moderated Meaning of "Rejected Message" #suggestion

Andy,

I want to follow up again, about one thing here.

When a non-member sends a message to a group where only members can post, the return message says:

Message not delivered
Your message couldn't be delivered to
GroupName@groups.io because the remote server is
misconfigured. See technical details below for more
information.

How is that helpful?

It is extremely unhelpful, but you can thank Gmail for that banner of misinformation.

If you scroll down and read the fine print at the bottom, there it does say you are not subscribed.

That's the actual response given by Groups.io when Gmail attempted that message delivery.

But why does something (Google?) insert that other, large, unhelpful message?  Can anything be done to eliminate the "misconfigured" part?

I'm sure Mark wishes he knew answers to those questions. In particular if there's some other response code that would give a more sensible answer, or if Gmail is reading the response text for some keyword. I may be giving Gmail too much credit, they might be just ham-handed about these things.

As a Gmail user myself I've wondered about some of their recent, more "panicky" reactions to various email situations.

Shal

Peter Cook

There are other circumstances - such as when a member sends a message with an invalid hashtag - where the same thing happens. And since it's the first thing people see, many times they don't scroll down to find the actual reason. So they email me thinking something's wrong with the server.

I'm hoping this can be fixed so both the reason AND the action a sender needs to take are more clear.

Pete

Andy

I want to follow up again, about one thing here.

When a non-member sends a message to a group where only members can post, the return message says:

Message not delivered
Your message couldn't be delivered to
GroupName@groups.io because the remote server is
misconfigured. See technical details below for more
information.

How is that helpful?

If you scroll down and read the fine print at the bottom, there it does say you are not subscribed.  But why does something (Google?) insert that other, large, unhelpful message?  Can anything be done to eliminate the "misconfigured" part?

(This was from messages posted via email, from Gmail.)

Andy

Andy Wedge

On Wed, Apr 14, 2021 at 02:20 PM, Andy wrote:
Nit:  I don't know what " select a Rejected Message notice as the initial text" means.
When you reject a message via the website, the rejected message dialog box has a dropdown field where you can select one of the pre-defined Rejected Message member notices as a template for your rejection message.

Andy

Andy

OK.  So the "Rejected Message" message is sent ONLY when a Moderator manually rejects a message.  Not what I thought.  Thanks.

Nit:  I don't know what " select a Rejected Message notice as the initial text" means.  I don't see that.  Not that it matters.

Andy

Andy Wedge

On Wed, Apr 14, 2021 at 05:14 AM, Andy wrote:
I thought it meant that it is sent whenever an incoming message was rejected.  But not, apparently.
The Owner's Manual describes the circumstances when a Rejected Message notice is sent quite clearly.

Andy

Andy

In group Settings, there are a handful of Member Notices that Moderators can create.  There is a Welcome message that I think all groups get by default.  Another one is "Rejected Message", which is said to be the "Message sent when a message is rejected".

What does that mean?

I thought it meant that it is sent whenever an incoming message was rejected.  But not, apparently.

Most rejected messages are ones sent by unsubscribed addresses.  When someone sends a message that is rejected for that reason, they do not receive one of those "Rejected Messages".  Instead, they receive a cryptic reply (which for me implies that Groups.io is "misconfigured", until I read further down).  Everything that I wrote in the "Rejected Message" message is apparently of no use because that message is not sent.

Is the problem that Groups.io fails to send that message when an incoming message was rejected?

Or is that message used only in a subset of cases -- and if so, should the name or its description be changed to reflect the more restricted usage?

Thanks,
Andy