Topics

New member list filters not working depending upon Mod permissions #bug

Andy Wedge

Hi Mark,

one of my subgroup Mods reported that he could not Apply the filters he had checked as the Apply button was inactive. After testing and some discussion on GMF I've found that it's down to his combination of Mod permissions. he has the following:

  • View Member List
  • Approve Pending Members
  • Remove Members

If he can view the member list, it seems logical that he should be able to filter it.

Regards
Andy

Chris Jones

On Thu, Apr 8, 2021 at 04:13 PM, Andy Wedge wrote:
one of my subgroup Mods reported that he could not Apply the filters he had checked as the Apply button was inactive.
Mark; I have been investigating this on a test group and at the moment it seems that for the filter to work (i.e. activate the "Apply" button) two permissions need to be set:

(a) Set Moderator Privileges, and
(b) Approve Pending members.

If he can view the member list, it seems logical that he should be able to filter it.
Not entirely true, as ordinary members may be allowed to view the list as well. There does need to be something else present to limit the use of the filter to moderators!

Chris

On Thu, Apr 8, 2021 at 8:13 AM Andy Wedge <andy_wedge@...> wrote:

one of my subgroup Mods reported that he could not Apply the filters he had checked as the Apply button was inactive. After testing and some discussion on GMF I've found that it's down to his combination of Mod permissions. he has the following:

This should be fixed now.

Andy Wedge

On Thu, Apr 8, 2021 at 05:00 PM, Mark Fletcher wrote:

This should be fixed now.
Excellent. Another quick fix.

Thanks
Andy

Chris Jones

On Thu, Apr 8, 2021 at 05:00 PM, Mark Fletcher wrote:
This should be fixed now.
Well it's certainly changed! A further check has revelaed that Approve Pending Members no longer seems to be required.

Fixed as in..? What is now the "critical" setting for someone to have the membership filter working correctly?

Chris

Bruce Bowman

On Thu, Apr 8, 2021 at 12:08 PM, Chris Jones wrote:
What is now the "critical" setting for someone to have the membership filter working correctly?
Seems to me it should be this:
  • You have to be a Moderator (or Owner), and
  • At least one permission that allows you to view the Member List (i.e.: one of the last 6 listed under Moderator Permissions).
My $0.02,
Bruce

Andy Wedge

On Thu, Apr 8, 2021 at 05:11 PM, Bruce Bowman wrote:
Seems to me it should be this:
  • You have to be a Moderator (or Owner), and
If the group setting allows members to see the member list, the filter also works.  I'm not sure why the requirement to be an owner or Mod needs to be there.

Andy

On Thu, Apr 8, 2021 at 9:08 AM Chris Jones via groups.io <chrisjones12=btinternet.com@groups.io> wrote:
On Thu, Apr 8, 2021 at 05:00 PM, Mark Fletcher wrote:
This should be fixed now.
Well it's certainly changed! A further check has revelaed that Approve Pending Members no longer seems to be required.

If you don't have that permission, the Pending Approval checkbox does not appear in the list.

If you don't have the Manage Member Subscriptions permission, the Bouncing checkbox does not appear.

If you don't have the Manage Member Subscriptions permission and you don't have the Ban Members permission, the Banned checkbox doesn't appear.

These correspond to the behavior before the filter change.

Chris Jones

On Thu, Apr 8, 2021 at 05:13 PM, Andy Wedge wrote:
I'm not sure why the requirement to be an owner or Mod needs to be there.
I'm not certain that the "wider membership" should be able to see who is banned, or who on a mainly moderated group can see those who are not moderated. Or those who "cannot post".  Or whc cannot start a topic without being moderated. And so on...

Chrsi

Andy Wedge

On Thu, Apr 8, 2021 at 05:26 PM, Chris Jones wrote:
I'm not certain that the "wider membership" should be able to see who is banned, or who on a mainly moderated group can see those who are not moderated. Or those who "cannot post".  Or whc cannot start a topic without being moderated. And so on...
If you don't want the 'wider membership' to be able to see that information then surely you wouldn't give them access to the list that shows it.

Andy