Topics

banned spamming email address attempted message logged as coming from "unconfirmed member" #bug

A couple of days ago, my group logged an obviously spam attempted message from nonmember email address X. I immediately banned the address.

This morning there was another log entry from the same address, this time logged as from "unconfirmed member x." The email address has an NC in the banned member list but this is not an "unconfirmed member," it's a banned email address.

The term "unconfirmed member" really threw me at first and I started looking through the pending member list. So hopefully this can be changed to log as "message from banned email address" or something like that.

On Tue, Jan 12, 2021 at 12:58 PM J_Catlady <j.olivia.catlady@...> wrote:
A couple of days ago, my group logged an obviously spam attempted message from nonmember email address X. I immediately banned the address.

This morning there was another log entry from the same address, this time logged as from "unconfirmed member x." The email address has an NC in the banned member list but this is not an "unconfirmed member," it's a banned email address.

The term "unconfirmed member" really threw me at first and I started looking through the pending member list. So hopefully this can be changed to log as "message from banned email address" or something like that.

This has been fixed. Also, we should no longer display any badges next to banned members in the /members page.

On Fri, Jan 15, 2021 at 10:47 AM, Mark Fletcher wrote:
we should no longer display any badges next to banned members
Not a big deal but I preferred to see the NC badge, because it let me know the email address is not even a groups.io account. My objection was solely to the log description as the message coming from "unconfirmed member," because the email address is not a member. There are other situations where an email address in the banned list is referred to as a "member" that are disconcerting, but I don't remember right now what they are. If another comes up I'll let you know.