moderated Maybe slightly-rearrange the AccountConfirm message content? #suggestion

Thanks Duane, I obviously overlooked that detail.

Hmmm, but maybe there is another way to achieve that intent. Maybe with an “Unsubscribe” – although worded differently – choice. Open, dead ends, and incomplete exchanges are frustrating to me. I’ve always been one for two-way exchange – even if it’s to say ‘I’m not interested.’ And/but getting people to demonstrate even that much ‘consideration’ can be difficult so should be made simple. Maybe put in a “GET LOST!” link that they could invoke to both vent their frustration at being approached and let you they’re not interested at the same time.

Dan Tucker, Groups.io  AFDRetiree’s Group Founder/Owner/Moderator

From: "main@beta.groups.io" <main@beta.groups.io> on behalf of Duane <txpigeon@...>
Date: Tuesday, January 26, 2021 at 12:36 PM
To: "main@beta.groups.io" <main@beta.groups.io>
Subject: Re: [beta] Maybe slightly-rearrange the AccountConfirm message content? #suggestion

On Tue, Jan 26, 2021 at 03:17 PM, Dan Tucker - FireTuck wrote:

“If you are not interested, or if [Invitee Email Address] is not your email address, please ignore this email.” Change to: “If you are not interested, or if [Invitee Email Address] is not your email address, please ignore this email reply to let us know so we can remove your address from our data.” – (“…or list.”)

It seems to me that could cause other complications.  The Confirmation of Email Address is sent by the system, so any replies wouldn't be seen by any group.  As it works, that would be seen as confirmation since they replied as noted further up the message, "If you only want to send and receive messages, reply to this email to confirm your email address and activate your membership."

On Tue, Jan 26, 2021 at 03:17 PM, Dan Tucker - FireTuck wrote:
“If you are not interested, or if [Invitee Email Address] is not your email address, please ignore this email.” Change to: “If you are not interested, or if [Invitee Email Address] is not your email address, please ignore this email reply to let us know so we can remove your address from our data.” – (“…or list.”)
It seems to me that could cause other complications.  The Confirmation of Email Address is sent by the system, so any replies wouldn't be seen by any group.  As it works, that would be seen as confirmation since they replied as noted further up the message, "If you only want to send and receive messages, reply to this email to confirm your email address and activate your membership."

Duane

IMHO, if you’re going to change anything in this – I’ve already done some workaround on it – I would include this minor change:

“If you are not interested, or if [Invitee Email Address] is not your email address, please ignore this email.” Change to: “If you are not interested, or if [Invitee Email Address] is not your email address, please ignore this email reply to let us know so we can remove your address from our data.” – (“…or list.”)

I HATE sending something out and not knowing whether it: went into the SPAM box, or; into the ‘Junk’ file, or; was ignored, or; dropped below the active horizon, or; they are not interested but didn’t let me know, or; went into a cyber hole. If I’m ‘soliciting’ members – in my case I’m trying to locate some retirees that have been ‘off the radar’ for years in some cases – I’d like to know whether they even are alive anymore and/or just don’t want to be bothered.

Dan Tucker, Groups.io  AFDRetiree’s Group Founder/Owner/Moderator

From: "main@beta.groups.io" <main@beta.groups.io> on behalf of "Christos G. Psarras" <christos@...>
Date: Tuesday, January 26, 2021 at 10:52 AM
To: "main@beta.groups.io" <main@beta.groups.io>

Hi Mark et al,

I suggest a simple and quick tweak.

The current text for the account confirmation message is as such:

Hello,

Thank you for your interest in Groups.io. If you did not request or do not want to join Groups.io, please ignore this message.

If you only want to send and receive messages, reply to this email to confirm your email address and activate your membership.

·  Messages will be sent to you at 12345@...

If you want to use the resources and read messages on the website, please click on the link below to confirm your email address, set up a password, and choose other subscription settings:

<Confirm account>

Cheers,
The Groups.io Team

It looks a bit messy IMO; the way the text is currently formatted, especially with the single bullet where it is, could be argued that it can potentially imply to a non-savvy/knowledgeable person that email messages would be sent to them only if they wanted"If you only want to send and receive email messages".

Plus from a hierarchy POV, the email addy is the parent and the two options the children; the current visual implies no parent and just two slightly-dissonant siblings vying for attention.

I would suggest to slightly reformat by moving the email address up "one step" so it's on its own as the top of the hierarchy.  Optionally (since the website option is a superset of the email-only option) also slightly enhance the website option:

Modify

If you want to use the resources and read messages on the website, please click on the link below to confirm your email address, set up a password, and choose other subscription settings:

to something like this:

If you want to also be able to use the group [online/website] resources and be able to also read and reply to messages on the website, please click on the link below to confirm your email address (and activate your membership), plus set up a website password, and choose other group subscription or [website/account] settings:  (bolding here is only for clarification of proposed changes)

It now becomes:

Hello,

Thank you for your interest  ...............................

Messages will be sent to you at 12345@...  (bolded for HTML, not sure if we are sending out these notices as text-only)

·  If you only want to send and receive messages, reply to this email to confirm your email address and activate your membership.

·  If you want to also be able to use the group [online/website] resources and be able to also read and reply to messages on the website, please click on the link below to confirm your email address (and activate your membership), plus set up a website password, and choose other group subscription or website settings: <Confirm account>  (maybe bolded for emphasis)

Cheers,
The Groups.io Team

Alternatively, don't use the bullets, un-indent the two options and move to the left and use "- " text bullets instead.

I believe the proposed changes can give the message a less-ambiguous/more-precise and cleaner visual+meaning flow to the average user who (bothers to) read it.  The totally-totally-basic user will still visually "see" the same first option as before and still as easily do it as they would have done as before, so we are not messing with them at all; but even for them or for the more savvy-ish users who do bother/want to read the rest of the text and options, we are being a lot more explicit/helpful as to what it does.

Cheers,
Christos