Topics

moderated Simplified Donation feature #suggestion

Janice

Shal,
I like your sponsorship suggestion.  I would like to suggest that groups.io automatically generate some kind of generic acknowledgement to the sponsor/donor maybe in the form of a thank you email.

Janice B
New Statler Siblings
Long Arm Quilters

Samuel,

I did not see this post of yours, Shal, when I posted my similar
suggestion:
Not a problem.

I like the word "Sponsor" for this function versus "Donations", and I'm both endorsing and stealing it!

So, where I said that from the member's viewpoint there would be no significant difference with the existing mechanism, I now add the exception that the page would have the label "Sponsor" and whatever wording tweaks to be consistent with that.

Shal

Samuel Murrayy

On Mon, Jan 4, 2021 at 09:13 PM, Shal Farley wrote:
I thought I'd break this out as a separate Suggestion, since it is
actually separate from the Pricing Changes topic.

I did not see this post of yours, Shal, when I posted my similar suggestion:

https://beta.groups.io/g/main/message/27638

Samuel

Andy,

If Groups.io is holding group members' donations made on the understanding that they would be used to pay group subscription fees, what happens if a Group owner decides to close the group down in the meantime?

My concept stated "No Refunds". In that case the remaining prepayment would convert to Groups.io.

I'm sure there must be lots of legal and financial rules that would need to be satisfied in order to operate in this manner.

I'm not a lawyer, but I doubt it amounts to anything more than prior notice of the policy. There are always exceptional cases, and Mark may need to use his judgement about such cases.

if that's not the intention then a simpler solution (from an Admin point of view) would probably be to have members make donations. I think the downside of that though is that there is less certainty of cash flow which doesn't really help business planning.

I don't follow what you said there. The current Donation mechanism and my proposed Simplified mechanism are both based on the idea that members will donate to a shared goal. The significant difference is that the current mechanism allows donation for unrestricted purposes: It is up to the group owner to follow-through with the stated purpose.

I can understand the option to deal with group owners for payments (less people to deal with so less of an admin overhead) and I'm happy with that.

That is the current mechanism. And while it is simpler in that sense, it has also proven unable to bring in enough income for Groups.io - hence the other topic about the Pricing Changes.

Necessity being the mother of invention, this suggestion is motivated in large part to increase that income by making it easier for group owners to raise the funds necessary to pay the group's plan fees.

Even if Mark reversed his decision on grandfathered basic groups and said there would be a nominal $10 per year fee I bet most people would stay with Groups.io.

I don't want to engage in the Pricing debate on this topic, there's enough of that in the other.
Shal

Andy Wedge

Hi Shal

On Mon, Jan 4, 2021 at 08:13 PM, Shal Farley wrote:
Overpayment rolls over to next plan payment.
If Groups.io is holding group members' donations made on the understanding that they would be used to pay group subscription fees, what happens if a Group owner decides to close the group down in the meantime?  You could end up with lots of people demanding refunds.  I'm sure there must be lots of legal and financial rules that would need to be satisfied in order to operate in this manner.   if that's not the intention then a simpler solution (from an Admin point of view) would probably be to have members make donations. I think the downside of that though is that there is less certainty of cash flow which doesn't really help business planning.

I can understand the option to deal with group owners for payments (less people to deal with so less of an admin overhead) and I'm happy with that. I use a service and I pay for it. The trouble with saying things are 'free' is that people don't appreciate the value of what they're getting.  Personally I think there should be a charge for basic groups.  Even if Mark reversed his decision on grandfathered basic groups and said there would be a nominal $10 per year fee I bet most people would stay with Groups.io.

Andy

Mark,

I thought I'd break this out as a separate Suggestion, since it is actually separate from the Pricing Changes topic.

If any aspects of this suggestion reflect a naivety with regard to the existing Donation mechanism that's my fault: so far I've neither used or tested it, I've only read the Owners Manual sections about it.

Simplifications:

No reliance on group-owner to sign up with a processing service to collect payments.

Only a single Donation request may be created, its proceeds are credited as a prepayment to the group's next plan payment.

Motivation:

The need to create a Stripe account is a stumbling block for many group owners who might otherwise rely on members to (help) support the group's plan payments:

o Complexity of the setup
o Dealing with a third-party to collect payments
o Exposing their personal bank account to said third party
o Concern over tax implications of receiving funds
o Concern over fiduciary responsibilities to donees.

Avoids double-payment of Stripe fees - first when the member donates to the group owner, and again when the group payor pays the plan fee.

Concepts:

From the group management (owner/moderator) viewpoint similar to the existing Donation mechanism, absent the step of setting up a Stripe account, and with the creation of a Donation request limited to a single one for prepayments.

From the Member's viewpoint no significant difference from the existing Donation mechanism.

Overpayment rolls over to next plan payment.

Underpayment must be made up by group payor on normal plan payment terms.

No refunds. When a group is closed any unused prepayment is retained by Groups.io.

Enhancement:

Extend the Simplified feature to Basic Groups, facilitating a "bootstrap" from Basic to Premium.

Shal