moderated Enable membership-editing capability in group-profile page for ADMINS as well #suggestion

Hi Mark,

A: Right now, only the account owner sees the membership-editing button strip on the profile page (plus the "Edit Group Profile" button).

B: A different user, even if an admin, does not see those options.

While the "Edit Group Profile" button itself should of course continue functioning like that, I would suggest that the membership-editing button strip*** also gets enabled if the user is an admin (with the appropriate mod permissions), *** the "Membership" button at least albeit the "Email Delivery History" button would also be handy.

That would be very helpful work- & speed-wise because right now, if you click on someone's linked name in a message (email or online) hoping to go to their membership page so you can set them on temporary moderation (for example), the link takes you instead to their profile page.  To change their membership you now have to go to Admin, Members, and search for them, it takes a bit.  If that membership strip was also enabled for Admins as well in the profile page, it would be a single click to edit their membership, and it makes the job easier and faster.

Thanks and Cheers,
Christos

Duane

On Sat, Apr 24, 2021 at 04:46 PM, Christos G. Psarras wrote:
if you click on someone's linked name in a message (email or online) hoping to go to their membership page
If you're an admin/mod and reading online, you can just go to More under the message and select Member Page (which is what I usually do.)

Duane

On Sat, Apr 24, 2021 at 02:46 PM, Christos G. Psarras wrote:
right now, if you click on someone's linked name in a message (email or online) hoping to go to their membership page so you can set them on temporary moderation (for example), the link takes you instead to their profile page
I agree that this fact is a terrible PITA and has me cursing time and time again. But I don't agree with the solution proposed here. It would be orders of magnitude more convenient if clicking on that link took a mod to the user's member page instead of the (generally, or at least relatively, useless) profile page.

On Sat, Apr 24, 2021 at 06:19 PM, J_Catlady wrote:
It would be orders of magnitude more convenient if clicking on that link took a mod to the user's member page instead of the (generally, or at least relatively, useless) profile page.
But then it wouldn't work for regular members unless the group is set to allow them to see the Member List.  I wouldn't want it to work differently depending on the "clicker's" status (consistency is good.)

Duane

Duane, That’s exactly the problem and why I hesitated to make the suggestion. I frankly think some sort of redesign is in order. It’s now too difficult for mods to access the member page, snd the profile really just consists of an annoying (I’d like  to say infuriating) obstacle.

On Apr 24, 2021, at 4:38 PM, Duane <txpigeon@...> wrote:

On Sat, Apr 24, 2021 at 06:19 PM, J_Catlady wrote:
It would be orders of magnitude more convenient if clicking on that link took a mod to the user's member page instead of the (generally, or at least relatively, useless) profile page.
But then it wouldn't work for regular members unless the group is set to allow them to see the Member List.  I wouldn't want it to work differently depending on the "clicker's" status (consistency is good.)

I'm *pretty certain* I support a change of this kind. My hesitance is because of my being unsure of the definitions of the specific terms being used. I'll explain by example.

If someone posts a message and I want to change something related to this person's membership, such as moderation restrictions, it's silly to have to go through all these steps to be able to put a member on moderation or even take them off moderation. It seems like it would be intuitive to be able to click on the person's name and go to their membership page to change their abilities or to change their display name. When I'm searching for a person, it's not to find out what they've posted in the past. And for a group that may not have a membership list visible to members it's even more useless. I use message search for that.

Dano.

Exactly. It’s intuitive to click on the display name snd go to the membership page. Not to the dead-end of a (useless) profile snd then hand to go back and start over.

The reason I reject Christos’s solution to this problem - snd it IS an ongoing problem IMHO - is that mods should not be able to edit a member’s *profile*.

There really, really should be a fast snd efficient way to get not just to the member page but to all the member’s posts (a related current PITA). After six years of running a group here, these two hassles continue to hound snd confound me in nearly a daily basis. They should be fixed. Since the fix does not appear simple, at least that I can see, I believe a redesign is in order.

On Apr 24, 2021, at 9:37 PM, D R Stinson <dano@mt.net> wrote:

I'm *pretty certain* I support a change of this kind. My hesitance is because of my being unsure of the definitions of the specific terms being used. I'll explain by example.

If someone posts a message and I want to change something related to this person's membership, such as moderation restrictions, it's silly to have to go through all these steps to be able to put a member on moderation or even take them off moderation. It seems like it would be intuitive to be able to click on the person's name and go to their membership page to change their abilities or to change their display name. When I'm searching for a person, it's not to find out what they've posted in the past. And for a group that may not have a membership list visible to members it's even more useless. I use message search for that.

