better member list filtering #suggestion

Louie S

I love the additional filtering options.

One thing that that would make a bit easier to use is to have the "Apply" button at the top of the list. My most frequent filter settings are from the top and my default browser window is too small to show the entire list of options. So every time set a filter I have to also scroll down (up?)  to reveal the "Apply" button.

Thanks,

-louie

Andy Wedge

On Thu, Apr 8, 2021 at 07:41 PM, Bruce Bowman wrote:
On Thu, Apr 8, 2021 at 09:40 AM, Andy Wedge wrote:
On a mobile phone there is no filter option (in portrait or landscape) even though there seems to be space to display it.
After playing around with my browser window widths, it seems that the page styling will display the filter button only if the width is sufficient to display the resulting menu (which is, frankly, pretty wide). At least that's the way it seems to be working on this end. If the alternative is to display a button that "does nothing," this behavior may be preferable.
On my Android phone, things like the search box on the member list and the list of hashtags when using the Add Tags during message composition appear in separate windows so I think the same could be done for the new member list filters.

Andy

Mark Murphy

Thank you, Mark, this is a really useful new feature.

I think we all know how unusual it is in the business world generally, and IT specifically, for user-requested changes to be quickly implemented through this kind of dialog. Just more reason to support GIO.

On Fri, Apr 9, 2021 at 10:43 AM Bruce Bowman <bruce.bowman@...> wrote:
Mark -- After applying the member list filter, the legend at the bottom of the page says "-1 checked," and remains one off until I click "Uncheck all."

Oops. Fixed.

On Fri, Apr 9, 2021 at 12:12 PM, Mark Fletcher wrote:
On Fri, Apr 9, 2021 at 4:10 AM Duane <txpigeon@...> wrote:
Found another little bug this morning.  Selecting "Bouncing" also automatically selects NC, but the NC members aren't included on the results page.  If you then go back into the filter box and don't change anything (untick NC), but do click Apply, it then includes NC results.

This has been fixed.
But seems to have created a different one.  After selecting Bouncing and Apply, the list shows them correctly.  The number at the upper right says 1-4 of 4 as it should.  Below the list, it says -1 selected.  This throws off the number displayed there (when selecting) by -1.  If I go ahead and send a bounce probe, the confirmation box matches the actual number selected.

In addition, if I use the box to select all, it also shows all the boxes in the filter drop down as checked if I open it.  If I close it and open it again, it only shows Bouncing.

Bruce Bowman

Mark -- After applying the member list filter, the legend at the bottom of the page says "-1 checked," and remains one off until I click "Uncheck all."

I don't know how this may affect any subsequent activity performed using the Actions menu.

FYI,
Bruce

On Thu, Apr 8, 2021 at 5:59 PM Duane <txpigeon@...> wrote:
On Thu, Apr 8, 2021 at 07:44 PM, coprosowner wrote:
One small bug maybe.  I selected 4 members who needed a bounce probe.  It shows the number 24 (lower left).
Checking on this, I also saw some strange numbers.  Page shows 30, select all box shows 52.  When I first started the test, selecting the first 8 gave a 13 at the bottom, but when I tried again later, it was correct.  Definitely some gremlins running loose.

This bug has been fixed.

On Fri, Apr 9, 2021 at 4:10 AM Duane <txpigeon@...> wrote:
Found another little bug this morning.  Selecting "Bouncing" also automatically selects NC, but the NC members aren't included on the results page.  If you then go back into the filter box and don't change anything (untick NC), but do click Apply, it then includes NC results.

This has been fixed.

On Fri, Apr 9, 2021 at 08:43 AM, Bruce Bowman wrote:
Unfortunately, the Past Members list is only available for paid groups.
Whereas the Banned list is available on all groups.

Duane

Andy Wedge

On Fri, Apr 9, 2021 at 02:43 PM, Bruce Bowman wrote:

I think a Banned checkbox would be more applicable to filter options on the Past member's list.
Unfortunately, the Past Members list is only available for paid groups.
Hmm. My main focus and testing to date has been on my premium group but I've just done some tests on my freebie group and see what you mean.

