From: "Duane" <txpigeon@gmail.com>
Sent: Thursday, June 11, 2015 3:11 PM
To: <beta@groups.io>
Subject: [beta] Delete account?

I don't have any plans to leave for 15 or 20 years, but after a question on GMF, I got to wondering how a person would delete their account. Seems like there should be a button on the Login or Profile page. With lots of verification, of course.

Duane

What would it even mean to delete an account here?

I'm assuming all your messages would stay. If you ever created a new account with the same email, you'd own them once again.

If you're blocked from entering a group, I'm assuming the ban should stay, to prevent people from getting around them by deleting and recreating their accounts.

Just setting every group to No Mail and then never logging on again pretty much has the same effect.

JohnF

JohnF,

What would it even mean to delete an account here?
It would presumably discard your photo, display name, and other Profile and preference information.

It could unsubscribe you from all groups. But that may not be a good idea.

I'm assuming all your messages would stay.
I do too.

If you ever created a new account with the same email, you'd own them
once again.
That's more subtle.

In Yahoo Groups you don't, unless you use the Membership Wizard to transfer your old memberships to your new account. Otherwise your new account joins groups as a new member. There is some unique identifier (in the database, invisible to mods and members) for each membership which is neither the email address nor the account ID.

Simply having the same email address later might not be a good proxy for being the same person - Yahoo mail and some ISPs have been known to re-issue abandoned or deleted email addresses. So it isn't clear that Groups.io should automatically take a future use of an email address to grant ownership of content (in the long run).

-- Shal

On Thu, Jun 11, 2015 at 7:12 PM, Shal Farley <shal@...> wrote:

> What would it even mean to delete an account here?

It would presumably discard your photo, display name, and other Profile and preference information.

It could unsubscribe you from all groups. But that may not be a good idea.

> I'm assuming all your messages would stay.

I do too.

> If you ever created a new account with the same email, you'd own them
> once again.

That's more subtle.

The way the system is built is that every object in the system (user, group, message, subscription etc) has a unique numerical id. So my user id is 2 (I think). If you delete the user object, you lose the mapping from email address to that user id, and would not be able to "remap" old messages at a later time if you re-registered with the same email address.

A bigger issue with the system as it currently is, is with banned users. A banned user is just a special flag on a subscription record. Which ties to the user through the id. Delete the user, and their subscriptions are deleted as well. So as things are, deleting your account and then reregistering is a way to get around being banned. This is a solvable problem, of course, but it would take work to rearchitect things.

I can always disable someone's account. Which means they are inactive, but all the records stay in the system.

Mark

Nightowl >8#

Mark wrote:>> So as things are, deleting your account and then reregistering is a way to get around being banned. This is a solvable problem, of course, but it would take work to rearchitect things.<<

This brings me to an important question.

What is your policy on multiple accounts for the same person? I think they should be allowed as long as you are not hiding your identity or pretending to be someone else to harrass someone.

Example of this need:
On my Yahoo Group MM, I had featheredleader in as owner/moderator, and then I had myself in as Owlsy as a backup owner/moderator in case anything went wrong with featheredleader.

Would that be allowable in here?

And could we somehow include in the rules or group guidelines that making multiple accounts for the purpose of hurting or harassing people is not ok?

Thanks

Brenda

On 6/11/2015 9:16 PM, Feathered Leader wrote:
rules or group guidelines that making multiple accounts for the purpose of hurting or harassing people is not ok?
Now *that* is one that I can see as a groups.io rule.

dg

dg,

Feathered Leader wrote:
rules or group guidelines that making multiple accounts for the purpose
of hurting or harassing people is not ok?
Now *that* is one that I can see as a groups.io rule.
It is already not ok to hurt or harass people, regardless of how you do it (with or without multiple accounts). See item 1(vi) and (vii) in the User Conduct portion of the Terms of Service.
https://groups.io/static/tos

-- Shal