moderated Make group search sort by whichever criterion the user has highlighted/selected #suggestion

Here's the original thread:
https://beta.groups.io/g/main/message/26867

There were at least two subsequent threads resulting from it, including
https://beta.groups.io/g/main/message/26946

and finally, the one you posted.

Duane,
I remember that last issue (since I brought it up;) and it was a different bug, although somewhat related. Back then, you could not successfully get a sort by a chosen criterion *at all* if you entered a search term. It always reverted to a sort “By Name.” In this bug now (and I do agree that it’s a bug), it does a sort by Newest *first*, and after that you csn select a different sort criterion. The problem now is that it defaults (jumps) to Newest and then you csn pick what you want. Before, it jumped to “By Name” and continued to do that even if you selected a different sort criterion after doing the search. The original bug was much worse.

On Feb 28, 2021, at 6:17 AM, Duane <txpigeon@...> wrote:

On Sat, Feb 27, 2021 at 10:32 PM, J_Catlady wrote:
when you actually do a search it defaults to sorting by Newest every time. This happens no matter which is highlighted at the time of the search.
I think this may actually be a bug that sneaked in.  I may be misremembering, but it seems like this worked correctly when Mark "revamped the groups search page" back in November, https://beta.groups.io/g/main/message/26972

On Sat, Feb 27, 2021 at 10:32 PM, J_Catlady wrote:
when you actually do a search it defaults to sorting by Newest every time. This happens no matter which is highlighted at the time of the search.
I think this may actually be a bug that sneaked in.  I may be misremembering, but it seems like this worked correctly when Mark "revamped the groups search page" back in November, https://beta.groups.io/g/main/message/26972

Duane

Even though on the "Find a Group" page "Most Popular" is at the top left followed by "Most Active," with "Newest" third in the list, when you actually do a search it defaults to sorting by Newest every time. This happens no matter which is highlighted at the time of the search. You can have "Most Active" highlighted, for example, and the search still jumps to and sorts by "Newest." You can get a sort by anything only *after* the search has completed with sort on Newest.

This seems weird, especially since Newest is third in the list. I suggest that the sort order be whatever is highlighted at the time of the search. The default for that is currently the top one, which is Most Popular. But if the user selects something else before doing the search, I see no reason why it should jump back to Newest every time rather than sort by whatever they selected.