moderated Logged in as someone else #bug

Mike Hanauer

Hats of to you, Mark.

Amazing detective work!

Consider Better, not Bigger. So many advantages. Just ask. USA adds a Chicago to our overpop each year.
"Still more population growth is not our way to a healthy community, a healthy planet, OR enjoyable cycling."

    ~Mike

On Friday, April 23, 2021, 04:21:15 PM EDT, Mark Fletcher <markf@corp.groups.io> wrote:

This is strange. Here's what happened. You both belong to a list. That person's account started bouncing yesterday. We sent them an email with a link to unbounce their account. They sent a message to your common group, with the subject line 'Welcome to Groups.io', that contained the unbounce link. Note that the email we sent them with the link has the subject line 'Your Groups.io Account Is Bouncing'. You must have either clicked on the link or perhaps run some anti-virus software that followed the link automatically, causing you to be logged in as them.

I have changed the behavior of that link so that it no longer logs you in as the person being unbounced.

This is strange. Here's what happened. You both belong to a list. That person's account started bouncing yesterday. We sent them an email with a link to unbounce their account. They sent a message to your common group, with the subject line 'Welcome to Groups.io', that contained the unbounce link. Note that the email we sent them with the link has the subject line 'Your Groups.io Account Is Bouncing'. You must have either clicked on the link or perhaps run some anti-virus software that followed the link automatically, causing you to be logged in as them.

I have changed the behavior of that link so that it no longer logs you in as the person being unbounced.

Mike Hanauer

I don't believe so, Mark. It was not someone I even know, although I knew the name/email from his posting in a group I am a member of so I perhaps have read his emails. Weird.

Consider Better, not Bigger. So many advantages. Just ask. USA adds a Chicago to our overpop each year.
"Still more population growth is not our way to a healthy community, a healthy planet, OR enjoyable cycling."

    ~Mike

On Friday, April 23, 2021, 03:52:22 PM EDT, Mark Fletcher <markf@corp.groups.io> wrote:

On Fri, Apr 23, 2021 at 12:49 PM Mike Hanauer via groups.io <MGHanauer=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:

I'm still having difficulty believing this could happen.

This morning I brought up groups.io and noticed that I was logged in as someone else - someone who is in a group that I am a member of.
I removed the groups.io cookie, and things went back to normal.

Can you remember what you were doing yesterday? Did someone forward to you their login link email? Or an invite email?

On Fri, Apr 23, 2021 at 12:49 PM Mike Hanauer via groups.io <MGHanauer=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:

I'm still having difficulty believing this could happen.

This morning I brought up groups.io and noticed that I was logged in as someone else - someone who is in a group that I am a member of.
I removed the groups.io cookie, and things went back to normal.

Can you remember what you were doing yesterday? Did someone forward to you their login link email? Or an invite email?

Mike Hanauer

I'm still having difficulty believing this could happen.

This morning I brought up groups.io and noticed that I was logged in as someone else - someone who is in a group that I am a member of.
I removed the groups.io cookie, and things went back to normal.

Nobody has been on my computer but me.  I think a groups.io cookie got deposited or altered on my computer with someone else's identity.

I'm on Chrome on Windows 10. Really, I was not dreaming.