moderated #suggestion Implement threaded view like Yahoo groups used to have before 'neo'. #suggestion

I wrote:

Long ago Mark said he didn't care for indented presentations like that, but there are other ways to convey the same information.

The simplest method I can think of would be to add an "In Reply To" link just below the message's date and permalink:

To avoid clutter omit it on messages that are in reply to the immediately preceding message (chronologically, no matter which way the display order is flipped). And obviously omit it for topic starters and for those messages where the linkage is unknown (neither "In-Reply-To" nor "References" fields are present).

The permalink URLs are "message" URLs that open that one message (as they should), but the In Reply To link is a topic function, so its URL should be of the message in topic type:
https://beta.groups.io/g/main/topic/81761410#28905

It is a bit different in the mobile interface as the message numbers aren't shown. So I suppose some type of icon is needed as the link, but I'm not convinced that the up pointing triangle is the best answer (especially when the display order is reversed):

While this is nowhere near as slick as an implementation that presents the linkage visually, it should be easy to implement and use, and does not require a new viewing mode. It also has the advantage of having no visual impact at all in the common case of in-order replies.

Shal

KWKloeber

>>YSWT<<

Dano

That wasn't supposed to be an anacronym,  It was to be a reply to "YSWT"  DUH!
Boy, I wish I could Edited that and Saved w/o Sending LOL!!!

I would bet that in the hierarchical view, very few responding would actually put the message in the spot in which it belongs.  (I'd bet a milkshake) there's as much chance of it occurring as from the same folks who won't bottom-quote so that their context is clear.

Still, if members want to see it as an optional feature no harm, no foul.

-Ken

YSWT wrote:

Implement threaded view like Yahoo groups used to have before 'neo'.
For example:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/shalf/10130294473/in/album-72157636272401705/

Sort of a combination of the single message view:
https://beta.groups.io/g/main/message/28905
With a messages list below, restricted to the topic, and indented hierarchically to show which message replied to which.

Long ago Mark said he didn't care for indented presentations like that, but there are other ways to convey the same information. The key is that when someone posts ambiguously ("I agree") one can see at a glance which message they agree with - which may not be the most recent message if the topic is busy.
https://beta.groups.io/g/main/topic/9671

Shal

> YBWT
>
> I don’t recall that-
> was it a hierarchical view, showed precisely which message a reply as to, not just chronologically slapped on the list?
> would be a valuable feature as an available (not forced” view.

I absolutely believe that acronyms are our modern 'Tower of Babel'.

My experience is that most replies are simply posted after the last message, regardless of whoever sparked their comments. This is not true for all groups I'm sure, but I would guess the majority of  typical groups threads were created this way.

Of course, YMMV.

Dano

KWKloeber

YBWT

I don’t recall that-
was it a hierarchical view, showed precisely which message a reply as to, not just chronologically slapped on the list?
would be a valuable feature as an available (not forced” view.

Have you opened your group web page under "Topic" view and clicked on a thread to open it? That sounds like what you're looking for.

Dano

> Implement threaded view like Yahoo groups used to have before 'neo'.
>
> That would be my dream....

YSWT