moderated Periods in subgroup name? #bug

On Wed, Jan 20, 2021 at 5:37 PM Christos G. Psarras <christos@...> wrote:
Yeah, there's a disconnect somewhere:

1. In the main/subgroup settings screen, It implies the same rules apply for either naming a main or a subgroup, the blurb displays the same: "no spaces, pluses, slashes, or underscores"; no period is mentioned.
2. The code will not let you use a period while naming a main group, and the Owner manual also states periods not allowed.
3. The code will let you use a period while naming a subgroup, but the Owner manual states periods not allowed.

The code is correct, the description wasn't. I've changed the help text on the group settings page so that it no longer says periods are not allowed for subgroup names.

We don't allow periods for main group names because main group names are used as subdomains when you add subgroups, and subdomains cannot have periods in them.

Yeah, there's a disconnect somewhere:

1. In the main/subgroup settings screen, It implies the same rules apply for either naming a main or a subgroup, the blurb displays the same: "no spaces, pluses, slashes, or underscores"; no period is mentioned.
2. The code will not let you use a period while naming a main group, and the Owner manual also states periods not allowed.
3. The code will let you use a period while naming a subgroup, but the Owner manual states periods not allowed.

Cheers,
Christos

Bob Bellizzi

But then again, since  it is documented as unacceptable, an ambitious coder might just "fix the error" because it  is technically an error.
I had a programmer at HP years ago who decided to rewrite the computer to computer code for their 1st timeshare system because,
as he said when we happened  to be at the same lunch table: "jeez, the code was sloppy and wasteful and I simply decided  to clean it up."
I asked if it was part of a change order, he said no. I said, "GOTTA GO" because Bill Hewlett just personally chewed me out about all of the hung up time share systems owners who where complaining about systems locking  up.  I was in charge of  the  front end code and hardware and it looked like that was the obvious problem.

--

Bob Bellizzi

Duane,

I just did that – without any consideration at all. I. Just. Did. That. I didn’t read any directions.

And it worked (or so far has appeared to have) just fine. The New Subgroup Notice went out without any blips.

Just sayin’

Dan Tucker, Groups.io  AFDRetiree’s Group Founder/Owner/Moderator

From: "main@beta.groups.io" <main@beta.groups.io> on behalf of Duane <txpigeon@...>
Date: Wednesday, January 20, 2021 at 3:05 PM
To: "main@beta.groups.io" <main@beta.groups.io>
Subject: [beta] Periods in subgroup name? #bug

Someone on GMF reported creating a subgroup with periods in the name (e.g. my.sub.group).  I was about to say that they couldn't, so had to test and found that they seem to work.  The documentation says they're not acceptable, https://groups.io/helpcenter/ownersmanual/1/using-subgroups/creating-a-subgroup  Does this only apply to main groups?  I'd like clarification on which is correct for subgroups.  It may not really be a bug, just an undocumented feature!