moderated Removing Answers from Multiple Choice Poll Changes Answers #bug

Joanie

Here's how you replicate the problem

  1. Create a Multiple choice poll with 4 choices (choice 1, choice 2,  choice 3 and choice 4) and set the "multiple choices" option and save the poll.
  2. View the Poll in Messages or through the email message sent to you
  3. Select choices 2 and 4 and press Vote
  4. Click "Back to Vote" to see your votes (choices 2 and 4 are selected)
  5. Click the "More" option on the poll message and select "Edit Poll"
  6. Remove choice 2 by clicking the X to the right of choice 2 and click "Update Poll"
  7. View the Poll in Messages or through the email message sent to you
  8. Note that you now see choice 1, choice 3 and choice 4 which is correct
    1. only choice 3 is selected and 4 has been unselected.
    2. I would expect to see only choice 4 selected.
It appears the choices are saved without regard to the choice label or text.

Malcolm Austen

It seems to me that there is a simple(?) answer to this - it should not be possible to edit a poll once polling has begun!

Malcolm.

On Wed, 21 Apr 2021 05:18:08 +0100, Joanie <joanie.m.nightingale@...> wrote:

[...]

I would like to be able to edit the multiple choice poll after it starts so that I can add more items or remove items. I decided to use the poll object to manage RSVPs to a multiple activity event so people don't have to reply to each calendar item separately and they can also change their RSVPs (votes) at any time. So the poll object has a selection for each activity (golf, lunch, mani/pedi, dinner party, .....) My most current event spans 4 days with about a 12 activities and some activities are yet to be planned or might change due to weather for outdoor activities. I would like to create the poll now with the events that are currently planned so people can start letting me know which ones they will attend. As other activities are planned then I'll add more items to the poll, or if one gets cancelled then I'll remove it.

I guess I could work around it by putting the text "(cancelled)" next to the activity name and maybe I'll do that for now. That way the number of items in the list does not get reduced. I will also have to make sure I don't change the order of the items. I'm assuming that could be an issue as well.

Joanie

Bruce Bowman

On Wed, Apr 21, 2021 at 01:25 PM, Joanie wrote:
I would like to be able to edit the multiple choice poll after it starts so that I can add more items or remove items.
Joanie -- The GIO polling function is fairly rudimentary and you're definitely working outside of its design parameters.

Also keep in mind that people do have to log in to respond. Many of my members struggle with this, which means I can't really count on the results being very meaningful.

For applications such as this, we've had better luck with Google Forms.

Regards,
Bruce

Joanie

Bruce,

Thanks for the heads up with google forms. I'll give that a try if the poll doesn't work out.

I just wanted to report that I was able to edit my RSVP poll for my next event to add two new activities and marked one activity as cancelled. The votes remained unchanged and the two new entries were added without incident. So just don't delete any selections and you'll be OK. My folks are pretty groups.io savvy so they are able to use the poll function without too much trouble.

Joanie