Dano.

Bruce Bowman

On Sun, Apr 25, 2021 at 02:07 AM, J_Catlady wrote:
There really, really should be a fast snd efficient way to get not just to the member page but to all the member’s posts (a related current PITA).
Both are available via the More menu. Perhaps a little inconvenient, but I have to stop short of "terrible PITA."

At this point I'm unclear on what the suggestion actually is.

Regards,
Bruce

Duane

On Sun, Apr 25, 2021 at 01:07 AM, J_Catlady wrote:
There really, really should be a fast snd efficient way to get not just to the member page but to all the member’s posts (a related current PITA).
I believe the least disruptive option would be to have a "Member Page" link visible on the profile page for those that have permission, maybe just below the "All Messages By This Member" link.  This would be consistent with the options seen in the More menu, so apparently the coding is already in use.  Yes, it's another click, but I don't think Mark will ever be able to have all the options in every location that someone might be in when they decide to access another function.  Even if he could, it would be terribly cluttered.

Duane

On Sun, Apr 25, 2021 at 04:22 AM, Bruce Bowman wrote:
I have to stop short of "terrible PITA."
I call it that. And I call it that in large part because you are constantly faced with the dead-end, misleading link of the display name.

On Sun, Apr 25, 2021 at 04:50 AM, Duane wrote:
e the least disruptive option would be to have a "Member Page" link visible on the profile page for those that have permission
I could get behind that. It would be a huge improvement on the current situation.

On Sun, Apr 25, 2021 at 04:50 AM, Duane wrote:
have a "Member Page" link visible on the profile page for those that have permission
That would be similar in function to Christos's original suggestion, although not in format, and is better because it doesn't imply editing of the profile itself.

Both are available via the More menu. Perhaps a little inconvenient, but I have to stop short of "terrible PITA."
I have to admit, I never 'fell over' the "More" menu at the bottom. To my mind, it's in the wrong place. If "Mute this topic" is in the top buttons, other things an owner or moderator needs to do should be next to it. Putting it next to "Like" downplays it's importance.

I run into this most when I'm on the individual message page. One simple option for me, on the individual member page, would be to move the "More" button to the top of the message page next to "Mute this topic". Then when I need to do something related to regulating the topic or the sender would all be in the same place.

In thread view, could there be an option window for owners that only appears when they click on the member name to select either member history of the member page?

Just a thought.

Dano

Duane

On Sun, Apr 25, 2021 at 05:20 PM, D R Stinson wrote:
To my mind, it's in the wrong place. If "Mute this topic" is in the top buttons, other things an owner or moderator needs to do should be next to it.
The problem I can see with that is the button could bounce between top and bottom, depending on whether you're in Message or Topic view.  Having it below each message allows you some control based on the person that posted it.

Duane

>>> That would be similar in function to Christos's original suggestion, although not in format, and is better because it doesn't imply editing of the profile itself.

J, I think you misunderstood; read the OP message again, the profile editing button behavior/functionality would not change, it will stay as is (only shown for the account owner); only the button strip behavior would be tweaked, so it also shows if the users is an admin, see attached.

Cheers,
Christos

On Sun, Apr 25, 2021 at 03:56 PM, Christos G. Psarras wrote:
J, I think you misunderstood;
Maybe so. I have a hard time with hypothetical screen shots (really hate them), but if I'm interpreting correctly, including not just the screen shot but the text of your OP, you would make it look like mods have editing power over a member's profile. And I don't think mods should be able to edit a member's profile. Just their member page.

On Sun, Apr 25, 2021 at 07:18 PM, J_Catlady wrote:
And I don't think mods should be able to edit a member's profile. Just their member page.
Definitely; all I'm suggesting is to add a shortcut from the profile to the edit-membership page.  Since the "Membership/GroupProfile+MemberIntegrations+EmailDeliveryHistory" button strip and code is already there, with one extra IF it will provide that shortcut for the admins.

Cheers,
Christos

On Sun, Apr 25, 2021 at 04:23 PM, Christos G. Psarras wrote:
Definitely; all I'm suggesting is to add a shortcut from the profile to the edit-membership page
As I said before, Duane's suggestion  of adding that link to the member page is identical to yours in functionality, but yours LOOKS like the mod has editing capability over the profile, which is not what it really does nor should it.

Another alternative suggestion for the solution (but a few more lines of code more than the original suggestion), is to leave the button strip alone as it works now, and instead introduce a new button next to the "Email" button, shown for Admins only, see attached.

Cheers,
Christos