Given that the list of checkbox options is context sensitive already based upon member permissions, then not displaying the Banned checkbox on premium groups would seem to make sense as anyone who has been banned, unbanned, removed or left etc. appears on the Past members list.

Andy

Chris Jones

On Fri, Apr 9, 2021 at 02:46 PM, Anita L wrote:
I see the filler and boxes but when you check it and apply
where does it go?

What you mean by "where does it go?"

I am trying to have a way to check for members who are bouncing.
I really liked it the way it was.
Maybe can you do a tab for bouncing?

Er... there is one there, third from the top.

Chris

Ok! I've figured this whole deal out and it's fabulous! Let me explain.

Formerly, there was a single dropdown for the various categories of members (members, pending, bouncing, etc.). Now, there are two boxes: the one called "members" which *looks* the same as before on the outside but is no longer a dropdown. Clicking on that gives you the full membership list (current members). The other categories - bouncing, pending, etc. - that were formerly in that dropdown have been greatly added to and been moved to the light-blue thingy. If you click on that, you can filter by all sorts of criteria that weren't there before.

So all that's really happened (aside for the possible bug mentioned by Andy) is that the filtering criteria have been greatly added to but moved to a separate location, next door to the full member list, which is the former dark-blue box.

And yes, guys, the answer to my question "am I totally losing" it is yes. I somehow totally forgot, after 6+ years of being here, that clicking on "Members" on the left first takes you to the pending members. Nothing in that part has changed.

Anita L

I dont understand how this works?
I see the filler and boxes but when you check it and apply
where does it go?
I am trying to have a way to check for members who are bouncing.
I really liked it the way it was.
Maybe can you do a tab for bouncing?

Thanks

Anita

Bruce Bowman

On Fri, Apr 9, 2021 at 09:27 AM, Andy Wedge wrote:
Banning a member removes them from the group according to the Owner's Manual...
More accurately, banning an address keeps it from joining. You can ban addresses that are not current members.

...so I don't think it makes sense to have a checkbox option for banned members as they should never appear on the member list.
With the pull-down menu now gone, the filter list seems as good as anything.

I think a Banned checkbox would be more applicable to filter options on the Past member's list.
Unfortunately, the Past Members list is only available for paid groups. We'd need some other way to do this.

Regards,
Bruce

Chris Jones

On Fri, Apr 9, 2021 at 02:27 PM, Andy Wedge wrote:
I don't think it makes sense to have a checkbox option for banned members as they should never appear on the member list.
Yes it does make sense; while they remain "banned members" they are prevented from attempting to rejoin using the same email address. As they don't enter the calculation for charging their presence as notional members does no harm at all.

Chris

Andy Wedge

Banning a member removes them from the group according to the Owner's Manual so I don't think it makes sense to have a checkbox option for banned members as they should never appear on the member list.

I think a Banned checkbox would be more applicable to filter options on the Past member's list.

Andy

Duane

Found another little bug this morning.  Selecting "Bouncing" also automatically selects NC, but the NC members aren't included on the results page.  If you then go back into the filter box and don't change anything (untick NC), but do click Apply, it then includes NC results.

Niman H

I'm not seeing that... I am on a Windows desktop.
The only way I have found to see the amount of members is check the box bottom left corner. But what you are describing is easier. I just don't see it - ?
Thanks
Sally

On Thu, Apr 8, 2021 at 04:34 PM, Niman H wrote:
Can it show somewhere how many members are in the category/filter that you chose?
That would show up as the number of members listed on the results page in the upper right corner after you apply the filter.

On Thu, Apr 8, 2021 at 07:44 PM, coprosowner wrote:
One small bug maybe.  I selected 4 members who needed a bounce probe.  It shows the number 24 (lower left).
Checking on this, I also saw some strange numbers.  Page shows 30, select all box shows 52.  When I first started the test, selecting the first 8 gave a 13 at the bottom, but when I tried again later, it was correct.  Definitely some gremlins running loose.

Duane

coprosowner

One small bug maybe.  I selected 4 members who needed a bounce probe.  It shows the number 24 (lower left).  24 was also the number that came up when the window asks Do you want to send the Bounce Probe.
I flunked algebra so I am of no help.

Thanks,

Peter