Topics

moderated How to fix out-of-bounds subscriptions #misc

Hi All,

I will go into the database and fix up subscriptions that have configurations that don't work. But I'm not sure which way to change things. Specifically, this is for subscriptions that are set to No Email or Special Notices Only and have a Message Selection setting not of All Messages.

Right now, these subscriptions are not getting messages from topics/hashtags they follow. And in the case of No Email, they're not getting any messages at all. Should I change their Email Delivery to Individual Messages? Or should I change their Message Selection to All Messages. I can see arguments for both.

On Mon, Mar 8, 2021 at 04:32 PM, Mark Fletcher wrote:
Specifically, this is for subscriptions that are set to No Email or Special Notices Only and have a Message Selection setting not of All Messages.
I can see going both ways as well.  Chances are whichever you do will be 'wrong' for about half the people. ;>)  My choice would be to follow the No Email/Special Notices Only setting to get everything in sync.

Duane

Since you don't know which option they set last (as you do in the context of the recent changes, so that the last one takes precedence), I don't think it matters one way or the other.

On second thought I think going with the FO might be best. If someone starts receiving emails they don't want, they will notice and can easily fix it by going to No Email. But if they are missing emails, they might not even realize it.

On top of that, the problem I experienced was a consequence of the system trying, and failing, to set me to Individual Email after I set myself to FO because I wanted selected emails. I don't know if there are, or were, any screwups in the opposite direction, but I know that kind exists. So I'd be more inclined to err on the side of setting them to FO and Individual Email.

IMO it comes down to the intent of the member, i.e., what they had in mind (or thought was going to happen) when they originally set their settings to FO+... or AFR, regardless of the NoEmail/SpecialNotices delivery selection.  Their "intent", as I interpret it, was that they would receive only messages they manually follow and nothing else (or just SpecialNotices as well).  So if one has [either FO, FO+FF, FO+AFR, or FO+FF+AFR selected] and [NoEmail or SpecialNotices], FO should take precedence IMO which means reset their delivery to Individual Messages, because that would achieve the intent (and end result) of receiving only messages/hashtags they manually follow and nothing else.  It's also consistent with what the (affected) user would get if they themselves went to their subscription screen and clicked on save, even without changing anything, since the code now checks and resets invalid combos.

In other words, I'd personally err on "giving them more than they thought they'd get" instead of "giving them less (or none) than they thought they'd get".  Either way may upset some of those folks, but personally I'd rather have a member be upset/annoyed at me for sending them more email than none at all; they can reset the first scenario because they are aware of it, but they won't know the second one is going on (for a while at least), and judging by the fact that some of us more knowledgeable folks were still fooled, imagine their case.

Another alternative could be to leave things as they are, and send a system email to the affected users only, instructing them to go and check/reset their subscription settings to ensure they are getting what they really meant to get.

Or reset the Message Selection to All Messages and send a system email to the group owners instructing them to let their members know to check/reset their subscription settings to ensure they are getting what they really meant to get.

Cheers,
Christos

I would lean toward No Email as being less problematic. (Someone suddenly getting a lot of traffic unexpectedly when they were getting none, without any action on their part, is going to lead to greater likelihood of labeling the messages as spam.)

However, if you send out a one-time admin message explaining "Your mail options have been reset for the following groups" with instructions on how to fix it if they want the mail, I think that will fix the problem for most users.

JohnF

Drew

"No email" will be far less problematic. People who have opted to limit their incoming email in a high-traffic group will not appreciate suddenly being inundated with dozens of emails and having to change their subscription options to fix it again. It will result in spam labeling and unsubscriptions, plus complaints and help requests to owners.

Drew

On 03/09/21 09:25, JohnF via groups.io wrote:
I would lean toward No Email as being less problematic. (Someone suddenly getting a lot of traffic unexpectedly when they were getting none, without any action on their part, is going to lead to greater likelihood of labeling the messages as spam.)
However, if you send out a one-time admin message explaining "Your mail options have been reset for the following groups" with instructions on how to fix it if they want the mail, I think that will fix the problem for most users.
JohnF

They won’t be inundated unless they follow a whole bunch of topics (including replying to topics, which now implies following). If they’re inactive, they’ll continue to receive nothing at all.

On Mar 9, 2021, at 7:12 AM, Drew <pubx1@af2z.net> wrote:

[...]

And if they do affirmatively click “follow” on some topic, that clearly implies they want those emails. So the only unwanted emails they might receive are from topics they themselves are participating in.

On Mar 9, 2021, at 9:15 AM, J_Catlady via groups.io <j.olivia.catlady=gmail.com@groups.io> wrote:

[...]

My humanity is bound up in yours, for we can only be human together. - Desmond Tutu

Hi All,

I've changed all subscriptions that had an email delivery of `No Email` or `Special Notices Only` and `Message Selection` other than `All` so that `Message Selection` was set to `All`. That seemed to be the path of least surprise, in that it will lead to no change in email delivery behavior.