moderated Log member change of display name when done in the account #suggestion

So unless your member's display name had already been changed in the group, the situation doesn't apply.

I'm wondering whether the bug involves who did the original change, a mod or the member. In the bug I am reporting, it was a mod (me) who originally changed the member's display name in the group - not the member herself. So maybe the exception needs to take into account both cases.

On Mon, Apr 12, 2021 at 12:30 PM, Chris Jones wrote:
a Display Name changed from the Account page (as opposed to from within a specific group) is recorded in the Activity log of the group in question.
The bug is that is that IF the display name has already been changed in the group (not sure whether it had been in your test), an account display name change, as Duane has pointed out, should not even take place in a group.

And in my group, both (a) the change did take place, and (b) was NOT logged in the group.

Chris Jones

On Mon, Apr 12, 2021 at 03:46 PM, J_Catlady wrote:
Currently, display name changes by a member are logged when done in the context of a group. But when done in the account (i.e., not within a specific group), the change is not logged.
I tested this earlier this evening, and found that a Display Name changed from the Account page (as opposed to from within a specific group) is recorded in the Activity log of the group in question.

Chris

Does seem like a bug, then. Because it’s definitely changing in the group. I’m starting to remember the past conversation about this and the request for the exception. But looks like it’s not working in this case. Thanks for dredging that up.

On Apr 12, 2021, at 11:41 AM, Duane <txpigeon@...> wrote:

On Mon, Apr 12, 2021 at 10:09 AM, J_Catlady wrote:
Both  an account display-name change and and individual group display-name change would be logged.
I think there may be a bug involved as well.  At the top of the Identity page, it says "Changes made to your account profile will automatically apply to each group profile, with the exception of those specific fields in each group profile that you've previously customized."  By that, I wouldn't expect the name on a group to change if it was already different from the account name.  I don't know if this would apply where the group mod/owner had changed it though, as in your case to comply with policy.

On Mon, Apr 12, 2021 at 10:09 AM, J_Catlady wrote:
Both  an account display-name change and and individual group display-name change would be logged.
I think there may be a bug involved as well.  At the top of the Identity page, it says "Changes made to your account profile will automatically apply to each group profile, with the exception of those specific fields in each group profile that you've previously customized."  By that, I wouldn't expect the name on a group to change if it was already different from the account name.  I don't know if this would apply where the group mod/owner had changed it though, as in your case to comply with policy.

Duane

...finishing sentence: “when looking in the group activity log and finding *other* actions by the new (and as yet unknown) display name.”

On Apr 12, 2021, at 8:09 AM, J_Catlady via groups.io <j.olivia.catlady@...> wrote:

Easy peasy. Both  an account display-name change and and individual group display-name change would be logged. Currently only the latter are logged. That’s the problem. If the member’s account display-name changed were also logged, it wouldn’t leave group mods in the dark and left to find out the change by accident when looking in the group activity log.

On Apr 12, 2021, at 7:57 AM, Duane <txpigeon@...> wrote:

On Mon, Apr 12, 2021 at 09:46 AM, J_Catlady wrote:
by seeing some other action the member did in the group activity log and noticing that suddenly their name is out of synch with our policy
Since a person can have a different Display Name for each group, in addition to the one for the account, how would you know what to log?  Maybe if the change in account name resulted in a name change on the group there could be a way to keep track, but it sounds complicated to me.

[...]

Currently, display name changes by a member are logged when done in the context of a group. But when done in the account (i.e., not within a specific group), the change is not logged. I often come across a name change accidentally, by seeing some other action the member did in the group activity log and noticing that suddenly their name is out of synch with our policy, and there is no log entry to reflect the change. We find it accidentally, look in vain for the display name change log entry, and then change it back. Can this change be logged in all the members' groups?