moderated #suggestion Need to permit different email addresses for group joining #suggestion

Andy Wedge

On Mon, Jan 18, 2021 at 10:04 PM, judy Warden wrote:
Consequently, I already have two accounts so tried to set up a third but seems it didn't let me. Got around this by opening with a new browser.
You don't actually state what error message, if any, you see when you say 'it didn't let me'.  Groups.io uses a cookie to keep track of whether someone is logged in or not so if you resolved your issue by using a different browser it suggests you may not have logged out from one account before trying to access another in the same browser session. Many Owners and Mods have multiple accounts and some manage this by using different browsers. Personally, I use Firefox with the Multi-account Containers add-on which isolates cookies between different browser tabs.  That way I can have multiple accounts logged into Groups.io at one time and just switch browser tabs to access them.

One of the main reasons that Owners and Mods have multiple accounts is so that they can view their groups from different perspectives. The options available to your group members will most likely be different to what a group owner sees and it's helpful to have a member's view especially when group settings are being changed.  This may not have been your initial reason for asking but something to consider anyway.

Regards
Andy

judy Warden <myizrblu@...>

That is what I  am already doing and it seems like a waste of time and space to have different .io accts for different groups.  Would it be much more simple to have 0ne .io account with the option in subsciptions to changed that group to a preferred address rather than many .io accounts.   Consequently, I already have two accounts so tried to set up a third but seems it didn't let me. Got around this by opening with a new browser.
Have a great day,
AZJudy

On Mon, Jan 18, 2021 at 8:30 AM Duane <txpigeon@...> wrote:
On Mon, Jan 18, 2021 at 09:14 AM, judy Warden wrote:
We could join a group and then state the address we preferred to use for that specific group.
You can already do that, you just need a different account using the other email address(es) when joining a group.  The only difference is that you're responsible for keeping things separate instead of the site.  I use several emails/accounts on GIO, so it's easy to keep them separate (and keep me less confused.)  BTW, this has been discussed before and doesn't seem to be a pressing concern.

 Judy

Judy,

Depending on what you want to achieve by having different email addresses for each group, we may can offer a way of doing it; for example, if what you like by this scheme is that you have "clean"/separate inboxes, you can achieve this by adding all the accounts you want to use to your main GIO account as aliases, and creating Forward-then-Delete rules/filters on that main account's inbox to route the messages to the respective inboxes by using the [group_tag] value in the subject line as the "router".  So by spending a few minutes, you can do this and the end result will be the same more-or-less as it was on yahoo, inbound group emails still go to the separate inboxes as before; the only difference is that if you reply to one of those routed messages from the aliased inbox, your reply will not show as coming from that account but from the main one.

If you're not familiar with account aliases, read here:
https://groups.io/helpcenter/membersmanual/1/understanding-groups-io-accounts/setting-account-preferences-and-viewing-account-information
It allows you to send messages to your group from a different email address than your main one.  By augmenting that with the inbox filter/rule routing you now get back the ability to also receive group messages to physically-different inboxes, same behavior as was on yahoo.

If this is not the reason for wanting this, let us know.

Cheers,
Christos

Duane

On Mon, Jan 18, 2021 at 09:14 AM, judy Warden wrote:
We could join a group and then state the address we preferred to use for that specific group.
You can already do that, you just need a different account using the other email address(es) when joining a group.  The only difference is that you're responsible for keeping things separate instead of the site.  I use several emails/accounts on GIO, so it's easy to keep them separate (and keep me less confused.)  BTW, this has been discussed before and doesn't seem to be a pressing concern.

Duane

Andy Wedge

On Mon, Jan 18, 2021 at 03:14 PM, judy Warden wrote:
Many people like to use different email addresses for different groups.
You can use a different address for a different group is you wish by creating a different account and subscribing to a group with that.

Under Yahoo groups, We could join a group and then state the address we preferred to use for that specific group.
The organisation of Groups.io is different.  The account (email address) is the top-level entity and you subscribe to groups from that. All groups subscribed to by one account therefore use the same email address.  You can alternative posting addresses (Aliases) but I suspect that is not what you are looking for.

  I have search the options and there is no way to add a preferred address to that one group.
That's because Groups.io is organised differently.

The option definitely should be added to the subscription options for a specific group.
That would seem to change the fundamental organisation of Groups.io so it's not likely to happen.  See the Owner's Manual and Quick Start Guide in the Help Centre  for more details.

Andy

judy Warden <myizrblu@...>

Many people like to use different email addresses for different groups.  Under Yahoo groups, We could join a group and then state the address we preferred to use for that specific group.  I have search the options and there is no way to add a preferred address to that one group.  The option definitely should be added to the subscription options for a specific group.

Ex:preferred email address you want to use for this group.   NOTE: it is not changing the .io. account main email. Just the group preference address
 Judy