moderated Email System Reporting Groups.io as Potential Spam #bug

On Mon, Mar 15, 2021 at 4:00 PM Sam M Cohen <samc@...> wrote:
When sending a message to one of my groups, I "receive" the message as a group member, with the shown security warning:

According to the email service, the Groups.IO service seems to be sending as the @ieee.org email address.  Since this is an external service, the receiving email system can not verify that @groups.io is authorized to send on behalf of IEEE.  This is why the message is flagged.

I have set it so that messages from ieee.org addresses back to themselves will have the From line re-written. This should fix the problem.

On Mon, Mar 15, 2021 at 05:59 PM, Sam M Cohen wrote:
Can anything be done to eliminate this issue?
It looks like ieee.org uses gmail as the underlying service.  Mark will need to add it to the list of sites using it so that the From: line is rewritten to remove the warning.  See https://groups.io/helpcenter/faq/1/group-member-faq/q-why-do-i-get-a-spoofing  I'm a little surprised this hasn't come up before with ieee.org addresses.

Duane

This was an issue awhile back - see
https://beta.groups.io/g/main/topic/30003684#20044

Derek Milliner

Sam,

I would have a close look at the whole message details (i.e. including all of the headers from the message). Groups.io will not have claimed to be sending "on behalf of IEEE" but your @ieee.org address will have turned up in the headers. It's entirely possible that either the mail servers or (more likely) your mail client are mis-interpreting part of the header trail, in particular the "From:" header, giving the response you've posted. Sometimes it's as simple as the mail client saying in effect "I can't quite figure this, over to you".

In general terms, if you're confident that a message is genuine, clicking the "Looks safe" / "Not Spam" / <whatever option depending upon you mail client> should tell the mail system to trust the sender, which should stop the warning. Inevitably varies from system to system, though.

Sam M Cohen