moderated Sending member message to multiple members fails #bug


 

You can select n number of members from the member page, and for "action" select "send message," but in composing the message, the top displays "send to 0 members" and the message does not get sent to the selected members.
--
J

Messages are the sole opinion of the author, especially the fishy ones.
My humanity is bound up in yours, for we can only be human together. - Desmond Tutu


Andy Wedge
 

On Mon, Apr 26, 2021 at 01:03 AM, J_Catlady wrote:
You can select n number of members from the member page, and for "action" select "send message," but in composing the message, the top displays "send to 0 members" and the message does not get sent to the selected members.
It works perfectly for me and I've just done another test to prove it. The count of the the number of members selected was correct, messages were sent (according to the Email Delivery History for each member) and messages were received by each member.

Andy


 

Were yours on multiple pages? I think that may have been the problem. I think it may be losing the ones on previous pages as you scroll through, and my last page didn’t have any selected.


On Apr 26, 2021, at 12:07 AM, Andy Wedge <andy_wedge@...> wrote:

On Mon, Apr 26, 2021 at 01:03 AM, J_Catlady wrote:
You can select n number of members from the member page, and for "action" select "send message," but in composing the message, the top displays "send to 0 members" and the message does not get sent to the selected members.
It works perfectly for me and I've just done another test to prove it. The count of the the number of members selected was correct, messages were sent (according to the Email Delivery History for each member) and messages were received by each member.

Andy

--
J

Messages are the sole opinion of the author, especially the fishy ones.
My humanity is bound up in yours, for we can only be human together. - Desmond Tutu


 

On Mon, Apr 26, 2021 at 05:58 AM, J_Catlady wrote:
it may be losing the ones on previous pages as you scroll through
I've confirmed that that's the bug. Even on a subsequent page with none selected on that particular page, it says "x members" selected and therefore seems to remember the selections from previous pages. But it has actually lost them and will display "send to 0 members" once you select Send Message.
 
--
J

Messages are the sole opinion of the author, especially the fishy ones.
My humanity is bound up in yours, for we can only be human together. - Desmond Tutu


Andy Wedge
 

On Mon, Apr 26, 2021 at 01:58 PM, J_Catlady wrote:
it may be losing the ones on previous pages as you scroll through
It has never worked when scrolling through multiple pages as far as I recall even though the number of members selected as you navigate from page to page in the member list  is correct. As you said, when you select 'Send Message' from the Actions button, it says sending to 0 (zero) members. It's for that reason that I normally switch to infinite scroll on the rare occasions I need to select multiple members I cannot just do a search for.

Andy


 

Maybe it has never worked but that just means it's a OLD bug! It's still a bug. :)


On Mon, Apr 26, 2021 at 6:12 AM Andy Wedge <andy_wedge@...> wrote:
On Mon, Apr 26, 2021 at 01:58 PM, J_Catlady wrote:
it may be losing the ones on previous pages as you scroll through
It has never worked when scrolling through multiple pages as far as I recall even though the number of members selected as you navigate from page to page in the member list  is correct. As you said, when you select 'Send Message' from the Actions button, it says sending to 0 (zero) members. It's for that reason that I normally switch to infinite scroll on the rare occasions I need to select multiple members I cannot just do a search for.

Andy


--
J

Messages are the sole opinion of the author, especially the fishy ones.
My humanity is bound up in yours, for we can only be human together. - Desmond Tutu


 

On Mon, Apr 26, 2021 at 06:12 AM, Andy Wedge wrote:
when you select 'Send Message' from the Actions button, it says sending to 0 (zero) members.
More accurately, it sends only to (and displays "sending to") the number members from the current page you're on, be that 0, 1, or however many are checked on that particular page. That's despite the announcement "n members checked" where n is the total from all the pages you selected from.
 
--
J

Messages are the sole opinion of the author, especially the fishy ones.
My humanity is bound up in yours, for we can only be human together. - Desmond Tutu


 

On Sun, Apr 25, 2021 at 07:03 PM, J_Catlady wrote:
You can select n number of members from the member page, and for "action" select "send message," but in composing the message, the top displays "send to 0 members" and the message does not get sent to the selected members.
On Sun, Apr 25, 2021 at 05:53 PM, in a different thread, J_Catlady wrote:
That would be a great feature, if it were working. But it's not. My test group strips fonts and colors and the preview does not. I just tested it. Maybe should file a bug report.
There seems to be a pattern here. People say something works, and J. Catlady says, "No, it doesn't." Maybe there's something weird going on with her browser, or her OS? For what it's worth, I'm running Firefox 78.10(esr) on a Gentoo Linux system (kernel version 5.10.27) that I compiled myself. I'm spending $20 a month for a premium group.

It might be nice if the participants in this group had a way to share information about their respective browsers / operating systems, to make it easier to track down real bugs in groups.io software (as opposed to glitches in people's platforms). Just a thought.

 
--
David Bryant
Canyon Lake, Texas
https://t-vog.groups.io/g/main    https://davidcbryant.net


 

There's no problem with my browser and no pattern. The send to multiple members bug is real. Not sure what's going on with the preview feature
Thanks.
--
J

Messages are the sole opinion of the author, especially the fishy ones.
My humanity is bound up in yours, for we can only be human together. - Desmond Tutu


Andy Wedge
 

On Mon, Apr 26, 2021 at 02:56 PM, David Bryant wrote:
There seems to be a pattern here. People say something works, and J. Catlady says, "No, it doesn't."
As always, the devil is in the detail and the original post did not specify members being selected across multiple pages.

Andy


 

On Mon, Apr 26, 2021 at 07:47 AM, Andy Wedge wrote:
the original post did not specify members being selected across multiple pages
Exactly. I would retitle the bug "to members across multiple pages" instead of "to multiple members."

I'm also not sure whether it applies to more actions besides Send Message. It's hard to test, because at least with Send Message, nothing happens until you start composing the message. I don't have enough test bandwidth in my test group to try other actions, and I'm loathe to send test messages to my real group.

The qualification of this is a bug lies in the fact that the page explicitly says "n members checked" and then does the action only to the subset of the smaller number of members checked on the particular page - just in case anyone wants to call this a "feature." :)
 
--
J

Messages are the sole opinion of the author, especially the fishy ones.
My humanity is bound up in yours, for we can only be human together. - Desmond Tutu


 

On Mon, Apr 26, 2021 at 09:33 AM, J_Catlady wrote:
The qualification of this is a bug
typo - should read "The qualification of this as a bug"
 
--
J

Messages are the sole opinion of the author, especially the fishy ones.
My humanity is bound up in yours, for we can only be human together. - Desmond Tutu


 

On Mon, Apr 26, 2021 at 9:33 AM J_Catlady <j.olivia.catlady@...> wrote:

Exactly. I would retitle the bug "to members across multiple pages" instead of "to multiple members."

This has been fixed.

Thanks,
Mark 


 

Thanks, Mark. This will be very helpful!
--
J

Messages are the sole opinion of the author, especially the fishy ones.
My humanity is bound up in yours, for we can only be human together. - Desmond Tutu