines...  until now. As with Claiming a Message a Pending member can only be Claimed via the website, at which point it is badged accordingly, also indicating who claimed it.

While not opposing the suggestion that a claiming action should be a recorded Activity I would point out that who claimed which Pending Member is most easily found from the Pending Members list; more easily in fact that having to filter the Activity log. Just go the the Pending members list and all current "claims" are visible at the same time.

Chris

On Fri, May 7, 2021 at 09:48 AM, Marina wrote:
Beta is not for lenghty discussions
Haha! That's a good one. ;)

The moderator in charge could do nothing about the nessage because, apparently, it had been claimed by me.
Well, that's different from claimed pending members. The claiming doesn't prevent any other mod from acting on the member. It's just informative. So either claimed messages are different, or the other mod misunderstood. I don't know.

In any case, I don't see how logging the claiming does anything to solve this problem, although, as I said, I think it might be useful for other reasons.

Marina

J_Catlady:
How could you inadvertently claim a pending message?
I didn't go into detail because I know that Beta is not for lenghty discussions.
Some days ago, I checked (opened) a pending message via web. I though about correcting it, then I changed my mind because it was not my turn to moderate the group and I left it there.
The moderator in charge could do nothing about the nessage because, apparently, it had been claimed by me.
I didn't remember claiming it, so I checked my activity and the group activity, but I found out that claiming is not logged.

Malcom's explanation about the [Edit] + [Cancel] thing has shed some light on the problem, though.

Marina

On Thu, 06 May 2021 19:05:23 +0100, J_Catlady <j.olivia.catlady@...> wrote:

How could you inadvertently claim a pending message?

Easily, by accidentally clicking on [Edit]. The way out of the edit is, of course, to click [Cancel] but that leaves the message in a claimed state.

I have already requested a specific [Claim] button in another post ... please?

If [Edit]; [Cancel] continues to claim a pending message, can we also have an [Unclaim] button please?

Malcolm.

--
Malcolm Austen - email: malcolm.austen@...

How could you inadvertently claim a pending message? Can’t you only claim via the website, where the message would be marked as claimed? Just curious. I like the proposed additional feature too, same as i like my originally proposed feature (logging claiming of pending members), but not for that reason.

On May 6, 2021, at 10:49 AM, Marina <moderatore@...> wrote:

I was just about to ask for the same feature. After inadvertently claiming a pending message, I checked both my activity log and the group log, but I found out that "Claim" was not listed under the Actions dropdown menu.

Marina

Marina

I was just about to ask for the same feature. After inadvertently claiming a pending message, I checked both my activity log and the group log, but I found out that "Claim" was not listed under the Actions dropdown menu.

Marina

That's a great idea as it can also help provide the group moderator pool's trends & metrics to the owner.

I guess we should also add the logging of claiming a pending message to the request.

Cheers,
Christos