Messages with Attachments rejected and lost for good #suggestion

Andy

When someone composes a message in the Groups.io web interface and tries to send it to a group that doesn't allow attachments, the message is rejected.  It's gone for good.  All their work writing that message is lost and gone forever.  So I am suggesting two things:

(1)  Can Groups.io warn the user when they try to attach something to a message they are writing, in groups that don't allow attachments?

Or,

(2)  When you click "Send" and Groups.io rejects a message because of the attachment, can it leave the edited message in Drafts, so that the sender can go back and fix it before re-submitting it?

Thanks,

Andy

Duane

On Thu, Apr 8, 2021 at 07:09 PM, Andy wrote:
When someone composes a message in the Groups.io web interface and tries to send it to a group that doesn't allow attachments, the message is rejected.
There are 4 options that can be set for attachments in the Settings > Message Formatting panel - Allow, Bounce, Strip, Moderate.  What happens depends on what the group owner has chosen.  Allow would post the message (or add it to the pending queue if the member is moderated).  Bounce should bounce the message back to the posters email address with the explanation and include the original message as an attachment.  Strip is the same as Allow, but the attachment would be removed.  Moderate would send any message with an attachment to the queue.  I don't see any way it could be gone forever.

Duane

Andy

Duane wrote, "Bounce should bounce the message back to the posters email address with the explanation and include the original message as an attachment."

That is not what happens.  When "sending" the message from the Groups.io web interface (which is the only thing I'm talking about), the message is simply rejected.  It's not mailed by Groups.io to the sender.  (That is to say, it did not do that when I experimented with it.)

I am not looking for a way to change the group's Attachments setting.  I'm also not talking about messages sent to a group via email.  I just want a way for Groups.io to not throw out the message (sent from the web interface), so that the sender's work isn't lost.

Andy

Duane

On Thu, Apr 8, 2021 at 07:41 PM, Andy wrote:
When "sending" the message from the Groups.io web interface (which is the only thing I'm talking about), the message is simply rejected.  It's not mailed by Groups.io to the sender.
I just did some testing.  If the group is set to Bounce or Strip for attachments, there's no way to add one when composing online - there's no paperclip - so it can't be rejected.  You must be seeing something else.

Duane

Andy

Duane,

FYI, that is exactly what I see, now, too.  I can't figure out how to attach anything, in the group with attachments not allowed.  Maybe it's already something that got changed?

But now I am wondering now, how does someone attempt to send a message with an attachment, from the web interface?  In the Activity log, I have recent entries like this:

    <person> attempted to send message "<subject line>" with attachments via web

There are three of those within the last six hours.  (I am puzzled why it is possible for that to happen, because I can't get an attachment into a message at the web interface.  There must be a trick that I'm missing.  But I digress.)

The real problem I am trying to address, is how to prevent those messages from being deleted, in such a way that the sender can't fix it and try again.  Somehow, people are still able to compose a message with an attachment, from the web interface, and then their message gets rejected, and Groups.io gives them no way to back up and remove the attachment before it's too late.

But thank you, Duane, for your help.

Andy