moderated Ability to add hashtags in replies #suggestion

On Mon, Jan 25, 2021 at 09:32 AM, Joseph Lee wrote:
when you change subject lines, topics are split, and I believe this is also the case when hashtags are introduced by members in the middle of a topic.
No, it doesn't split if a tag is added. Even if you explicitly use the "split" function on the web to add a tag, it doesn't split. It stays the same thread/topic.

Hi Mark,

I'm with the majority:  Users, no, but it could probably work (with caveats) for only the mods and it may require extra work from you now and possibly later; or work (as intended) for just you and that would require less work overall.

But just curious...

>>> I could add the #done hashtag, instead of having to go to the website and editing the topic

- Construct reply as normally, but with #newhashtag also and email in.  (?? OR, instead of the normal address, email the message to (non-published) group+addhashtag@groups.... possibly ??)
- If sender not an admin, treat as now, strip #newhashtag and post, done.
- If an admin, scan the subject hashtags to see if there is a new one (or ones if recursion was used for possibly adding more than one capability)
- If one found, use that and call the code that runs when a hashtag is manually added to a topic by the admin.
- Post the message now, and done.

Is something like this what you had in mind?   It mimics an admin adding a hashtag so effect-wise, nothing changes, not any new disconnects or new side-effects; same thing if currently an admin did the topic hashtag addition by hand then turned around and send the message (with or without the new hashtag), or vice versa.

Cheers,
Christos

Bruce Bowman

On Mon, Jan 25, 2021 at 12:25 PM, Mark Fletcher wrote:
Currently, if you change the subject in a reply, to add an additional hashtag, that hashtag is just ignored. What do you all think about changing that, so that replies to topics can add hashtags?
Hashtags are a function of the topic, not a message. Is the intent that adding a hashtag to a subject line in a reply would apply only to that one message (my preference)? Or would that automatically propagate to all the other messages in the topic?

If the former, wouldn't that create a discrepancy between the emailed messages and what appears in the message archive? If the latter, what are the effects on the properties of messages previously posted in that topic (such as reply-to options, moderation, topic duration, and so on)?

To mix a metaphor, I'm having a hard time wrapping my head around this can of worms. Right now it just seems like asking for a slew of unintended, new "features." I have seen people reply to threads that are years old; and I can just see someone deciding to retroactively add a hashtag -- perhaps years from now -- with the wrong Topic Duration, causing large portions of the message archive to disappear.

Regards,
Bruce

In retrospect I think, or am guessing, that the reason for ignoring added emailed tags originally was precisely that scenario and others like it, wherein non-mod members, through their ability to change subject lines via email, could also add tags that way. Maybe it’s possible to restrict to mods. If not, how about restricting this ability to the owner of groups.io? 😊

On Jan 25, 2021, at 9:46 AM, Malcolm Austen <malcolm.austen@...> wrote:

Mark,

I think this would be fine if restricted to moderators. Otherwise we could have the scenario ...
 1. member posts with a hashtag
 2. moderator removes hashtag but the emails have already gone out with it
 3. first reply by email adds it back in
 4. repeat 2 & 3 ad infinitum

Malcolm.

--
Malcolm Austen <malcolm.austen@...>

On 25/01/2021 17:25:53, Mark Fletcher <markf@corp.groups.io> wrote:

Hi All,

Currently, if you change the subject in a reply, to add an additional hashtag, that hashtag is just ignored. What do you all think about changing that, so that replies to topics can add hashtags?

I'm asking because in one particular case for me, it'd make things easier. As Andy has noted, I have not been keeping up with adding the #done hashtag to #suggestion topics where I've implemented the suggestion. It would be convenient if, when I reply indicating I've implemented the suggestion, that I could add the #done hashtag, instead of having to go to the website and editing the topic.

Even though it'd make things easier in this instance, I'm not sure it's a good idea overall, hence this email. Do people have strong feelings about this? I'm not particularly interested in adding a group toggle for this.

Malcolm Austen

[...]

Fine with me as long as tags added by non-mods are ignored. Is that possible to implement? They can’t be added even now by non-mods even via web, since it requires a subject edit. But non-mods can change subjects vis email. I would not want them adding tags that way.

Andy Wedge

Hi Mark,

On Mon, Jan 25, 2021 at 05:25 PM, Mark Fletcher wrote:
Even though it'd make things easier in this instance, I'm not sure it's a good idea overall, hence this email. Do people have strong feelings about this?
It has been the way it is since I started using Groups.io so it may help if I understood the rationale for ignoring hashtags on replies to start with.  I've managed to get most of the members in my group to use hashtags sensibly and they understand that they apply on the first message of a new topic. So, unless there are clear benefits in changing it, I'm happy with the way it is now.

Regards
Andy

Hi,

I think some groups might appreciate this. Consider:

A member posts a new message that was traditionally associated with a hashtag. Somehow, the member has forgotten to attach a hashtag. Someone else replies (perhaps an owner) and tries to add the needed hashtag without going to the web archive and changing it.

One concern is how this will handle topic splits. As pointed out by a moderator of a list I’m a part of, when you change subject lines, topics are split, and I believe this is also the case when hashtags are introduced by members in the middle of a topic. If I understand this proposal correctly, topics won’t be split even if hashtags are introduced when replying. Am I right on this?

Thanks.

Cheers,

Joseph