moderated Hide Locked topics #suggestion

George

As it currently stands, you'll need to complain to the group owner(s) to try to get them to reduce the number.
I'd also recommend having a look at the stickies, it could be that they all or some of them be combined so the number of them gets reduced, and if yes, suggest that to the admins when you contact them.

Cheers,
Christos

Dave Sergeant

Indeed Chris, I can't recall ever seeing a sticky topic in any of the
groups I am subscribed to. But only normally read posts via email, only
visit the web interface to do admin tasks or attachments stored as
links.

Dave

On 18 Mar 2021 at 6:27, Chris Jones via groups.io wrote:

The silly thing is that (mainly anecdotal?) evidence is that most
Groups.io subscribers rely on reading and posting by email rather than
using the web UI, and thus never or only rarely see the sticky topics
anyway.

http://davesergeant.com

Duane

On Wed, Mar 17, 2021 at 02:29 PM, WB5JJJ - George wrote:
In a couple of groups I frequent, the admins have Locked and Pinned so many topics that it is becoming a bit overwhelming.
There was a discussion 4 years ago about limiting the number of stickies that you may want to check out, https://beta.groups.io/g/main/topic/4415612.  Because there are some groups, like the ones you mentioned, that use many, no limit was enacted.  As it currently stands, you'll need to complain to the group owner(s) to try to get them to reduce the number.

Duane

Chris Jones

On Wed, Mar 17, 2021 at 07:29 PM, WB5JJJ - George wrote:
In a couple of groups I frequent, the admins have Locked and Pinned so many topics that it is becoming a bit overwhelming.
The silly thing is that (mainly anecdotal?) evidence is that most Groups.io subscribers rely on reading and posting by email rather than using the web UI, and thus never or only rarely see the sticky topics anyway.

On top of that another sure - fire way of ensuring that members ignore them is to have too many of them in the first place; it's self - defeating.

Chris

I agree that some owners create "too many" stickies (I do try to keep them to a only a few in my group), but I think giving members the option to hide stickies would only defeat thei purpose of the sticky, which is for the moderators to bring topics to the immediate attention attention of group members. I would not be opposed to having a separate section for stickies, but I think some group owners might complain about that.

Hiding locked topics is not really an issue since they don't stay at the top unless pinned.

WB5JJJ - George <wb5jjj@...>

In a couple of groups I frequent, the admins have Locked and Pinned so many topics that it is becoming a bit overwhelming.

I use a larger text font (150%) than most folks and that eliminated the "menu" on the left side (OK), but it puts a very LARGE menu-type dialog at the bottom of the page in its place.  Typically, I have to scroll down a bunch to get past all the clutter at the top in order to get to a current topic.

It seems that some owners of these groups just lock and pin everything, and that causes problems.  Many of them were/are relevant, informative and of interest ONCE, but not every time I visit the page.  So, I would like to suggest that users be given the ability to HIDE any locked or pinned topic so I would not be occupying real estate that could be used for new topics.  Of course, one might want to unhide a topic, so some sort of mechanics to do this would also be necessary.

George