Topics

moderated Mobile/desktop menu flip #bug

Bruce Bowman

Mark -- I'm here to ask that you please reconsider the cutoff point between desktop and mobile menus.

Visually impaired people continue to struggle with it (ref: https://groups.io/g/GroupManagersForum/topic/80693046). It's difficult to explain why their menu items have disappeared when they haven't changed anything. Even those who are not blind may need fairly high zoom to be able to read the content.

This seems like a high price to pay just so users of some tablets don't have to rotate their device by 90 degrees. Thanks for your consideration.

Regards,
Bruce

On Fri, Jan 15, 2021 at 12:02 PM Andy Wedge <andy_wedge@...> wrote:

The only other thing I would suggest is perhaps a slightly different separator above the 'About' menu item. It would help to differentiate between the menu items that relate to the page you are on and those that are on all desktop views at the bottom of the page.

Done.

Cheers,
Mark

Andy Wedge

On Fri, Jan 15, 2021 at 06:04 PM, Mark Fletcher wrote:
The hamburger menus now slide in from the left, echoing where the sidebars are on wider pages. The group hamburger menu now has all the same items as the full screen sidebar, in the same order, and with the Admin toggle.
That looks and feels much better. Thanks.

The only other thing I would suggest is perhaps a slightly different separator above the 'About' menu item. It would help to differentiate between the menu items that relate to the page you are on and those that are on all desktop views at the bottom of the page.

Question: The group hamburger menu duplicates the items that appear on the bottom menu (Messages, Post, Chats). Should I remove those items from the hamburger menu?
I would leave the icons at the bottom of the group page otherwise more user actions are required to get to those features which are probably the ones most commonly used.

Andy

Duane

On Fri, Jan 15, 2021 at 12:04 PM, Mark Fletcher wrote:
Question: The group hamburger menu duplicates the items that appear on the bottom menu (Messages, Post, Chats). Should I remove those items from the hamburger menu?
I, personally, don't have a problem with them being in both places, but some might.

Duane

Hi All,

I've made some adjustments. The hamburger menus now slide in from the left, echoing where the sidebars are on wider pages. The group hamburger menu now has all the same items as the full screen sidebar, in the same order, and with the Admin toggle. The user hamburger menu (/groups, etc) now has the missing Topics items.

Question: The group hamburger menu duplicates the items that appear on the bottom menu (Messages, Post, Chats). Should I remove those items from the hamburger menu?

Please let me know if you have any questions or suggestions.

On Thu, Jan 14, 2021 at 05:32 AM, Andy Wedge wrote:
The options on the hamburger menu are a completely different order to those when viewed from the left-side menu.
And there are some options missing, depending on which page you're on.  For example, if I'm on the overview page, https://groups.io/groups, I see no way to get to the Topics overview, https://groups.io/topics (unless I've totally missed it.)

I also noticed that when I'm on the overview page, https://groups.io/groups, adjusting the window width can give 2 possible results as it gets more narrow.  The first is the somewhat expected one with the icons at the bottom.  Narrowing further gives me the mobile view using the group icons down the page (and not showing some of the normal columns) in addition to the icons at the bottom.

Duane

Sandi D <sandi.asgtechie@...>

It's taking some getting used to. Came at a day when I really didn't have time to hunt and peck around. I agree, it would have been far easier to figure out if it mirrored the left side menu I saw before. But as with everything else, I am adapting.
Now I am wondering if a feature can be added sometime in the future so I can slide the listed items up and down into an order that I prefer.
--
Sandi Dickenson

Andy Wedge

On Tue, Jan 12, 2021 at 10:34 PM, Mark Fletcher wrote:
I also improved the behavior of the hamburger menus; they're now drawers that slide in from the side.

The options on the hamburger menu are a completely different order to those when viewed from the left-side menu. It would be really helpful if they were at least in the same order and even better if there was a collapsible Admin grouping too.

Thanks
Andy

Bruce Bowman

Thanks for the explanation, Mark. Sparked a few questions in GMF.

The system still needs a little tweaking. See attached screenshot on what I get when the viewport is exactly 1239.

Bruce

On Tue, Jan 12, 2021 at 12:58 PM Bruce Bowman <bruce.bowman@...> wrote:
I've noticed today that my display flips to the mobile "hamburger" menus at a screen width below around 1237 pixels (100% zoom). Could have sworn that number was considerably lower not too long ago.

Is this a recent change...and if so, was it intentional?

It was an intentional change that went in yesterday, as part of my app work. Viewing the site on an iPad in portrait mode was not great, with the group sidebar taking up a sizeable chunk of display space. That's why I changed it. I also improved the behavior of the hamburger menus; they're now drawers that slide in from the side.

Bruce Bowman

I've noticed today that my display flips to the mobile "hamburger" menus at a screen width below around 1237 pixels (100% zoom). Could have sworn that number was considerably lower not too long ago.

Is this a recent change...and if so, was it intentional?

Thanks,
Bruce