locked Regarding Closed Threads #suggestion

Nightowl >8#

Hi Mark,

Having not been able to be in here since the end of February, I was puzzled when I found no reply button below a post. Before I was about to call it to your attention as a bug, John informed me that thread had been closed.

It would be nice if you could put either "Closed" or "Thread Closed" in place of the missing reply button.

I also noticed when deleting a draft, that you still maintained the "cancel" mode instead of "discard." The word cancel is an industry standard, and I think it would confuse too many people to change that when deciding not to post or deleting a draft. I appreciate that it stayed "cancel."

Thanks,

Brenda

On Wed, Mar 30, 2016 at 7:35 PM, Feathered Leader <featheredleader@...> wrote:
Hi Mark,

Having not been able to be in here since the end of February, I was puzzled when I found no reply button below a post. Before I was about to call it to your attention as a bug, John informed me that thread had been closed.

It would be nice if you could put either "Closed" or "Thread Closed" in place of the missing reply button.

It now says Closed where the Reply link was.

Brian Vogel <britechguy@...>

Mark,

          Are closed threads and locked threads the same thing?  I know in groups here moderators have locked various threads (as you well know) the following mini-lock character appears before those threads (and, I'd imagine, individual messages in a locked thread, but I don't use message view):

If closed is another status it might be helpful to use an icon specific to that status.

I also happen to disagree with Brenda about the use of "Cancel."   I find "Discard" used far more frequently than "Cancel" with regard to tossing a draft in the trash along with all changes one might have made to it when the decision not to post has been made.

--
Brian

On Fri, Jul 15, 2016 at 3:21 PM, Brian Vogel <britechguy@...> wrote:

          Are closed threads and locked threads the same thing?

Yes, closed and locked are the same thing. Should the wording be changed to locked? There's not really a good closed icon. The closest I could find is an X, representing close.

The icon *now* is a lock, so "locked" makes more sense to me than "closed."

It's dumb to buy smart water.

Brian Vogel <britechguy@...>

Yes, I would definitely start using the terminology that a thread is locked.  It's also used elsewhere and the meaning of a locked thread is clear.

Right now when I look at a locked thread the "Reply" link is inactive (which is appropriate) but it's presented in solid black (which I think is not).  What I've always called "stippled gray" is generally used for objects that are there as placeholders, but not functional at the moment.  Please consider using stippled gray instead of black; that's been around as a "Windows thing" for as long as I can remember.

--
Brian