Search bar reformatting #update

Duane

On Wed, May 5, 2021 at 11:08 AM, KWKloeber wrote:
That icon is **always** found at the right end of a search box
Not necessarily.  I'm on 3 other sites that use the icon to open a search box, so GIO isn't the only one doing it.

Duane

KWKloeber

>>> On mobile, you now have to tap the search icon (the little magnifying glass).<<<

While no deal breaker a better representation might be a link button, not the spy glass icon. That icon is **always** found at the right end of a search box, and not to home-into in order to jump to a search page.  Yesterday I tried tapping several times to the left trying to land in some imaginary box to enter a search string.  I even put a new battery in my finger, thinking that might be the issue.
I understand the love of reducing everything possible to icons, but then so could the others be that are on the page.  Why not?  Maybe to avoid confusion - which is what this generated.  I don’t believe I’m inherently dumber than most users (no poll necessary, as I did figure it out) but why impose “ahh ha” moments on old-dogs who may not he icon savvy.)
I don’t pretend to understand what’s inherently wrong with “words” and why it’s location needs to be there, but graying into the line to the left is confusing.  It might be less so as  a stand-apart icon box to differentiate that to the left is not a search box.

As a suggestion, possibly a heads up why different changes are necessary would connect up the logic to those who don’t understand the *whys* and *wherefores*?

TY & 🖖

Ken K

Bruce Bowman

On Tue, May 4, 2021 at 12:11 AM, Linda Perry wrote:
I can't find the search bar for message.  I see you pushed it to the breadcrumb row but I don't know where that is either.
On mobile, you now have to tap the search icon (the little magnifying glass).

Regards,
Bruce

Andy Wedge

On Tue, May 4, 2021 at 05:11 AM, Linda Perry wrote:
I can't find the search bar for message.  I see you pushed it to the breadcrumb row but I don't know where that is either.   Why is the message box not on top front and center like it has been and what is a breadcrumb row?
The search bar has moved to the top right corner of the Groups.io window, just below your name.

The breadcrumb is a series of links across the top of the page which show the route taken to get to your current display and provide quick navigation links to go back to a previous point:

See also https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Breadcrumb_navigation

As has been pointed out by J (in #29304), after an initial search, the search box actually moves back to its original location which seems weird as it introduces a lack of consistency.

Andy

Linda Perry

I can't find the search bar for message.  I see you pushed it to the breadcrumb row but I don't know where that is either.   Why is the message box not on top front and center like it has been and what is a breadcrumb row?

On Fri, Apr 30, 2021 at 2:55 PM Andy <AI.egrps+io@...> wrote:
I don't know if I am looking at the right thing.  But when I search within Files, today I frequently encounter an error.

Go to Files, then Search for something.  So far, so good.  Then type something else into the search box, and:

    404 page not found

It happens every time.

This should be fixed now.

(BTW, I don't see anything new or different about the search bar, except for Messages where it moved.  Wow.  (Not!)  For searching in Members or Activity, it looks like nothing changed.  What did?)

Mainly behind the scenes HTML. And when viewing on mobile.

Andy

I don't know if I am looking at the right thing.  But when I search within Files, today I frequently encounter an error.

Go to Files, then Search for something.  So far, so good.  Then type something else into the search box, and:

    404 page not found

It happens every time.

I don't recall if that happened before, but I did not see it until now, so I suspect this is new.

(BTW, I don't see anything new or different about the search bar, except for Messages where it moved.  Wow.  (Not!)  For searching in Members or Activity, it looks like nothing changed.  What did?)

Andy

I'm not a fan of this. Only the first search uses the new searchbox, and from there, if you want to use one of the "tools," it reverts to the old search box, including to enter a new search term. I don't understand how this is an improvement. Can someone fill me in?

Hi All,

I just pushed a set of changes to several pages on the site involving the search bar. I've worked to make it more consistent. The search bar is now in the breadcrumb row, except on small devices/the app, where it becomes an icon and a popup. I've also made several other minor tweaks to improve formatting throughout. Please let me know if you see anything amiss.