moderated Photo Album Ordering #suggestion

Jen Weber

For a while, I thought that a photo view in the "Download" view was what I wanted...a unique URL that never changed when photos were added or deleted from an album, because it contains the name of the photo in it.

But now I see it STILL relies on the placement of the photo in an album.

For example:

https://jtacertificationstudygroup.groups.io/g/JTA.Level3.Study.Group/photo/260708/1/JenW_S10+Eight+Bridges+in+progress+1.jpg?p=Created,,,20,2,0,0
Its still relying that this photo is in the 1st place of the folder 260708.

Please please please PLEASE give us a unique URL for a photo that is not dependent on a position in the album. I know its a pain to recode, but it is SO important.  Messages with links are useless after a few weeks, and for my groups, the archiving of messages and photos is so important.  Knowing that later messages have incorrect links for photos seriously undermines the usefulness of so much of what we do.

I'm still begging for this to be changed.  Is there anyway I can help make this happen?

Jen Weber

Thanks for the replies!

For me, changing the Download features isn't nearly as important of a feature. In fact, I can live without it, as I've never really interacted with it anyway.  I enjoy the larger view that happens when I click on a photo in an album, and I think most of my friends in my groups also use this to view individual photos.

I'm sorry that changing to a stable URL means a new data structure.  Could that be done though?  This would really improve my groups' ease of use by a tremendous amount.  I think the fact that it has been suggested multiple times shows the need for it.

I know I'm speaking for hundreds of users when I ask/beg for it.  It would be INVALUABLE for our experience.  As it is, archiving messages that refer to photos is so much less effective since those photo links often end up pointing to the wrong thing.  I know newer members to our group find it hard to get a lot out of archived conversations because of this.  (We are a visual arts group).

I hppe this change can make its way to the "to implement" list for the folks that produce groups.io.!

Thanks!

Jen

Bruce Bowman

On Sat, Feb 13, 2021 at 10:58 PM, Jen Weber wrote:
On the interface looking at a picture in a album...the "download" button.  I never hit that, because I don't want to save photos to my computer, which is what I generally think of as "downloading".
Jen -- When you click the Download button, the file is sent as a binary data stream. What is subsequently done with the file depends on browser settings.

With JPEGs and other supported image formats, most browsers simply display the image [again]. It is possible to reconfigure your browser to do otherwise, or to force a download from the server side (using the "download" attribute in HTML5). I'm told this was once investigated but caused other problems.

PLEASE can the regular URL that we see when we navigate to the photo album be this second one, with the file name included?  This would eliminate so much confusion!
I can tell people to click the download button, but I am SURE very few people will figure this out otherwise.  Maybe even get rid of the download button, or make it actually bring up a save menu (if we set permissions as moderators/owners to allow file saving, though).
The "intermediate view" (for lack of a better term) allows you to move the photo to another location, edit its metadata, or assign it as a cover photo for the enclosing album. I don't know how we would accomplish those objectives if it were eliminated... a complete proposal needs to address this.

All that said, a URL that is stable as other photos within the album are moved/deleted would be handy. It's been suggested more than once. It would probably require a new data structure for albums (perhaps a linked list).

Regards,
Bruce

Yvette Money <yveterinarian@...>

I second the wish to have the URLs reflect the actual photo it has been generated for.  One issue with using the download button to get the correct URL is that the photo is always smaller.  I belong to a group of Miniaturists who very much appreciate being able to see the photo larger so that they can see tiny details.  Each week I showcase another photo from a member's album for the members to peruse.  It is confusing for them if the URL changes and they are no longer seeing the photo they were meant to see that week.
--
Yvette in Ontario

Jen Weber

Ok, I finally found something...

On the interface looking at a picture in a album...the "download" button.  I never hit that, because I don't want to save photos to my computer, which is what I generally think of as "downloading".

Normally, the URL at the top of the photo in an album shows like this
....photo/(albumID)/(position of photo in album)?p=Created,,,20,1,0,0

(for example:  https://jtacertificationstudygroup.groups.io/g/JTA.Level3.Study.Group/photo/260613/8?p=Created,,,20,1,0,0)
This is also what clicking on the photo and "copying address" will copy for you.

BUT for some reason, on the bottom, clicking on download takes me to a different view of the photo and the URL actually CONTAINS the file name! This is what I want!
...photo/(albumID)/(position of photo in album/(name of file)?p=Created,,,20,1,0,0

(for example: https://jtacertificationstudygroup.groups.io/g/JTA.Level3.Study.Group/photo/260613/8/JenW_S19%200292%20Jonquils.jpg?p=Created,,,20,1,0,0)

there is no actual saving or downloading of the file that happens.
I am in a group of 900 people and I dont think anyone has figured this out for years!!

PLEASE can the regular URL that we see when we navigate to the photo album be this second one, with the file name included?  This would eliminate so much confusion!
I can tell people to click the download button, but I am SURE very few people will figure this out otherwise.  Maybe even get rid of the download button, or make it actually bring up a save menu (if we set permissions as moderators/owners to allow file saving, though).

Jen Weber

PS - Thanks to another Jen for privately emailing me until I could figure this out...

Jen Weber

Hi there.

I am a member of groups that use a lot of photos to communicate.

In order to share or link a photo, we all just copy/paste the url of the photo.  These url's are coded to identify each photo based on their place in the album (rather than using their name or some other fixed variable.)

But whenever a new photo is added to an album, it is filed alphabetically, and the other photos have their numerical 'place" shifted.
What this means is that as soon as a new photo is added to an album, most of the links in messages to photos now point to the wrong photos, because photo ID's have changed but the posted url does not change with it.

This is extremely frustrating for myself and other group members.  Short of making a lot of new folders/albums, this becomes very hard to deal with.

I would suggest that either the URL generated for the photo contain the name of the photo rather than the place in the album.  If that is not a workable solution (which, as a non-coder, i understand it might be), then I would suggest having the option to have all new photos automatically added at the END of the album.  That way the only way the numerical place would be changed would be if photos are deleted (in which case, the wrong-link issue still exists, but hopefully is less frequently occuring.)

Otherwise, it would be nice to have a way to link to a specific photo in an album that is somehow pointing to it in a way that is permanent and not affected by other photos in the album.  I'm not sure what that would look like.

Thanks for your consideration.  This stumbling block is really the only big thing that makes this user experience difficult for me.

Jen Weber