moderated Weird message title in group activity log #bug

On Tue, Mar 9, 2021 at 6:22 PM J_Catlady <j.olivia.catlady@...> wrote:
The log entry for a recently sent message looks like this:
[name redacted] <[redacted] @hotmail.com> sent message #29269, =?UTF-8?B?UmU6IFtGZWxpbmVfU0NMXSBSdXN0eeKAmXMgc2lkZSBlZmZlY3Rz?= via email

This should be fixed now for all activity log entries.

The emailed one was from hotmail and the web one was from gmail. Pretty sure that the gmail user was on her iphone. I can check.

On Wed, Mar 10, 2021 at 09:30 AM, Dave Sergeant wrote:
But for some reason I
have seen some GIO messages with UTF-8 subject lines.
I see them now and then.  They always seem to originate with phones and Yahoo mail that use base64.  I haven't noticed any others.

Duane

Dave Sergeant

UTF-8 is not supported in email headers, including subject lines, as
everything in the header should be plain text. But for some reason I
have seen some GIO messages with UTF-8 subject lines.

Dave

On 10 Mar 2021 at 6:42, JohnF via groups.io wrote:

On Wed, Mar 10, 2021 at 08:29 AM, J_Catlady wrote:

[name and email address redacted] sent message #29279,
=?UTF-8?B?UmU6IFJ1c3R54oCZcyBzaWRlIGVmZmVjdHM=?= (
It's a base64 encode. If you go to https://www.base64decode.org/ and
put the "UmU6IFJ1c3R54oCZcyBzaWRlIGVmZmVjdHM=" part of that message into
the upper box and hit the DECODE button, it translates to "Re: RustyTMs
side effects".

Chances are it shouldn't be written this way into the Group Activity
Log.

JohnF

http://davesergeant.com

Mark,
Here's a link to my group's activity log, in case you want to check this out:
https://groups.io/g/Feline_Smallcell_Lymphoma/activity
The message numbers are 29273 and 29279.
Thanks.

Just wanted to point out that yesterday's message was via email and today's was via the web. So it's happening from both sources.

On Wed, Mar 10, 2021 at 06:42 AM, JohnF wrote:
Chances are it shouldn't be written this way into the Group Activity Log.
Ya think? ;)

It's a base64 encode. If you go to https://www.base64decode.org/ and put the "UmU6IFJ1c3R54oCZcyBzaWRlIGVmZmVjdHM=" part of that message into the upper box and hit the DECODE button, it translates to "Re: Rusty’s side effects".

Chances are it shouldn't be written this way into the Group Activity Log.

JohnF

Another one this morning, from a different member:
[name and email address redacted] sent message #29279, =?UTF-8?B?UmU6IFJ1c3R54oCZcyBzaWRlIGVmZmVjdHM=?= via web